The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-22-2022, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
... I'm the most comfortable or at least as comfortable as I get when playing and singing for my dog when no one else is around...
Chas - Many players here on AGF use the guitar to play solo instrumental pieces - and many other players use the guitar to accompany themselves singing. I'm assuming by picking "Maggie May" to have a go at that you fall into the latter camp?

So: I think that spending more time singing to your dog is probably the best bit of advice that I can give you. By that I mean, don't get to wrapped up in the guitar - it is just a means of self-accompaniment for your singing. The more you try to sing with guitar, the better your playing and general musicality will become. I have heard many players, young and old, at about your level of technical guitar playing proficiency, pull off great sounding and fun performances at open mic's simply because they had practiced delivering a song as a whole package.

You have the basics for Maggie May down on guitar. So now work on adding your voice. Simply by doing that you will naturally amend your present guitar arrangement and play around to find a way of playing the tune that fits you.

Regarding perfection: There is no such thing - as the years go by, you will find yourself continuously changing how you sing and play Maggie May, or indeed and other song you learn. Songs are always work in progress - if you wait until you have perfected a song then you will never sing it to anyone other than your dog (and I guess that your goal is to get a little beyond that? To perhaps being comfortable to sing a song circles or maybe local open mic's?).

I think that you have all the fundamental early building blocks in place with your guitar playing. You look really comfortable with the instrument. My only disappointment when I clicked on the video was that you didn't sing.

I'm just a campfire player but you have certainly inspired me to have a go at Maggie May - I think that it would go down a storm at parties and sessions.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 11-22-2022, 02:38 PM

I concur with those who counsel playing with others. An excellent way get your feet wet is to attend a beginners' jam camp. Another good way to play with others is to take lessons from a local instructor. Tell the instructor that you specifically want to get good at playing with others. After you've played with the instructor for a while, ask if they have any other students that would be interested in playing socially. My bet is that 99.9% of guitar instructors have multiple students who want to play socially. Don't wait passively; find a way to make it happen.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good to me for just playing for a year.

I think you can stop worrying about your progress. You will keep progressing as long as you keep challenging yourself. You might want to consider lessons to help you get to the next level - flat picking melody leads/runs in between chords. Strumming gets kinda old just playing by yourself unless you're a singer too.

When/if you start taking lessons your teacher might be able to get a bunch of students together for song circles, etc. Look into it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:01 AM

Anyone who wants to play music well needs to be sure that they are aware of where the first beat of the bar is and where the regular and repeated stress(es) are placed which give rhythmic movement to the music they are wanting to play.
Practice is not going to achieve this because it is not an issue of skill needing to be learned but rather of awareness and just paying attention to what you are listening to.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I agree that playing with others would help. I believe even being around others that play and getting to talk to them would help, that's why I love and try to support this forum. The people on here have helped me a lot. From my choices when purchasing guitars, to amps and recording, playing and the motivation to keep at it.

Unfortunately I live in a relatively small town in middle America, don't have but a few friends, none of whom play a musical instrument and I'm retired and don't get out. I'm pretty much a loner and I'm only pursuing the guitar because I love music, I've always wanted to learn to play and now that I'm retired I have the time.

So, I'm on my own, accept for you guys. I will keep at it and try to relax. Maybe if I pretend I know what I'm doing that will help.

Thank you, to everyone that posted. You guys were kind, helpful and dead on with your advice. Except for the drinking and drug part. Lol Thanks for that advice also, but I already did that in my younger years and I couldn't play then either. Lol ��

Just hang in there, and try to keep it really simple and put the focus on fun and the love of playing.

Try to put the other emotions aside.

It's not a certification exam! It's just "playing" a wrong chord or missed note harms no one.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-24-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
Anyone who wants to play music well needs to be sure that they are aware of where the first beat of the bar is and where the regular and repeated stress(es) are placed which give rhythmic movement to the music they are wanting to play.
Practice is not going to achieve this because it is not an issue of skill needing to be learned but rather of awareness and just paying attention to what you are listening to.
I understand what you're saying. And I understand that my playing sounds like the automated voice of your GPS, maybe not even that good. I'm not good at the finesse of strumming and varying the stresses and volume. My playing has little to no life to it. I hope that comes as I get comfortable enough that I can call the song mine, if you know what I mean. I think I also need to use a pick more to get better with it.

I don't understand about the first beat of the bar, if it doesn't come on the first count of the bar.

Last edited by Chas007; 11-24-2022 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:11 AM

Chas. I am at the same level you are at. I have no affiliation with ArtistWorks but you may want to check out David’s adult beginner guitar lessons. The program allows you to upload videos and David will respond with an in-depth video response. All videos and of others are also viewable so you learn a lot by watching.
Old 02-18-2023, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post
I understand what you're saying. And I understand that my playing sounds like the automated voice of your GPS, maybe not even that good. I'm not good at the finesse of strumming and varying the stresses and volume. My playing has little to no life to it. I hope that comes as I get comfortable enough that I can call the song mine, if you know what I mean. I think I also need to use a pick more to get better with it.

I don't understand about the first beat of the bar, if it doesn't come on the first count of the bar.
Maybe you have worked it out for yourself by now but if not the stresses in each bar come on beats 2 & 4. That's what makes it move the way it does.

Watch the video I posted , note which beats Rod is clapping his hands to and latter what the drummer is doing on that beat.
It's 1234 1234 1&2&3&4& etc
You were not doing that in your playing.
Old 02-18-2023, 10:20 AM

The video doesn't seem to be up anymore.

Anyway, I like to suggest a change to you post subject re: constructive criticism. Criticism has a negative feeling. I like the use of "feedback". When we are learning, feedback is critical for our success as hopefully would use it to become better.

I always about the feedback I get from my instructors. I joke with them that I dislike it, but I also love it. I know the feedback will make me a better player.

A good short read for a beginning player is the "Laws of Banjo". One of the chapters is regarding the necessity of feedback. I feel like how the books nails how a beginning guitarist can set themselves for success.

Sorry I missed your video.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write