The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-12-2010, 04:09 PM

Cool pics and wonderful playing Michael. I enjoyed it very much.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:33 AM

OK, part 3, this is where I get to tell you about the guitars right?! (the following shots were taken from the Montreal Guitar Show site)

Well, I must say that I was blown away by the quality of what was on show, some stand-out instruments for me this year were:

Kathy Wingert's "klimt" guitar on the right, the little uke in front pretty much broke my heart too!

Mike Greenfield's work has hit new peaks of genius with the harp guitar for Andy Mckee

George Lowden's solo built guitars were absolutely lovely and a reminder of the roots of the Lowden company.

Michi Matsuda's flamenco guitar (right) showing his characteristically audacious design!

Sheldon Schwartz's work was drawing a lot of attention, especially his "Oracle" model (left and right!)

I was very, very happy to finally get the chance to play Jeff Traugott's guitars, it was worth the wait!

Ken Parker's feather-light archtop was gorgeous!

Linda Manzer's work was beautiful as always, the inlay on the Metheny model (by the very talented Mark Kett) is just gorgeous

Jenkins & Son are making some wild looking little guitars that sound wonderful

and John Osthoff's work was very beautiful.

As I said, the standard of building was extremely high and it was interesting to note the effect that the new rules governing the use of Brazilian rosewood were having. This year some of my favourite guitars were built from maple, the Somogyi "Andamento" modified dreadnought, Linda Manzer's maple "Manzer" were excellent and further proof (if any were needed) of what a wonderful material maple can be in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing.

So, here ends part 3, in part four I'll tell you more about the two instruments which stood out for me this year...
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

Last edited by Michael Watts; 07-14-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
You are a very happy camper!! I will admit the Somogyi aesthetic is one I don't share, though the flemenco is very nice!
Well, once you learn to associate the visuals with THAT sound it all sort of falls into place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicov View Post
Excellent stuff Michael. That Greenfield looks quite small in comparison to the Modified Dreadnoughts; is that just camera perspective?. Tell us about Jason Kostal, his work looks top drawer, how does it sound?
Cheers
Vic
I think I'm right in saying that Mike's G1 is slightly smaller than the Mod-d design. More about the erstwhile Mr Kostal in the next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde Park View Post
I sat in on several of your mini concerts while attending the montreal show. Needless to say, you are a very gifted and blessed individual. Keep up the good work man!
Thank you, this means a great deal to me, next time come and say hi, it's always nice to meet an AGF member!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-14-2010, 04:30 AM

Michael,

Great posts - great playing - great guitars.

Ian
Old 07-14-2010, 04:40 AM

greats pics. thank you. great one with charlie. great playing
Old 07-14-2010, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the awesome posts, Micheal! Your Sobell topic was a pleasant and this is just as wonderful. Thanks again for taking the time to post about these experiences. Great playing, too!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
George Lowden's solo built guitars were absolutely lovely and a reminder of the roots of the Lowden company.
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the report, some beautiful instruments on show. Do have any more details on the 2 Lowdens, which I believe were built by George specifically for Montreal? Also, did you get to play them?

Thanks,
Drew
Old 07-14-2010, 11:06 AM

Well, we've arrived at part four in which I would like to tell you a couple of little stories...

I'm walking through the main square with Ervin Somogyi on the way to the exhibition centre when we stop to watch a pair of acrobats on a trapeze.

A crowd had gathered and in order to get it out of everyone's way I put my hand on the Carlton case containing the "Andamento" guitar that was hanging from my shoulder. I was shocked to feel the guitar growling in sympathy to the tiny P.A system that was playing the accompanying music for the acrobats' show (very quietly!). The guitar was literally roaring in the case!!

Now THAT'S responsive!

The sheer amount of work in this masterpiece is also worthy of mention. Each one of the tiny squares in the pattern is a mosaic made up of at least 200 separate tiles. And remember, this is in MAPLE where you can't cover any mistakes/slips as easily as you can with rosewood for example if at all.

The first time I played a Somogyi guitar was an eye and ear opening experience for me and I'll never forget it. From the very first Modified dreadnought to the brand new Andamento they have had a power, beauty and response that stays with you.

The other guitar that left an impression on me is the modified dreadnought built by Jason Kostal

I had met Jason at last year's show (he is about to finish his apprenticeship with Ervin Somogyi) and he had mentioned that he was planning to have one of his guitars with him at this year's show. What I wasn't aware of at the time was Jason's background both as a player and as a builder, he is a very gifted musician who has studied with some of the greats of the steel-string world including Michael Hedges, Billy Mclaughlin and Leo Kottke, he studied luthiery at the prestigious Roberto-Venn school and then went on to teach there before honing his already considerable talent under the guidance of Ervin Somogyi. And it shows!

The guitar that Jason had brought with him was very new indeed but already sounded truly excellent, powerful, balanced, explosive... well, you decide here it is (watch out for a Somogyi cameo!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9L4SleW1fs

So it only remains for me to thank Jacques-Andre Dupont or Guitarjunky as we know him here on the AGF for his tireless enthusiasm and love for the guitar and his incredibly hard work as director of the Montreal Guitar Show. It was a great success. There is a lot I've had to leave out and other things that have sparked events since that I will post about in the future, for the time being thank you for reading and I hope to see you at next year's show!

Michael Watts
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Last edited by Michael Watts; 07-14-2010 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlowry View Post
Hi Michael,
Thanks for the report, some beautiful instruments on show. Do have any more details on the 2 Lowdens, which I believe were built by George specifically for Montreal? Also, did you get to play them?

Thanks,
Drew
Hi Drew,
I did indeed play the steel-string that George had with him. It was lovely, and it did sound /feel and look like a very classy Lowden guitar with a little something else in the mix too. George Lowden is a very important person in the history of the modern steel-string guitar and it was a pleasure to spend time with him.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

The Somogyi may be growing on me-
Old 07-15-2010, 09:16 AM

Great pics and thoughtful write-up. Thanks for for the great reading and viewing.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:17 AM

Great playing Michael, really enjoyed watching you and seeing those amazing guitars.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkham13 View Post
The Somogyi may be growing on me-
yup, they do that!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Old 07-15-2010, 12:14 PM

Mike, you jammy git

Lovely playing on the video clip!

How's the Junction, by the way? Send them all my regards
Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfina View Post
Great playing Michael, really enjoyed watching you and seeing those amazing guitars.
Thank you Elfina. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion