The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-08-2022, 07:34 PM

All I know is that for the past 30+ years, the phantom power at any of the consoles at Power Station have been always on. A former, well known, engineer who worked there assured me there was no danger in hot swapping mics. I have seen the same at Electric Lady, RCA, and Hit Factory. I find it hard to believe they’d risk their mic collection if there were really a danger.

As always, use your best judgement, but remember that Internet consensus is usually far from real world practice.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 11-09-2022, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Got a email from Ben at Beesneez regarding the correct Tube Microphone connecting procedures.

My Question:Should I turn off the power supply each time when unplugging out of one preamp, and plugging into another?
His reply:
You can leave the BU67 Turned on, Just ensure the preamp Output is muted, as the connecting will make your speaker pop.

My Question: Making internal switching changes on the BU67:
His reply:
Turn your mic off, Unplug the mic cable & make adjustments. Plug mic cable back in and then turn on PSU(Power Supply Unit).
(I wonder why you need to unplug the mic cable even though the PSU is turned off? Some possible charge could still go through the cable from the PSU? As in the next statement he made about waiting periods? )

My Question= Do I need to wait a time period before turning On and off the PSU?
His Reply:
Usually wait 15 seconds as this allow the capacitor sufficient time to discharge, making the mic safe internally. Although the voltages present are very low amperage, it is still goo practice to switch off the PSU first.
Old 11-09-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
That's how I've operated since a friend explained that to me many years ago and it's why I paid Redco $225 to make that XLR patch bay for me. I only run the inputs through the XLR patchbay because if I'm switching mics, that's where it would happen. I have the preamp outputs running into the TRS patchbay so I can send the mic signal to a compressor, eq, interface, etc. before it goes to the daw. I'm fine with that being TRS and I will typically unplug the mic from the XLR patchbay if I do any hot-swapping of the gear I just mentioned, as well as turning off whatever pieces of outboard hardware I'm about to disconnect from and connect to. Thankfully, I haven't "ker-pow"-ed my monitors in many years.
The newest podcast from Doug Fearn has a bunch of information about ribbon mics and he talks a bunch about his XLR patch bay, relating exactly the reasons why the XLR patch bay saves expensive ribbons.

Doug Fearn ribbon mics podcast
Old 11-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
The newest podcast from Doug Fearn has a bunch of information about ribbon mics and he talks a bunch about his XLR patch bay, relating exactly the reasons why the XLR patch bay saves expensive ribbons.

Doug Fearn ribbon mics podcast
Thanks. He confirmed much of what I've been told over the years.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 11-10-2022, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if it is necessary or not but I usually at least turn phantom power off before connecting or disconnection of cables which really easy now that it can be done right in Protools, with the Carbon pre amp feature .

The PSU on my tub mic has a toggle on/off which I also flip off before connecting or disconnecting the mic cable
But it is just my habit as opposed to knowing one way or the other so no dog for me

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-11-2022, 05:02 PM

In addition to other posts: My main preamp has VU meters, so I try my best to avoid making connections with the unit powered on, simply to avoid damaging/breaking the needle on the meter. I have read about this happening.

Rick
Old 11-12-2022, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
You can't kill an SM57.

HAHA! Yes!

The other night, doing sound at the bar, I actually found an SM58 in a tumbler of what appeared to be bourbon/whiskey. I needed it, so I pulled out, shook it out a bit, futilely blew into it, and plugged it in. All good, albeit a little smelly for the vocalist maybe.

Only cause I don't think it's been mentioned yet, turning off phantom before hot plugging ribbon mics is a good habit to get into. I don't think phantom actually harms ribbons inherently (I've hot pugged ribbons into phantom power accidentally without problems), but if the cable has any shorts/problems, I think you can fry the ribbon. :-(

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD