The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-29-2022, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Will too many guitars dilute the creative process?

I am curious if those on the forum are going through or have ever experienced the mindset to thin the herd to focus more on playing/composition?

Throughout the years, I have gone through many guitars because of GAS or what have you but as I get older, having guitars that just hang out un-played can drive me nuts. It's as if I feel bad for the case queens. Yet, in the past, it has not really bothered me. These days, I feel like it's cluttering my creative process but I am not sure.

I currently have 5 acoustics and currently there is a part of me that thinks, geez, if I just had 1-3, I could really focus in on playing/composition. Is this the opposite of GAS or part of GAS?

I am curious what others think and do you ever experience this phenomena.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default Will too many guitars dilute the creative process?

I went down the higher end acoustic guitar rabbit hole about 20 years ago and as a natural born procrastinator I can say that I have been known to use any excuse to detract from practicing and giving the creative process its due. But, my guitar habit has inspired me as well and my search for the guitars that are comfortable to play as well as sound wonderful have been well worth the time spent.
I currently have 5 guitars and probably play 3 of them more than the other 2. Now that I am retired I have more time to devote to music. What helps me the most, regardless of how many guitars I play, is having a regular practice schedule and belonging to a song circle that helps me be accountable by showing up with a new song or arrangement each week. I am more successful on some weeks than others but always moving forward. It is a balancing act of sorts at least for me anyway.
I am one of those folks that if a guitar isn’t being played much at all, I sell it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-29-2022, 05:37 PM

There's is a factor of having choices in equipment allows one to not seek new choices from other factors. That's real.

But that statement hides the corollary, the one that choices made with equipment can create new results -- or even drive new approaches.

You can take either path.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 11-29-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlooz View Post
I currently have 5 acoustics and currently there is a part of me that thinks, geez, if I just had 1-3, I could really focus in on playing/composition.
If you think it'll help you, then it can only help.

However, unless storage is a problem, I can't see how having extra guitars can decreasing playing/composing fun because you get more sounds.
Old 11-29-2022, 05:56 PM

I use my multiple guitars to try and enhance the creative process. Granted, I could do this with one or two fewer guitars! LOL!
I'm always quite taken with the fact that, for me, working on a different guitar actually unlocks stuff....different stuff when I'm composing something. I don't try and interpret how, or why....it just "is" and I think others experience the same thing. So, It's actually part of my routine to give several guitars a shot at a tune to see where it takes me....and that includes capo work on different frets in addition to working with a different guitar.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-29-2022, 06:06 PM

typically constraints or limitations fuel creativity. Whether too many guitars is a constraint or not is up to the individual.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-29-2022, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

i find having more guitars in my collection facilitates playing. i can keep guitars tuned in some obscure tunings and others in not so obscure tunings, making it easier to just grab one and play without fiddling around. also am able to keep and experiment with different string brands/materials/gauges and mixing them and comparing the sounds: dread to dread/classical to classical/etc etc etc. helps keep me interested. as with anything ill get distracted and go through phases where some cases get cobwebby and others are always next in queue.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 11-29-2022, 06:09 PM

Too many similar guitars ... maybe.

But a collection of varied guitars with vastly different characteristics like 12-strings, baritone, Nashville 'High Strung' tuning can actually stimulate the creative process.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-29-2022 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:11 PM

Personally, I find having different choices fuels my creativity.

Different tones for different moods.
Works for me.
Old 11-29-2022, 06:23 PM

Too many guitars?

Bite your tongue!
Old 11-29-2022, 06:45 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I like shiny things with strings on them. The more the merrier. All of my steel strings are case queens for the past few months as I mostly play my relatively inexpensive classicals.

I know they are there waiting.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-29-2022, 06:58 PM

Yes, imo. More guitars is more distraction for me. More guitars, more amps, more speakers, more pedals just fuel my tone obsessive disease. If I could only have one I’m sure I would spend more time on the notes rather than the differences between my instruments. That said, I’m not planning to change.
Old 11-29-2022, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
Yes, imo. More guitars is more distraction for me. More guitars, more amps, more speakers, more pedals just fuel my tone obsessive disease. If I could only have one I’m sure I would spend more time on the notes rather than the differences between my instruments. That said, I’m not planning to change.
What are these 'amps, speakers and pedals' you speak of Russ?

I can't find them on any of my acoustic guitars.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-29-2022, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I went down the path of many guitars - under the auspices of 'varied playing style', 'Alt Tunings', Back/sides wood, 'specialty' guitars. But in the end, I was just making it more difficult to find my 'sweet spot', trying to pick the right instrument for the right thing. Eventually, I began to analyze my intent, and now have (only) three - a D18 dread, a WY1TS fingerstyle/light picking, and my Alvarez AD70 for practice, open mics guests, outdoor stuff, travel, etc. I have found that these three pretty much cover everything I want to do.

Seems to have unlocked some creativity - or maybe just some brain cells - as I spend almost no time trying to figure out which axe to take with me, and more time drilling, practicing and rehearsing - simpler is better for me.

Of course, I wouldn't mind hooking into a nice 00 with some nickel strings -- ahem, never mind.

ymmv
Old 11-29-2022, 08:02 PM

I have two dreads, an OM, 000, Backpacker, parlor, L body (Larrivee) and LS Body (Larrivee) and three are 12 fret. Included are a 12 string and guitar strung up for Nashville Tuning.

Two Rosewood, four mahogany, 1 each (Walnut, Flamed Maple). I also have a High Pressure Laminate Little Martin, a Baritone Uke and a cherry 4 string dulcimer. Plenty of choices to keep me busy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion