The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-19-2022, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Default The Lazy Man's Acoustic Treatment? & Easy? Cheap?

Last year I was given a roll of acoustic treatment material made of Cotton called Ultra Touch Denim. It has pretty much the same rating as 703, but does not have the rigidity. I have been procrastinating (as usual). Trying to decide if I was going to build a wooden structure to support it.

In the meantime I also bought from a pro company easily movable 703 4 panel screen. Each panel 2 feet by 4 feet.

A while ago someone posted a nice video on making an acoustic panel and using Burlap for the outer material. Hmmm I though...this is so much cheaper than using Acoustic fabric. But being super lazy these days, I wanted something super easy to make. A no frame acoustic panel. Which...we have seen videos for them..but they are for the more rigid 703.

The Funny part...I have been using Burlap bags as a target for my arrows for 25 years. I just stuff them super tight with plastic bags....and it will stop an arrow shot from a hundred pound bow. But the largest Burlap bag I have seen, was only 24 by 40 inches. And you can bet than when you fill it...it will no longer be 24 inches wide. I have made larger bags...but that takes more time as you have to do the sewing yourself.

Finally I found some larger Burlap Bags measuring 30 by 40 inches. This would be perfect for my 24 inch wide material stacking it to 4 inches thick. I had enough for three bags. Two with three -one inch layers of denim, and one -One inch thick foam. The Foam gave the bag some stiffness. Two 1 inch denim cotton on one side of the foam..and one 1 inch denim cotton behind the foam panel. The Third bag I just used 4 layers of cotton denim. This one will work out great for vocal overdubs...as I can curve it a bit.

So if you are a bit lazy like I sometimes are...you can quickly fill these backs for reasonable acoustic treatment. Lightweight and quick to move. Finished size is 24 by 36 inches. If you used 703, it would be even faster and easier to set up. Simple drop in. The Cotton denim required a bit of extra work because of its less regidity. I glued pieces together using a Locktite construction grade adhesive.

I use Wide Cardiods...The extra Side burlap panels should be of some help.

I ran the burlap bags through the drier first...Lots and lots of burlap fibers came off. Then I steamed out all of the folded lines in the Burlap.

Honestly, I think you are much better off building a Framework than taking the route I did. Plus these bags look sloppy. Certainly don't add beauty to the surroundings. But hey, I am not complaining....I got three panels for just under $50 additional investment. Of course, if I had to buy the material myself you could add a lot more to the equation.

Regardless...there are a few advantages..I now have lightweight, easily movable acoustic panels that will come in handy for numerous recording configurations.

Last edited by AcousticDreams; 11-19-2022 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Lazy? That looks like a lot of work to me.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-19-2022, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

You can buy rolls of burlap fabric. I wasn’t able to copy the link, but this is in Amazon:

40" Wide x 24 feet Long Burlap Roll Premium Jute Liner | 40 inch x 8 Yards | Heavy Duty (7oz) Craft Fabric | Weed Barrier | Frost Guard for Gardening | Natural Jute-Burlap Wide Ribbon 24 feet Long
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 11-19-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Lazy? That looks like a lot of work to me.
You would think it would be simple right? Just stuff material in the bag. But by the time you steam and clean.....glue and fit....still takes longer than I would have liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
You can buy rolls of burlap fabric. I wasn’t able to copy the link, but this is in Amazon:

40" Wide x 24 feet Long Burlap Roll Premium Jute Liner | 40 inch x 8 Yards | Heavy Duty (7oz) Craft Fabric | Weed Barrier | Frost Guard for Gardening | Natural Jute-Burlap Wide Ribbon 24 feet Long
If you have a sewing machine...that works out great. I don't. I bought a roll of Burlap from a Fabric store years ago to make my archery target bags. But hand sewing? Even one continuous seem all the way around...ha ha..to long. That is why I was happy to find these extra large burlap bags.

The one benefit...might come from my Third, unsupported bag. I think that will work good for a vocal booth. I can curve it.
Old 11-21-2022, 10:51 AM

You have all the treatment behind the mics. You might also try it with that stuff behind you.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD