The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 07:13 PM

FWIW on the issue of heat, I had a chance to get a Pearse Fast Turtle 1.2 as part of a package pick deal. I was initially disappointed to see that it was dished, but as I had also recently experimented with flattening a batch of dished Pro-Plecs with heat and clamping I thought I would give that a try.

It worked pretty well with stable results on the celluloid and seemed initially to work on the casein, though the casein soon resumed its dished shape, but without damage.

The dishing kind reduces the versatility of the Pearse, but it's still a cool one trick pony.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
FWIW on the issue of heat, I had a chance to get a Pearse Fast Turtle 1.2 as part of a package pick deal. I was initially disappointed to see that it was dished, but as I had also recently experimented with flattening a batch of dished Pro-Plecs with heat and clamping I thought I would give that a try.

It worked pretty well with stable results on the celluloid and seemed initially to work on the casein, though the casein soon resumed its dished shape, but without damage.

The dishing kind reduces the versatility of the Pearse, but it's still a cool one trick pony.
I've been advised by someone in the know that these will sometimes straighten out better by first soaking them in warm water for thirty minutes or so, THEN clamping. Haven't tried it. I suspect the same thing may happen that you're describing here. Will find out soon enough.....

scott memmer
Old 06-22-2018, 03:52 PM

I've just about come around to the idea that the curve is built into those thinner models in order to lend a little more strength to the pick.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:54 PM

I broke my Red Bear a couple months ago and have been missing it. So I went and ordered a new one from Scott.. Can't wait until it gets here. I like them when they dish.. I use Buffalo horn picks also and the usually dish also... Anyway I won't carry this one in my pocket.
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 06-24-2018, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Callicutt View Post
I've just about come around to the idea that the curve is built into those thinner models in order to lend a little more strength to the pick.
Lee, that may well be true of other picks or other materials, but not so with casein. It's just a really bizarre material.

It may also be true that the curve does lend more strength to a thinner pick, but that is not a designed-in feature, it's just a function or by-product of the material itself. The good news is most people, including me, like it that way. It does seem to improve grip and, as you noted, may very well improve strength. And of course a thinner pick will more than a thicker one.

I may have mentioned this above, but it bears repeating: genuine TS does almost the exact same thing, although not quite as dramatically. It "dishes" as well.

good discussion,

scott
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve223 View Post
I broke my Red Bear a couple months ago and have been missing it. So I went and ordered a new one from Scott.. Can't wait until it gets here. I like them when they dish.. I use Buffalo horn picks also and the usually dish also... Anyway I won't carry this one in my pocket.
A lot of people like them when they dish, including me. Improves grip.

For those who don't like it, put it under something heavy for a week or so, and it will begin to flatten.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion