The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-30-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschmitz54 View Post
The instructors that I’ve had have made my head spin when they talked about theory. It’s the why that I seem to ask and never got an answer other than just do it , it will make sense later.
My question is this theory book good for beginners?
After just getting started with it, I can already see the first volume digs in to chord composition pretty early on with basic concepts on how the scale intervals make up chords (Triads early in)

so for a "just starting out" kind of player, it may not be helpful.

For an intermediate player, that's got the basics of chords, melodies and some idea of structure down, I think it's probably a good resource.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-30-2022, 09:51 AM

So, if you search for Edley's its unavailable on Amazon, but available as Edly's
Old 11-30-2022, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Jim, I am definitely going to look into this!

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 11-30-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Comeaux View Post
Music theory is not a popular topic on this or any other board, but it can be a very effective learning tool. Reading most books on music theory is a chore, almost a punishment. They are brutally dry and boring. But relief is here! I discovered “Edley’s Music Theory for Practical People”. If, like most of us, you have gaps in your music theory arsenal, get a copy of this book. It is readily available from book stores or Amazon. It is VERY entertaining, humorous, informative and if you are willing to eat the whole enchilada, you will have a firm, broad knowledge of music, how it works and why. The book is divided into subjects that you can concentrate on. i.e. pentatonic scales, what a chord is, how minor scales/chords are formed. So if you just have a simple question you can go to the right section and there will be your answer.
Encountering Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" in the mid '70's was a huge eye-opener for me. It wasn't "dry" or "boring" because I was eager to learn. While I've found such knowledge eminently practical, none of the the other guitar players I've played with over the years have had any interest. You can lead a horse to water...
Old 11-30-2022, 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=bleedingfingers;7136669]It’s actually Edlys not Edleys - Amazon has listings for both but the Edleys one is unavailable

Thanks for the correction. yes, it’s “Edly’s”.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Music theory is boring until you need it. That's when I learn what I need to know: when I need it.

I did purchase “Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People” and it just puts me to sleep. That's not to say that it's not good. It's just that learning theory from a book, disassociated from working through a song or an instrumental piece does not work well for me. That's why I don't want to talk about it. For me, theory is an excuse not to play.

Besides, so far in “Edly’s Music Theory for Practical People” I haven't found anything that I didn't already know.

I am mostly a man of action. I want to play. I know plenty of theory, but it's all associated with making real things happen on the guitar or on the piano. I'm sure there is more I could learn, but I haven't gotten there yet.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-30-2022 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Just a heads up - for those choosing to buy used copies - there are 3 editions (am unfamiliar with this book & don't know if there is any significant differences between editions).
Old 11-30-2022, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Encountering Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" in the mid '70's was a huge eye-opener for me. It wasn't "dry" or "boring" because I was eager to learn. While I've found such knowledge eminently practical, none of the the other guitar players I've played with over the years have had any interest. You can lead a horse to water...
I have Ted Greene's "Chord Chemistry" from back in the 70s. I refer to it once in a while, but I got very limited use out of that book. Maybe because I'm not much of a jazz player, I don't know.

I'm an educated guy. I have studied and studied to get my degrees. For me, though, the guitar was a respite from all that. The last thing I wanted to do was turn the guitar into some kind of study. I wanted to make music, the sooner the better.

- Glenn

Last edited by Glennwillow; 11-30-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Sooner or later the inevitable happens: they discover that brass/woodwind/bowed-string/keyboard players don't "speak tab" - and likely in a chips-are-down situation...

I've worked with "guitar players" - some admittedly quite dexterous - as well as "musicians"...

I strongly prefer the latter...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 11-30-2022 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 03:46 PM

For those waiting on the book, here is a nice video series to start https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9VG...vPGZNlg84ZO26u
G&L S500
Old 11-30-2022, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

The poor guy at Amazon who picks the products off the shelf to be shipped out is probably wondering why all the sudden everybody is interested in music theory?
Old 11-30-2022, 04:12 PM

I'm skeptical . books people recommend to me and rave about ;I usually find kind of boring . I 'm on fence about ordering it.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:25 PM

Thanks! I just ordered a copy too. I think music theory is fascinating, albeit a little close to math for my comfort...

Scott
Old 11-30-2022, 04:38 PM

I have learned quite a bit of theory from this guy: https://www.youtube.com/@Guitargate

He does a lot of reaction videos and such, but he is a really good teacher who breaks theory down in a really interesting and usable way. I would recommend Michael to anyone looking to improve their playing and understanding.
Old 11-30-2022, 04:48 PM

"What nobody wants to talk about"

I don't want to talk about it.
Schecter SV Shredder

“Trust gets you killed, love gets you hurt, and being real gets you hated.” ~ Johnny Cash (1932-2003)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion