The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-12-2018, 10:52 AM

Default Instrumental repertoire

I find that if I don't play each of the 15-20 songs in my repertoire a minimum of 2-3 times a week, I can easily lose them from memory.

These are pieces that I can play at a moments notice without checking sheet music or any of my notes. If I don't play them frequently, it'll take a bit of work to get them back "under my fingers again".

They range from Beatles, Rock tunes, Jazz chord melody & semi-classical pieces.

What do other do to keep the instrumental repertoire fresh at your fingertips?

How many strictly instrumental songs are in your repertoire?
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post

I don't feel that the type of song has anything to do with memory.
Sometimes it is the lyrics that escape me.
I have a form on my laptop that lists 30 songs of different genres.
Everyday while playing/practicing other things I choose 2-3 of these songs to play thru several times to keep them in memory.
When I get to the bottom of the list, I start all over again.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I probably have around 20-30 that I play semi-regularly, several times that many that I used to know :-), but that I'd have to basically relearn to perform them. The only way I know to keep them under your fingers is to play them regularly. If you perform a lot, you get practice by playing them frequently at gigs. Otherwise, you practice at home. For all but the simplest pieces, I will lose them if I don't play them regularly. As far as I know, maintaining repertoire is a core task for every musician. Some people say they practice in their heads, and I try that sometimes, but it's not a real replacement for actually playing.

I heard one good tip years ago, someone suggested putting all your tunes on index cards, one tune per card. Shuffle them, then pick 2 or 3 every day to play - no cheating, pick the top 2 or 3 in the deck, and then put them in the bottom after you've played them. Forces you to play thru all tunes regularly, even when you don't feel like it. I've tried it, but keep misplacing the cards :-)

Before gigs, I definitely pick the tunes I plan to play, allowing for some extras in case I miscalculate the time, or think there might be a reason for an alternate, and run thru them at least once, if not more in the days before the gig.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:31 PM

I have about the same number as you for fingerstyle. My challenge is keeping the fiddle tunes and bluegrass tunes, blues and rock tunes in the front of my brain. It’s now over 60 songs I have to remember depending on if I play solo or with a group.
Old 06-12-2018, 02:43 PM

I have around 18-20 instrumental pieces that I try to keep up to date.

i usually finish my daily practice with three of the most recent that need work, or
i just feel like playing.

On Fridays, I don't like to practice, so I play the entire list.

I find that some that I have played longer, only need the weekly run thru. The more recent, fall into the daily run thru.

If I have a gig, I'd make sure they are close to perfect, otherwise, close with no
memory issues is good.
www.Grassandeclectic.com
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCibq...view_as=public
Old 06-12-2018, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I find that if I don't play each of the 15-20 songs in my repertoire a minimum of 2-3 times a week, I can easily lose them from memory.

These are pieces that I can play at a moments notice without checking sheet music or any of my notes. If I don't play them frequently, it'll take a bit of work to get them back "under my fingers again".

They range from Beatles, Rock tunes, Jazz chord melody & semi-classical pieces.

Confusing. You mention songs (i.e musical pieces with vocals) but talk about instrumentals. For me the guitar stuff is just down to my fingers ... nothing to do with me, but the lyrics ... as much as I love them .. they are my challenge, but then there are a couple of hundred in my rep.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Lyrics? That’s why I play with a singing drummer. I have a better voice and a worse memory for words.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:48 AM

Default Instrumental repertoire

I had the same problem and playing fingerstyle instrumental pieces during worship and communion most Sundays the pieces have to be glitch free . To help this I divided the pieces into four sets of 15 and I simply play through one a day . If I have time two . One day a week I work on new pieces.
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 AM

Sorry to confuse you. Here's an example of a tune / song that I play. It's one that I have to play complete almost every day to retain it under my fingers.

Glen Roth was gractious to provide me with his arrangement of it.

Dave

https://youtu.be/BVcFf2vXnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Confusing. You mention songs (i.e musical pieces with vocals) but talk about instrumentals. For me the guitar stuff is just down to my fingers ... nothing to do with me, but the lyrics ... as much as I love them .. they are my challenge, but then there are a couple of hundred in my rep.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-13-2018, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Repertoire maintenance.
That’s what my gigging friends and I call it. It’s absolutely necessary, whether it’s fingerstyle, flat picking or strumming with vocals.
In my experience, the fingerstyle pieces require more attention, but that may be just me.

If I’m in “playing shape”, (gigging regularly, playing daily) I don’t practice much if at all. I play of course, outside of my gigs, but repertoire maintenance is still necessary.

Somewhat similar to what Doug mentioned, I simply have a list of most of the tunes I play. I take two or three a day, and play them as though I was performing. No “cherry picking” allowed. It takes more than a month to play through the entire list, but I’ve not discovered any other method that achieves the same result.

Now I’m not going to pretend that I can always retain pieces this way- but as I’ve said, it’s the best method I’ve found. Long ago, I learned Guy Van Duser’s arrangement of the Stars and Stripes forever. Took me about a year and a half to bring it to performance level. A piece as difficult as that requires much more attention. So I eventually stopped playing it. I can still get through it, but definitely need the tab and notation to get through it. And it’s not at a performance level. What I’m saying, is even if you’re doing repertoire maintenance, some pieces will require much more attention. It’s up to you if you want to invest the time, or sacrifices may have to be made.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 06-13-2018, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…What do other do to keep the instrumental repertoire fresh at your fingertips?
Hi dk

I play them in my head. I've been playing music since age 8, and am now nearly 70 yrs old. I've been playing things in my head on several instruments for decades.

I'm not sure it works for others, but it works for me to just 'play' them in my mind. I can run through songs and arrangements, and actually feel the fingerings in my 'brain' as I do so.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi dk

I play them in my head. I've been playing music since age 8, and am now nearly 70 yrs old. I've been playing things in my head on several instruments for decades.

I'm not sure it works for others, but it works for me to just 'play' them in my mind. I can run through songs and arrangements, and actually feel the fingerings in my 'brain' as I do so.

Same here. Even with stuff I don't actually know I can hear them and work out the progression and finger picking in my head. That's just from years of ear training and knowledge of the fret board.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Used to have two to three hours of classical and fingerstyle repertoire on hand. Takes continuing amount of time. Nowadays mainly spend most of my guitar time composing so performance repertoire is limited.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

I have about thirty instrumentals that I have cheater sheets for. They are musical notes for points I need reminded of. I like to play them but I also need to play them regularly to be close to performance speed. I take time off from playing them when I'm learning new things, composing or working on my vocal gig material. I have three sets of vocal material I do. I have lyric sheets for them. Every so often I play a set to keep within touch of performing them. I don't like to get out of shape both physically or mentally. The older I get the more maintenance each needs.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 06-27-2018, 11:21 AM

I play primarily original compositions, so that makes it easier to remember. Also, I am always improvising some aspect of the arrangement to suit my mood or the audience, so I never play a piece exactly the same way twice.

Like ljguitar, I somewhere along the years developed the ability to "visualize" the fretboard and strings so that I can practice "in my head." It also helps to be able to break a piece down into smaller parts so you can focus on the passages that need more rehearsal.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write