The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Martin Repair

Tonight I decided to change strings on my Martin D28 1937 Authentic. Before I started i noticed two small cracks in the bridge plate, I even took pics. After I restrung it, when I was tuning it up, the bridge plate literally exploded right where the cracks were. Ended up taking 1/4 of the bridge plate as well as the saddle. I can't tell if the saddle is damaged. Is this something Martin warranty would cover? If not should I still send it Martin or is there someone better to send it?
Old 06-23-2018, 11:33 PM

Wow - yes, the guitar should be covered by Martin's warranty, provided that you're the original owner. What I would do first is call Martin Customer Service first thing in the morning to tell them about what happened, and to find out if they recommend sending the guitar back to the factory or to your nearest authorized Martin Warranty Repair center.

It's often considerably faster to get these needed repairs from an authorized repair center than it is to get it done at the factory. So that is what I would prefer if I was in your shoes.

The phone number to call is 1 (888) 433-9177. Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Time.

As for the damage, that's not a normal defect I've ever heard about on a Martin guitar. To me it sounds as though there was a serious impact that caused those cracks. Did you drop it or drop something on it? If not, was the guitar ever out of your possession long enough for some moron to damage it that way and then not tell you?

Regardless of what actually happened, call Martin Monday morning before you do anything else, and get it fixed.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw3571 View Post
Tonight I decided to change strings on my Martin D28 1937 Authentic. Before I started i noticed two small cracks in the bridge plate, I even took pics. After I restrung it, when I was tuning it up, the bridge plate literally exploded right where the cracks were. Ended up taking 1/4 of the bridge plate as well as the saddle. I can't tell if the saddle is damaged. Is this something Martin warranty would cover? If not should I still send it Martin or is there someone better to send it?
You keep saying "bridge plate" but I think you mean "bridge". The bridge plate is inside the guitar and most people never see it or even ponder that it's there.

A broken bridge as you describe is uncommon, but can happen. Ebony is relatively brittle and sometimes it breaks, but I have seen rosewood bridges break too.

Wade's advice is good, as is typical. Call Martin and they may ask you to send photos or refer you to a local Authorized Repairman. If you are the original owner, it may be covered by warranty but Martin would be the final arbiter of that. If you are not the original owner, I'd expect the repair to cost $150 or so and up to $250 on the high end. That assumes no other damage or work is required.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, and your correct, it is the bridge, not the bridge plate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion