The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-09-2022, 12:51 PM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh suburbs
Posts: 7,985
Default

Very nice work as usual, Tim and Mary. Great choices on the Tonewoods, Matt. Iíve known the McKnight family for 15 years and itís always a treat to see these threads, visit their workshop every June and try out some fine guitars. I envy you though. One of their 6 strings has never followed me home, though Iíve played many!

Mary, how does ziricote taste?
__________________
Tinkerer and finger/flatpicker.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-09-2022, 10:49 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default










thanks guys looks like its coming along really well. I'm still excited to see how the inlays from Harvey will look like.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-10-2022, 12:33 PM
jjhturbo jjhturbo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 282
Default

Congrats, Matt! I embarked on the same journey around this time last year. And as you and others have stated here, you have picked the best people to work with. From start to finish, they went above and beyond to get me exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful woods you've chosen!

Best to you.
__________________
Acoustics:
Froggy Bottom, Emerald, McKnight
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 PM
Eire Eire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: two doors down from nowhere
Posts: 184
Default

Like you, Matt, I stumbled on the McKnights and felt an immediate sense of being at ease and in good hands (well, until Tim took me up to the loft and blindfolded me, but fortunately started handing me guitars to truly 'listen' to as I played rather than holding me for ransom, as if that would've gained him anything).

I had talked with or met nearly twenty luthiers before visiting Greater Metropolitan Morral. Something clicked with Tim and Mary on that first visit, and a check for the downpayment was in their hands before I pulled out of their driveway. I consider both of 'em dear friends and am so grateful for their place in my life.

That first McKnight build was nearly sixteen years ago. I've had the pleasure of playing many of Tim's guitars in the years since and taking more than my share home. My hope is that you've listened carefully to his guidance; he will not steer you wrong.

Enjoy the ride.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-10-2022, 11:49 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
Congrats, Matt! I embarked on the same journey around this time last year. And as you and others have stated here, you have picked the best people to work with. From start to finish, they went above and beyond to get me exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful woods you've chosen!

Best to you.
Thank you so much for the affirmation. Yes indeed this community speaks volume of Tim and Mary. what can i say... the are just lovely genuine people.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Like you, Matt, I stumbled on the McKnights and felt an immediate sense of being at ease and in good hands (well, until Tim took me up to the loft and blindfolded me, but fortunately started handing me guitars to truly 'listen' to as I played rather than holding me for ransom, as if that would've gained him anything).

I had talked with or met nearly twenty luthiers before visiting Greater Metropolitan Morral. Something clicked with Tim and Mary on that first visit, and a check for the downpayment was in their hands before I pulled out of their driveway. I consider both of 'em dear friends and am so grateful for their place in my life.

That first McKnight build was nearly sixteen years ago. I've had the pleasure of playing many of Tim's guitars in the years since and taking more than my share home. My hope is that you've listened carefully to his guidance; he will not steer you wrong.

Enjoy the ride.

absolutely. I had the same experience as you did.. virtually of course because of Covid and Omnicron hahaha! How is that guitar of yours coming along after all these years? Aged beautifully i suppose
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-11-2022, 09:18 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Bindings are going up. always gotta tell myself " be patient" HAHAHHA






Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-11-2022, 09:25 PM
Steve Kinnaird's Avatar
Steve Kinnaird Steve Kinnaird is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Nacogdoches, TX
Posts: 3,303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1992 View Post

Zircote Back


Back & Sides

Holy cow! It doesnít get much prettier than thatógreat score!

Steve
__________________
www.stephenkinnaird.com

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-12-2022, 02:23 AM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Holy cow! It doesnít get much prettier than thatógreat score!

Steve
Thank you Brother Steve
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-12-2022, 06:38 AM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Mary, how does ziricote taste?


After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods but Zircote tempted me and I can assure you it has a pleasant mellow nutty wooded flavor.

I probably would have been quite comfortable walking the lands with Euell Gibbons.
__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-12-2022, 07:12 AM
Mary's Avatar
Mary Mary is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North Central Ohio
Posts: 9,168
Default

FYI:
Winter will play havoc on your guitar fretboard. Do yourself a favor and don't skip using Tim's fretboard balm treatment during indoor dry air. Orders have been coming in. Be alert to the calling out of your guitar in younger years and as she ages you both will be grateful to your great parenting skills to keep her healthy.
__________________
🐟 ... make a joyful noise ...

http://www.mcknightguitars.com
http://myspace.com/mcknightguitars
http://www.youtube.com/McKnightGuitars

McJam Ohio June annual event - contact Tim or me in PM
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-12-2022, 07:16 PM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods but Zircote tempted me and I can assure you it has a pleasant mellow nutty wooded flavor.

I probably would have been quite comfortable walking the lands with Euell Gibbons.

nutty wooded flavor. this sounds like a very good cup of coffee which i will need every morning. I struggle to sleep everynight, i think its because of this guitar.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-13-2022, 04:28 PM
Eire Eire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: two doors down from nowhere
Posts: 184
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods...
Just for clarification, Mary wasn't truly taste-testing the cocobolo but rather struggled with an allergic reaction to it, as I recall, on that first build of mine many moons ago. And yes, Matt, that particular guitar has aged splendidly -- much better than I have, certainly.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM
Tim McKnight's Avatar
Tim McKnight Tim McKnight is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Morral, Ohio
Posts: 5,678
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Just for clarification, Mary wasn't truly taste-testing the cocobolo but rather struggled with an allergic reaction to it, as I recall, on that first build of mine many moons ago. And yes, Matt, that particular guitar has aged splendidly -- much better than I have, certainly.
You are correct Eire. During your build we did discover that Mary does have a severe allergy to Cocobolo dust so we have to be very careful working with it. That incident led us to install the massive dust collection system in our shop. Others my have noticed the 8Ē diameter green pipes running throughout the shop. The pipes connect each stationary power tool to our vacuum system which does a good job of evacuating wood dust at the machine source. Itís certainly not a sterile environment but itís worked well for us.
__________________
tim...
www.mcknightguitars.com
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM
matt1992 matt1992 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Posts: 19
Default

Now i know i shall not choose cocobolo wood for Mary's Health sake! I am already starting to think what i should do for my next build, in a couple of years time. Something tells me that this will be an amazing piece. I CANT WAIT!!!









Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=