The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-14-2017, 06:35 AM

Default Trying to remove end pin/pickup - HELP

Hey fellow AGF'ers

This has me stumped. I'm trying to remove an old pickup, but have no idea how to get out this end pin jack, it's not the standard fare with a nut that you loosen...

Anyone seen one of these before??

Old 11-14-2017, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

yes, those slots are for a spanner wrench (basically a wide screwdriver with a space in the middle.

You can put a wide blade in those slots and unscrew it.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-14-2017, 10:58 AM

I haven't seen that exact model before. Fazool's advice is sound. But to add... Some endpins are glued in and a pair of pliers or vice grips is necessary to twist and remove the end-pin.

Check inside with a mirror to make certain there is no nut on a threaded barrel before you try, just to be safe.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 11-14-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Check inside with a mirror to make certain there is no nut on a threaded barrel before you try, just to be safe.
I suspect that is the case, and after removing that outer piece, the endpin jack can be removed from the inside.
et al
Old 11-14-2017, 11:30 PM

Most of the endpin jacks are Fishman or Schatten. I am just guessing that it is a Schatten. If you look them up you can find diagrammes that will give you an idea of how each one is installed.

I would suggest that you remove the pickup and leave the endpin jack in place. For one, it leaves a big hole in the rim where no standard endpin fits. For two, you or the next owner may decide to install a new pickup. The endpin is already in place. For three, now that it has been reamed out for the endpin jack it is structurally stronger with it in place.

I don't like these endpin jacks but I leave it in place when the guitar comes with it. I would also leave a sufficient length of wire for an easy installation of a pickup should the need arise. Just fold and tape down the free wire to the end block.

IMH Great Unwashed Opinion.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 11-15-2017 at 12:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair