The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-17-2022, 01:36 PM

Default Video your guitar practice?

If you video your guitar practice what do you use to video it?

I'm starting to do this. I will have to admit it has been kind of depressing of late. I'm using my phone, I don't want to keep walking back and forth from the phone to keep starting and stopping the recording. Nor do I want to record the whole time. I just want the songs I'm working on to be recorded so I don't have as much to sift through when reviewing it.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas007 View Post

I'm starting to do this. I will have to admit it has been kind of depressing of late. I'm using my phone, I don't want to keep walking back and forth from the phone to keep starting and stopping the recording. Nor do I want to record the whole time. I just want the songs I'm working on to be recorded so I don't have as much to sift through when reviewing it.
Many inexpensive smart phone tripod stands also include a little bluetooth control button specifically for starting and stopping recording
I actually have both of these and they work great

Floor standing
https://www.amazon.com/Aureday-Perfect-Recording-Vlogging-Streaming/dp/B09YTVPQF6/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=iphone+tripod&qid=1668780664&s r=8-4

Desk top
https://www.amazon.com/UBeesize-Port...8780664&sr=8-5

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-18-2022 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-18-2022, 09:06 AM

All the time. Just my smartphone. Practice time is practice time, not wasting it setting up cameras and microphones and stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-18-2022, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

After all these years, I don't really practice, I rehearse.

The only stuff I record now find their way to my YouTube Video, and then, after a while I delete all but the last attempt.

Like this :
Old 11-18-2022, 10:40 AM

When I was playing out accompanying a singer I used to learn quite complex backings and solos.
I always recorded at least the solos camera on fret hand so that I could easily refresh my memory of what I'd worked out several months before.
No attention to a good video, just a record of what needed playing.
Nick
Old 11-18-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
All the time. Just my smartphone. Practice time is practice time, not wasting it setting up cameras and microphones and stuff.
Do you use anything to start and stop the recording remotely or just record the whole time?
Old 11-18-2022, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Do you use anything to start and stop the recording remotely or just record the whole time?
I just record. I figure it's practice, not a product.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 11-18-2022, 03:20 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use my Zoom H5 and its built in mics for practice recordings. I don't bother with video. I have a mic attachment I bought for my phone to use to make videos, but that's on hold for now. It's just easier to get out the H5.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-18-2022 at 04:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:36 AM

Quote:

It looks like one of the remote shutter buttons would be exactly what you need. They are available separately on Amazon for as little as 7 bucks.

I made up a specialty tripod mount when I was using a digital camera for video use. The mount had an adjustable mirror behind the camera so I could see the display when sitting in front of the camera.

I now use my smart phone, but I simply trim the excess at the beginning and end of the video. It's no extra work because I'm combining the video with audio that's separately recorded and then syncing them together in an editing program. The remote button would be much better in your case because you're not doing that.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:40 AM

I record videos of my practice.

I use a permanently-setup webcam and mic setup on my desktop PC so it's very convenient to record: I just need to practice at my desk. I don't normally stop and start the recording during the middle of practice; I record the entire practice session in 1 video.

Most videos get deleted without ever being reviewed. I usually only watch the videos after a particularly good play to see if it was actually (more objectively) really as good as I thought and identify areas for improvement. Also, I use the recording to judge if I'm ready to increase the tempo (most of my practice time seems to be working on bringing pieces up to tempo).

When I practice away from my desk (which isn't common), I don't normally bother with recording.
Old 11-21-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

I've been doing the ArtistWorks [mandolin] classes with "video exchanges" for over a year and a half now. I started with a camcorder and separate mic, syncing afterwards, but have largely migrated to my newer iPhone (13Pro). The video is quite good, can even to 4k and 60fps if I want to zoom or slow-mo something, but with a small tripod desk stand it's dead easy and the sound is quite good, though I do have a treated space.

If there's a negative, there is some compression done in the audio, so when I really care about the dynamics, I'll stick a mic in front and sync the audio, but for 80% (?) of the stuff, it's a waste of time, honestly. The newer smartphones are so easy to use, and I think being able to quickly see results is more important for learning purposes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD