The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 06:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Santa Cruz dreads should get strong consideration. Many people don't realize they are dimensionally smaller than a comparable Martin or Collings dread.

My D/PW for example is 1/4" shallower at the heel and tail, while my 1934D is 3/8" shallower at the heel and tail and 1/2" smaller across in the upper bout vs the above two brands' dreads.

They are super forgiving to play, sound awesome with Light strings, great 'snap' in the highs, strong but not boomy bass, and an enhanced midrange with rich harmonics.
Seconded. If you can swing a SCGC Dread it's most definitely worth a look. They are smaller, lightly braced, and play well with light strings but still sound great. It all adds up to a guitar that is a joy to play.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 09-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

So are all the Santa Cruz dreads smaller than say a standard Martin dread?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Ever considered a Martin J-40? You should - covers all your bases.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Yup; Martin J-40. I have two Martin J body guitars, a J-40 and a custom shop J-17. They will have to ply them from my cold dead fingers!
Old 09-23-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC. View Post
You might also consider a Jumbo shape, like a Gibson J-185. They have tighter waists than dreads so sit lower on the leg when played seated.
Not only a jumbo, but also a Taylor xy8 Grand Orchestra. I have an 818, and it has a big bass sound if you want it, but also sounds great when played with a lighter touch. And the the shape reminds me of a jumbo with a wider waist or a dread with a bit of a waist. Great guitar. I fingerpick on it, but then I fingerpick all my instruments. I string the 818 with Elixir PB HD Lights, .013 - .053, and still have plenty of bass, but it doesn't dominate the trebles. And it's comfortable to play, especially seated.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 09-23-2020, 06:52 AM

I have a Taylor 510 (first Taylor I’ve ever liked, although I haven't played that many) that is a dread shape with a narrower body and a short scale neck. The sound is pretty incredible...much like a Martin D18, believe it or not. Smooth, rich with a nice tight rich bass.

It is very comfortable to play.

Rb
Old 09-23-2020, 09:02 AM

My suggestion will be quite far down the economic scale from most guitars mentioned above. However...

My ancient Yamaha FG180 (1969 Nippon Gakki) seems to fit the bill for the OP sizewise: slightly narrower upper bout, more pinched waist and shallower depth than a Martin-style dreadnought. So even in my creaky dotage, I find it easy to fit in my lap. Of course, you can't buy it...no way am I giving my old laminated pal up...but Yamaha has been reissuing FG replicas in solid wood over the past few years (I've seen several models, w/ and w/o electronics) and one of these might just be what you want. My own FG has aged beautifully, laminates notwithstanding, and has surprising volume, but the new replicas with solid woods given the ARE treatment seem pretty capable in the loudness department. Might check 'em out, anyway.

What I like tonewise about the FG is that the bass (esp. the low E) has both volume and real clarity. In contrast, I've always admired Gibson slope-shoulders but not the "thud/thump" of the low E on those models...YMMV.

Good luck finding what you want.

Dirk
Old 09-23-2020, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

The SCGC D-12 is definitely thinner than standard dreads. It was designed for Norman Blake years ago.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2020, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Santa Cruz dreads should get strong consideration. Many people don't realize they are dimensionally smaller than a comparable Martin or Collings dread.

My D/PW for example is 1/4" shallower at the heel and tail, while my 1934D is 3/8" shallower at the heel and tail and 1/2" smaller across in the upper bout vs the above two brands' dreads.

They are super forgiving to play, sound awesome with Light strings, great 'snap' in the highs, strong but not boomy bass, and an enhanced midrange with rich harmonics.
There is also the SCGC D-12 to consider.

Last edited by Dryfly; 09-23-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: duplication
Old 09-23-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Several of you mentioned the Grand Pacific, I have no idea why, but the body of my 317 did nothing but slide down my leg when I played it!

I've heard a few other people say that as well... just FYI if you consider getting one of these in terms of a more comfortable guitar. That being said, it was comfortable, but if I played in jeans that thing ended up down by my knee every time!
Old 09-23-2020, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
So are all the Santa Cruz dreads smaller than say a standard Martin dread?
Hi Jim, yes they are.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-23-2020, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
Ever considered a Martin J-40? You should - covers all your bases.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
This is a great suggestion. I love the J-40.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Loving my Taylor 317. It's dread-is. I'm not a big guy and it's quite comfortable.

Eastman AC630BD --The Hot Blonde
Taylor 317
Rickenbacker 620 Midnight Blue
Yamaha FG700 (lives in Miami for family visits)

"Son, don't wait till the break of day, 'cause you know how time fades away..."
Old 09-23-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
If you already like the Larrivee voicing perhaps an L body Larrivee? It sort of splits the difference between a dread and an OM (closer to a dread IMO) and still provides wider string spacing and almost all a true dread can deliver.
+1 on this. I have a couple L-series Larrivees and they are quite a bit more comfortable for me to play, while sacrificing virtually nothing, tone-wise, compared to a Dreadnought.

Lower bout of the 'L' is about the same as a Dread, at 16", and body depth is comparable, but has a narrower waist and rounded shoulders on the upper bout. I think the body might be slightly shorter as well, although haven't measured, so I couldn't swear to it.

I can tell very little difference in tone between my Dread and the L-series, but compared to the OM-40r I used to have, there was a very noticeable difference, which is why I finally sold it.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM

Default Larrivee SD-40

Just an awesome, beautiful, very affordable slope dread. Tone and playability, 12-fret, 25.5 scale, 1.75 nut.

Comes with a great case, too.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

+1, I was going to say the same, they are meaningfully smaller than other dreads.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion