The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Herman Miller Aeron Chair

For any work where you'll be sitting a long time, a good chair can be an invaluable investment in the health of your back. Over the years I'd gone through a lot of the $100 variety you find in places like OfficeMax. They all felt fine in the beginning but they never really held up for very long and within a year or two I'd have to replace them.

I'd read a lot of reviews on the Herman Miller Aeron Chair but at a base price of over $600 (at the time) and a final price of around $1k by the time I added the features I'd want, it always seemed a ridiculous amount to spend on an office chair. But I'd also seen people throw around phrases like "best investment I ever made in my studio" and about five years ago I decided to unclench my sphincter and go for it ...five years later, it's still as comfortable and supportive as the first day I got it.

"Best" investment in my studio ...that might be hyperbole but I have not regretted spending the money at all. This chair not only still feels great, but it still looks great as well. It only occurred to me to write about it because I finally decided to address something that happened a couple of years back...

My audio guru friend was over helping me with some technical issues for a few hours. He was sitting in the Aeron chair and after he left I noticed a small puncture in the left armpad. I don't know how it happened but it was there and over the course of a couple of years, it has gotten worse.

This week, I decided to order replacement arm pads. They arrived yesterday but they didn't fit. I called the company from which I ordered them but they had no solution. Today I called the Herman Miller Company directly and I can't say enough about the quality of the customer service. Within a few minutes they were able to tell me what dealer I ordered my chair from and, more importantly, why the replacements didn't fit (turns out there is an older version and a remastered version; I have the latter). HM Co. also told me that my arm pads might be covered under warranty and that I should file a claim with the dealer. I did that and am awaiting word but even if not covered, the new pads are only $45 and I'm relieved to have found out I can get them somewhere because none of the sites I found online had the version I need.

If you're looking for a great chair that offers quality customizable support and comfort, great styling, and will still look great years from now, the Herman Miller Aeron Chair might be worth the investment for you.

UPDATE: Herman Miller Co. is covering the armpads under warranty and the new ones are on their way to me. I was prepared for them to decline the coverage since I can't really say anything was their fault in this. Other companies could learn from this kind of response. It's how you get repeat business.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 03-15-2022 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:47 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Good story and reference! All the chairs in the studio where I work are Hermann Miller chairs. There are seven top-of-the-line chairs from 1999 and one Aeron. Believe it or not, the 1999 chairs are still doing fine. Like you, every once in a while we'll get a split in an arm pad and have to order a new one.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

The chair in my office is an Aeron. I’d sat in a few before I bought it, knew I liked them, got sticker shock when I started shopping for new ones, and bought mine at a used office furniture place for about $200-250 IIRC. This was in about 2008 or 2009, after the financial crisis had driven a lot of businesses under and there was a LOT of used office furniture around, driving prices down. I don’t know how used it was at the time, but it’s still going very strong now 13-ish years later. I don’t know when or if I’ll ever need to replace it, but if I ever do, I’d buy another in a New York minute. No idea what a used one would run you today, but it would have to be way less than the new ones…

-Ray
Old 02-12-2022, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Are the armrests removable?
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 02-12-2022, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Are the armrests removable?
Yes, depending on which arm rests you ordered, it's either one screw or two screws. In my case, it's one. It came off very easily. But I'm talking about the pads not the entire arm. The entire arm might be removable but that would be an involved process where you'd have to remove the back and reattach it. I'm not sure if it would work. The arms on mine are fully adjustable and it's easy to get them out of the way. I can play guitar in the chair and the arm rests cause no issue at all.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 02-12-2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Can't Say Enough About Herman Miller Aeron Chairs

Aloha Friends! Nice Off-Beat Topic Jim!

I sat in my first Herman Miller Aeron chair in the early 2000's at a friend's studio & got instantly hooked on these amazingly well-designed & unbelievably comfortable work chairs. I trolled the want ads out here trying to save some money for my studio but Hawaii apparently doesn't have many & none ever came up.

At my former business (retired) one day, several of our people were complaining about their typical Office Max type chairs Jim describes - that they were ruining our backs. And me being a very tall, large guy, I always quickly broke the lower support bars (even steel) for the caster ball feet on those cheaper chairs. And most of the so-called executive chairs I owned or tried just weren't very comfortable.

So finally I just went for it. I bought 12 new Herman Miller Aerons for everyone at work, with all of the options each person wanted, & no one ever complained about their back pain again. In fact, some claimed that the Aeron helped "fix" their backs & everyone agreed it definitely improved everyone's postures!

Yes Jim, we also had to reorder armpads from Herman Miller several times. Everytime was no hassle & quick turnaround time for receiving the new ones. Great company service!

To me, the lightweight Aeron is like sitting on a cloud, plus it provides all the lumbar & arm support (btw, the arms are easily removeable if desired - like for playing guitar) & mobility options any active person could ever need at home or work. And there are also many options available to add on for even more individualized comfort. The Aeron is by far the best designed & durable office chair I've ever "auditioned."

If you sit for long stretches at a time for any reason, you should go out & get yourself an Aeron chair. If you think of it as a quality tool, then the cost won't be much of a problem mentally. Or just save up for one. In every case - Just get one! They are addictive & the BEST!

+1 on the Herman Miller Aeron. BEST office, studio or work chair in the world! And that's from a guy who's size prevents him from finding many chairs to fit into & so has had to audition many oversized, quality chairs over the years. I've also had several lumbar back operations too & this chair really relives the pressure.

It doesn't surprise me that the Herman Miller Aeron is the chair of choice & standard gear at the best studio's for the best engineers like you, Mr. Bob Womack!

alohachris

PS: I would add that I don't think it's a great idea to track sitting on office chairs w/ casters. Noise potential. I designed & made a nice, regular four-legged & padded Hawaiian acacia Koa chair for myself forty years ago that works just fine for sitting & playing, tracking or Kanekapila pau hana. -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 02-16-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Friends! Nice Off-Beat Topic Jim!

I sat in my first Herman Miller Aeron chair in the early 2000's at a friend's studio & got instantly hooked on these amazingly well-designed & unbelievably comfortable work chairs. I trolled the want ads out here trying to save some money for my studio but Hawaii apparently doesn't have many & none ever came up.

At my former business (retired) one day, several of our people were complaining about their typical Office Max type chairs Jim describes - that they were ruining our backs. And me being a very tall, large guy, I always quickly broke the lower support bars (even steel) for the caster ball feet on those cheaper chairs. And most of the so-called executive chairs I owned or tried just weren't very comfortable.

So finally I just went for it. I bought 12 new Herman Miller Aerons for everyone at work, with all of the options each person wanted, & no one ever complained about their back pain again. In fact, some claimed that the Aeron helped "fix" their backs & everyone agreed it definitely improved everyone's postures!

Yes Jim, we also had to reorder armpads from Herman Miller several times. Everytime was no hassle & quick turnaround time for receiving the new ones. Great company service!

To me, the lightweight Aeron is like sitting on a cloud, plus it provides all the lumbar & arm support (btw, the arms are easily removeable if desired - like for playing guitar) & mobility options any active person could ever need at home or work. And there are also many options available to add on for even more individualized comfort. The Aeron is by far the best designed & durable office chair I've ever "auditioned."

If you sit for long stretches at a time for any reason, you should go out & get yourself an Aeron chair. If you think of it as a quality tool, then the cost won't be much of a problem mentally. Or just save up for one. In every case - Just get one! They are addictive & the BEST!

+1 on the Herman Miller Aeron. BEST office, studio or work chair in the world! And that's from a guy who's size prevents him from finding many chairs to fit into & so has had to audition many oversized, quality chairs over the years. I've also had several lumbar back operations too & this chair really relives the pressure.

It doesn't surprise me that the Herman Miller Aeron is the chair of choice & standard gear at the best studio's for the best engineers like you, Mr. Bob Womack!

alohachris

PS: I would add that I don't think it's a great idea to track sitting on office chairs w/ casters. Noise potential. I designed & made a nice, regular four-legged & padded Hawaiian acacia Koa chair for myself forty years ago that works just fine for sitting & playing, tracking or Kanekapila pau hana. -alohachris-
We all love to see custom guitar chairs! Please post a photo if you can.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Smile Aeron

I've had my Herman Miller Aeron chair for over 15 years and it still looks brand new. Even though I sit in it almost every day, it's still as comfortable as the day I bought it.

I also play guitar in this chair and the arm rests don't interfere. I do sit forward in the chair and have my right leg on a small foot rest.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 02-18-2022, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Wow! I had no idea so many folks here were Aeron users. I fully expect this chair to last 20 years without having to spend very much to keep it in good working order. And if it does that, it will have cost me no more money than the string of OfficeMax type chairs I'd have gone through in the same time.

I put in the warranty claim for my armpad a few days back and yesterday they asked for a photograph of the product ID label on the bottom of the chair seat. I sent that along. I won't be surprised or disappointed if they don't cover it. The hole wasn't their fault. But I'll give them the chance to go above and beyond. I'll post the outcome when I hear back from them.

YouTube
Old 02-19-2022, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

The Aeron is a fine chair and the Embody chair from Herman Miller is a step up from the Aeron. I wore out my Aeron chair (they do wear out after a while) and then decided to try the Embody. Never looked back. The Embody chair is a brilliant design. Highly recommended

https://www.hermanmiller.com/product...embody-chairs/

Last edited by Al Acuff; 02-20-2022 at 10:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2022, 06:05 PM

I'm still using my Aeron chair I bought 20 years ago. No appreciable wear and I use it every day I am home.

It may outlast me.

Best Furniture Investment Ever.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 02-25-2022, 02:07 PM
Eric Skye

I needed a new chair but could quite swing the price of a new Aaron right now. I read this review in my new copy of Sound On Sound https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...-studio-chairs and ordered one from Vintage King last week. Still waiting on delivery. I'll report back on it when I get it.
Old 03-14-2022, 01:08 PM
Charter Member

UPDATE: Herman Miller Co. is covering the armpads under warranty and the new ones are on their way to me. I was prepared for them to decline the coverage since I can't really say anything was their fault in this. Other companies could learn from this kind of response. It's how you get repeat business.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2022, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

If anyone is considering an Aeron chair, Office Designs is having a 15% off sale on them. That's the store where I bought mine and who handled my arm pad warranty claim. I highly recommend the store and the chair.

YouTube
Old 04-01-2022, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I needed a new chair but could quite swing the price of a new Aaron right now. I read this review in my new copy of Sound On Sound https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...-studio-chairs and ordered one from Vintage King last week. Still waiting on delivery. I'll report back on it when I get it.
I got one of these myself, it’s been working really well. As you may imagine, I did not install the armrests to keep it as guitar friendly as possible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD