The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-23-2022, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
Hey Jim: I was just about to post a new thread asking for ideas&info that might help me migrate from an old “physical” workstation (Boss BR-1600CD 16-track recorder) to a virtual DAW such as Logic Pro. In 2002 a younger version of me glanced at the Boss manual for maybe 15 minutes and began “recording” almost immediately, getting results I was quite satisfied with. I’d done analog recording in the 70/80’s so knew recording basics. In the last 6-8 years I’ve made a few unsuccessful attempts to switch to Logic Pro but eventually get frustrated with really slow progress and just go back to the BR-1600. I’m looking forward to seeing if this thread and its links may help -and motivate- me to get over this hump once and for all...something I really want to do. Thank you for putting it together and keeping it updated!
gmel-- Hey I would suggest you do in fact start a thread to ask your questions and explain in detail exactly what specific problems you ran into trying to use Logic

AND just so you know,,, all of us,,,, from amateur technical dummies, to seasoned professional recording engineers have had to go through a fairly steep learning curve,, either switching from analog based to digital based,,, OR just starting out entirely in digital.. it is a process

Either way involves learning the nomenclature of digital in general. Some of it translated from analog and some of it is new
Then also as far as DAW's agin, some terminology is more or less universal and some is DAW specific

But just know that if you take the time to do it there is light at the end of the tunnel AND at the end of that tunnel is a whole new world of creative possibility .

I don't have any specific "watch this" suggestion but for example for Logic there are tons of YouTube video's from the general to more specific . Also Apple stores used to conduct Logic learning courses ??

Also know that the basic concept of digital recording is actually the same as recording to analog tape

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-23-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
gmel-- Hey I would suggest you do in fact start a thread to ask your questions and explain in detail exactly what specific problems you ran into trying to use Logic
Yes, do what Kev said.

Quote:
AND just so you know,,, all of us,,,, from amateur technical dummies, to seasoned professional recording engineers have had to go through a fairly steep learning curve
Very steep, but not insurmountable if one puts the time in ...and that's the key. Learning the ins and outs of digital recording is not unlike learning an instrument: the more time you put in, the better you become.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2022, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

BTW Jim spk monitors I have Amphion One 18's with an Amphion 100 amp

Amphion no longer makes the 100 amp
The One 18's are $3000 a pair

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-23-2022, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
BTW Jim spk monitors I have Amphion One 18's...
Added. Thanks.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2022, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hey Jim: I was just about to post a new thread asking for ideas&info that might help me migrate from an old “physical” workstation (Boss BR-1600CD 16-track recorder) to a virtual DAW such as Logic Pro. In 2002 a younger version of me glanced at the Boss manual for maybe 15 minutes and began “recording” almost immediately, getting results I was quite satisfied with. I’d done analog recording in the 70/80’s so knew recording basics. In the last 6-8 years I’ve made a few unsuccessful attempts to switch to Logic Pro but eventually get frustrated with really slow progress and just go back to the BR-1600. I’m looking forward to seeing if this thread and its links may help -and motivate- me to get over this hump once and for all...something I really want to do. Thank you for putting it together and keeping it updated!
Quote:

AND just so you know,,, all of us,,,, from amateur technical dummies, to seasoned professional recording engineers have had to go through a fairly steep learning curve,, either switching from analog based to digital based,,, OR just starting out entirely in digital.. it is a process

Either way involves learning the nomenclature of digital in general. Some of it translated from analog and some of it is new
Then also as far as DAW's agin, some terminology is more or less universal and some is DAW specific

But just know that if you take the time to do it there is light at the end of the tunnel AND at the end of that tunnel is a whole new world of creative possibility .

I don't have any specific "watch this" suggestion but for example for Logic there are tons of YouTube video's from the general to more specific . Also Apple stores used to conduct Logic learning courses ??

Also know that the basic concept of digital recording is actually the same as recording to analog tape
Hey gmel555, I want to encourage you to take up KevWind's suggestion to Ask your questions. AGF recording is a most friendly, considerate and informative group of people. (Unlike any other forum)

I consider AFG recording a true brotherhood. They offer help, with caring & encouragement. We are so fortunate to have a wide variety of people with years of experience behind them. So many helping brothers.

Unfortunately, I am exactly like you. I found it so easy to record in the analog world....after all it was as simple as = the outs to to the ins...and the ins go to the outs.

In the Computer world there are seemingly hundreds of new aspects that are hard for us analog guys to understand. Hundreds of hidden or hard to see buttons on Logic Pro with a multitude of functions. My mind gets stuck in the analog thinking process and sometimes I mis understand the most basic of principles. Yet no one ever laughs of belittles me for my sometimes simplistic questions. I am always received with encouragement and respect.

While it will take some time to understand the realm of the Computer world, there are great rewards to be had. Rewards that were not in the realm of the analog world. Just one example is reverb. In the old days of the 60's and 70's there was seemingly only real plate reverbs if you wanted good reverb that is. Now you can have amazing reverb plugs in's $50 to $200 dollars.

Further I would like to suggest that we have a zoom meeting once a month(maybe even at two weeks apart to start). Each of us could present our list of questions and have them answered directly. Hands on, one on one replies often get to the root of the problem quickly.
Then we could have a Thread after our meetings and list all the things we learned.

On a final note, I am now beginning to look at my very slow learning curve with the DAW a bit differently. It has taken me years to develop my guitar playing style...I have excelled to a new plateau that I never dreamed possible. So I might expect the same of the recording world. The difference is it will not take years to improve...with the help of the forum it will take weeks, or a few months. I am so glad I continued the learning experience and did not just stop at being good in one area. Hopefully I am getting close to understanding what I need to do in the DAW. The rewards are so far beyond what was possible for the home recordist, as compared to yesteryear.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
gmel-- Hey I would suggest you do in fact start a thread to ask your questions and explain in detail exactly what specific problems you ran into trying to use Logic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
....if one puts the time in ...and that's the key. Learning the ins and outs of digital recording is not unlike learning an instrument: the more time you put in, the better you become....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
.....AGF recording is a most friendly, considerate and informative group of people. (Unlike any other forum) ....I consider AFG recording a true brotherhood....I am always received with encouragement and respect....
Wanted to thank all three of you for your thoughtful responses. It gives me some hope and motivation. On the positive side, I'm not totally at square one, as my baby steps with the Boss and some work I did do with Logic give me an idea of the "landscape" and road ahead. For example, on the Boss I've produce "projects/songs" of 8, 10, 12 tracks, and have bounced tracks, cut and spliced, over dubbing, final mixing, etc. On Logic I got as far as short "test" projects with a couple tracks, including experimenting with plug-ins. However, it would take me so long, that I'd revert back to the Boss just to get the song done. I know you folks "get" all of this. I've started some prep today. First step actually was cleaning up/re-organizing my music room as it's gotten so cluttered it was cluttering my mind as well. My next step will be setting up a basic signal chain. I believe I have all the basic equipment necessary to begin, but I will start a new thread -as suggested- for that discussion re theoptions I have and what I might still need to get re-boot my attempt.

One thing I wanted to ask here...My goal is to continue producing my own original music (and ocassional covers)...I play (vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass), again sometimes requiring 10+ tracks (in Boss-World). I'm the Chef, cook, and bottle washer. I have both Logic Pro and Garage Band. Would it make more sense to start with Garage Band as a simpler, less overwhelming platform? Thanks again for input & encouragements!
Old 10-23-2022, 10:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have both Logic Pro and Garage Band. Would it make more sense to start with Garage Band as a simpler, less overwhelming platform? Thanks again for input & encouragements!
Logic Pro is a common step up from Garage Band. Since you already have it, I'd suggest that you should start on that rather than Garage Band since you already own it. I don't think it will be significantly easier on one or the other, so you may as well learn the more advanced program even if you don't intend to use the more advanced features any time soon. That way you won't have to relearn on LP tasks you already learned on GB.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2022, 10:59 PM
Charter Member

I'd also suggest sticking with Logic if you have it already. GarageBand is "Logic Lite", but in many ways is more confusing, since they make it "easier" by hiding things from you that you'll likely need, which is frustrating and confusing in its own way.

Tho there's a learning curve with any software program, doing audio recording in Logic shouldn't be *that* much different from your hardware device as far as the basic tasks. It's a matter of learning where the buttons and menu items you need are. I'd start a "learning logic" thread and take it step at a time, and we can help you over any hurdles.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:14 PM

For monitors I have Event 20/20 bas V3.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 10-24-2022, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
To all you thieves out there the list entries that are associated with my name actually reflect the mics owned by the studio where I work. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a large mic closet.

Bob
I appreciate the street cred of your assumption that among us are thieves!
Old 10-24-2022, 06:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
On Logic I got as far as short "test" projects with a couple tracks, including experimenting with plug-ins. However, it would take me so long, that I'd revert back to the Boss just to get the song done.
The solution to this is issue "user defined project/session templates "
What you do is figure out what your usual project/session is going to be =
number of track (guitars ,keyboards, bass, vocals, etc) types of tracks, busses, sends etc. the usual plugins etc. (basically everything you would have in finished project/session. You set that up one time so you have it already all set up in the template. Then all you have to do is start your computer, launch Logic, and open up the template, and you are ready to record arm the tracks and record (literally is seconds )

note some DAWs call the actual song you are working on a "session" some call it a "project" some call it a "song"

Quote:
One thing I wanted to ask here...My goal is to continue producing my own original music (and ocassional covers)...I play (vocals, guitars, keyboards, bass), again sometimes requiring 10+ tracks (in Boss-World). I'm the Chef, cook, and bottle washer. I have both Logic Pro and Garage Band. Would it make more sense to start with Garage Band as a simpler, less overwhelming platform? Thanks again for input & encouragements!
like the rest I would say just start with Logic it is way more capable and actually no less complex to get started than GB

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-24-2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The solution to this is issue "user defined project/session templates "
What you do is figure out what your usual project/session is going to be =
number of track (guitars ,keyboards, bass, vocals, etc) types of tracks, busses, sends etc. the usual plugins etc. (basically everything you would have in finished project/session. You set that up one time so you have it already all set up in the template. Then all you have to do is start your computer, launch Logic, and open up the template, and you are ready to record arm the tracks and record (literally is seconds )

note some DAWs call the actual song you are working on a "session" some call it a "project" some call it a "song"...

like the rest I would say just start with Logic it is way more capable and actually no less complex to get started than GB
Kev thanks for the factoid above, it’s just the kind of tip that will help me along. I was not aware of, or did not fully understand its utility during my first attempts. It’s now the first “clipped and pasted” HINT into a summary collection of hints I’ve begun. It’ll be useful for me to collate ones that get to my particular questions/needs.
Re starting w Logic.....to all above who said go to Logic not GarageB... I got the same answer outside of AGF from a couple of folks. It was unanimous...LP X it is.

Last edited by gmel555; 10-25-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-24-2022, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I appreciate the street cred of your assumption that among us are thieves!
I may have hinted at a 3am visit to Bob's workplace in a post I deleted because I needed the space to expand the list.

On a totally unrelated matter, does anyone know the street address for Bob's workplace?

YouTube
Old 12-11-2022, 01:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Jim, I recall when you reached out to me as a mod when you were contemplating compiling this gear master list, to ask if the thread could be made a sticky, which was agreed to. I’m really glad as it’s such a valuable resource. Thanks for all your time and effort in its preparation and updates.

I’m a home recording novice and really haven’t delved into it since the early 2000s and never got very good at it. I intend to get back to it soon once I get through some home renovations. This, thread and the entire Record sub forum will be a real help to me.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Jim, I recall when you reached out to me as a mod when you were contemplating compiling this gear master list, to ask if the thread could be made a sticky, which was agreed to. I’m really glad as it’s such a valuable resource. Thanks for all your time and effort in its preparation and updates.

I’m a home recording novice and really haven’t delved into it since the early 2000s and never got very good at it. I intend to get back to it soon once I get through some home renovations. This, thread and the entire Record sub forum will be a real help to me.
I'm equally glad that it was approved and that it evolved into something larger and better than originally intended. A lot of good ideas were passed along by the regulars in this subforum and I ran with a lot of them, so this became a group project of sorts.

It's become a nice one-stop-shop for a wealth of helpful information and guidance. Judging by the number of views it's received in the two years it's existed, it's pretty evident people are using it and that was my hope and intent from the beginning. That's what makes the occasional work I have to do for it all the more worthwhile.

So thanks to you for helping get the sticky status approved and thanks to all the people who contributed their lists and their ideas. This only became a great resource because of the group effort.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD