The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-22-2018, 10:21 PM

Default Sailing- fingerstyle of Rod Stewarts 1975 song

So I have moved from electric to acoustic over the past few years and have now moved onto doing my own arrangements. Still very much on the learning curve. I like to pick more obscure tunes from the 70's rather than redo the fingerstyle standards.

Here is an arrangement of Rod Stewart's song Sailing from 1975(written by Gavin Sutherland).

I used my Furch custom AR 35. This guitar is very lightly built and tends to get 'chimey' on the top so I put Martin Retros on it for this and was very pleased with the sound.

I cannot figure out how to embed my vimeo video so here is the link. My wife says I should smile, I told her I am concentrating

https://vimeo.com/276510289
Old 06-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Al! Nice playing and good sound coming from your guitar!

- Glenn
Old 06-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Al. I remember that song!
Old 06-23-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Very nice, Al! Nice playing and good sound coming from your guitar!

- Glenn
Thanks for listening Glenn. Also thanks for posting your tutorial on "making a video". This was my first attempt and your instruction helped tremendously.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Nice job Al. I remember that song!
Thanks Bob
Funny how some songs just stick in your brain. Initially I had the Robin Trower's Long Misty Days album which had his version, James Dewar (his vocalist/bassist) did a great vocal on it.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_az View Post
Thanks for listening Glenn. Also thanks for posting your tutorial on "making a video". This was my first attempt and your instruction helped tremendously.
Wonderful! That is so very good to read!

- Glenn
Old 06-24-2018, 12:46 AM

Well done Al. Nice to listen to your interpretation of this (all time) classic. And those who also watched your Project#1 know how redemptive your smile can be. Lots of electric power behind you there on that video. And btw nice microphone. Have you got a matched pair of them?

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 06-24-2018, 07:27 AM

Charlie,

Thanks for listening.

Good eyes! The mic, of course, is a Neuman Km184. I have/use two but they are not a matched pair. I tried to be cheap and just buy one then the urge to record in stereo came and I got the second. I am not sure about the importance of being matched, after all I am positioning them at different spots and they are 'hearing' different signals.

Good eyes, those are only only some of my electrics. The 'power' though,the 3 Mesa Boogies are out of sight. So are my hearing aids
Old 06-25-2018, 03:26 AM

Good job getting the video together, it’s not easy..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-25-2018, 08:39 AM

you know it was not quite as hard as I had thought. My online instructor has been trying to get me to submit my work in video rather than MP3. Glenwillow, a forum member who posts many videos here did a video on how he does his videos and it helped immensely.

Doing a good video, which mine is not, is another issue. To consider back drop, lighting, camera angle, smiling (), is the next step. Not sure I want to get into all of that.

My next lesson submission is next month, so now I have to pick a song, arrrange it, learn it, record it. That is going to keep me busy enough.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:36 AM

Nice. Good song, very clean technique, enjoyable. Smiles can wait. I must say that watching your vid sent me to YouTube for a refresher on the original. The image of Rod Stewart, long shaggy hair, in a Navy uniform made me lol.
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 06-25-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstroop View Post
Nice. Good song, very clean technique, enjoyable. Smiles can wait. I must say that watching your vid sent me to YouTube for a refresher on the original. The image of Rod Stewart, long shaggy hair, in a Navy uniform made me lol.
Thanks!

The other thing you will notice on Rod's video is that it was shot off Manhattan and there are a few shots that include the World Trade Center Towers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell