The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 AM

Yeah, my dad is almost 60 now, but we'll jam and he'll play bass or one of us will play lead and the other rhythm (or just play random songs haha).

Hmm, if your son doesn't like JustinGuitar he might prefer the app Yousician (there is both a paid and free version of the app), or Marty Schwartz (on YouTube). Yousician has a unique way of teaching where the move over a guitar tab (or notation if you prefer I believe) so its somewhat similar to guitar hero except it actually teaches guitar haha. It also has instructional videos before you try the skills. When you play it gives instant feedback on each note regarding whether it was the right note, and whether the rhythm was correct.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 06-23-2018, 08:28 AM

Congratulations on your new guitar! You not only have started on a wonderful adventure, you have the best companion too!

"Anyone can be a father but it takes someone Special to be a DAD."

Best,
PJ
Old 06-23-2018, 08:39 AM

This story is simply awesome. So happy for you and your son! Enjoy spending time together and playing your new fiddle! 😀
Old 06-23-2018, 08:40 AM

That is great.

For a first "project" to work on along side learning chords and whatnot, I would suggest Marty's lesson on the intro and chords to "Wish you were here". It is the first song that many beginners learn. It feels very cool the first time you nail that intro, which is simple but sounds great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzxMeQgtyYE

He also has the solo here, but I would put that off for several months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgUI9M3egVM
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 AM

I've been following your threads from the beginning and really loved your story.
It made me smile to read the final chapter of your search - and the first chapter of your playing. My son and I both play and it's a great bond.
I hope you and your son find the joy that playing can bring.
As always, a lot of great advice here - I can't think of a thing to add.
Congrats and make music!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 AM

Congratulations on your purchase, many years of joyful playing to you both !
Old 06-23-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
Thanks to everyone for your kind words and your encouragement in our amazing new adventure together! It was an incredible day...just the start of many more to come with our new found love!!!

I must admit however, while at the store yesterday, I had a thought go through my head: "for just $60 more than this FG800, I could get two guitars and he and I could be playing at the same time (some combination of: Yamaha F335, Epiphone PR-150, Epiphone PRO-1, Ibanez GD10, etc.)."

Again, I appreciate all that each of you has done to help me make the best decisions for myself, but more importantly for my son!!!

TripleB
Such a great start for you two. But let me acquaint you with an acronym that you'll see frequently on this forum... "GAS" It stands for "guitar acquisition syndrome". I think we should start a pool here to see how long it takes you to go after that 2nd guitar . You did the right thing in buying the FG800. In a day's time you'll forget how much it cost an just enjoy it. Had you gone the other way it wouldn't have taken long to get into buyer's remorse.

When you want that 2nd guitar it isn't hard to save for it if it's more important to you than other things. For example, one year I gave up outside beverages entirely. No coke, no tea, no outside coffee, no bottled water.I calculated the savings after one year... I saved more than $1000! Then we switched from cheap store bought club soda and went with a soda stream and saved another $240 for each of the last 3 years. There are so many ways to cut back on every day stuff that you'll never miss.

Once you get going don't be afraid to start taking your coffee breaks at guitar stores and play every guitar, new and used at every price level you can get your hands on. You'll begin to appreciate what you have and having educated your hands and ears, when you get hold of that next $100 wonder you'll be ready to jump on it... and then you'll have your two. BTW... My rule of thumb for a used instrument in near mint condition is 60% of street retail. I'll bet you could get that second used one for $120 if you know how to approach the manager. Never be afraid to ask for discounts or make an offer. The worst thing that can happen is that they can say no.

Again, congratulations and good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-23-2018, 10:55 AM

Congratulations to you both !

I think I got MY first guitar when I was about 11 , I am 67 now and plan on starting to learn any day now .....

My 32 year old son has been playing since he was about 17, he is pretty good and tries to show me stuff !
Old 06-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Great story. Congratulations and best of luck to both of you in your playing careers.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:07 PM

Very cool!! Congrats to you and your son.... And Happy playing!
2017 Washburn Revival 1939 Solo Deluxe reissue (S EIR sunburst) (Amber)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2008 S style (Blue)
2018 T style (Pearl)
2019 Fender Mustang II V2
Old 06-23-2018, 02:26 PM

Congrats! Sounds like you picked a winner and I glad to see your son so excited about learning to play. My dad and I started our guitar journey together and it’s something I’ll always cherish.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:11 PM

You did great! Congrats on a really nice guitar. You made a really good choice. I have both an FS and FG. Really like both. Also have an FG820-12 (12 string) that I really like a lot.

And, yes it may be a life changing moment for you both.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:52 PM

Hats off to the young man who confirmed the value of your choice and who may have given your son some lifetime inspiration.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v32 finish View Post
That is FANTASTIC!!

And on that note, I'll close this reply by saying... there's gonna be frustration when you get stuck or don't see the progress you imagined, and then there's also gonna be joy and elation, when you nail a song for the first time, create a nice lick, etc etc. The point is, keep at it, and you'll see you've taken the first steps on -- literally -- a lifetime adventure and journey.

Good luck!!
Thank you!!!

I had my first frustration moment today (and it wasn't even something to get frustrated about)...learning my first chord, D, and my fat ring finger won't just stay on the second string - it wants to go see what's happening on the first string or the third string. I think I need to start using some finger stretching exercises!

Of course my son with his smaller (and younger) fingers had no problem playing the D chord

I don't know how guys with fingers like mine (or larger) play electric guitars...maybe it's just my old eyes, but electric guitar strings appear to be even closer together than the ones on our FG800.

I appreciate the advice and well wishes!

TripleB

Last edited by TripleB; 06-23-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:58 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations. A live teacher will make all the difference. It's really important.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion