The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-26-2021, 01:23 AM
joeguam joeguam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,752
Default Why are most of the Taylor T5Z’s on back order right now?

I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used). For example, my friend works at the Guitar Center closest to the Taylor factory in El Cajon, CA and they only had one demo for sale (in black so I didn’t want it). But, he also said they’re completely sold out at the 3 nearest Guitar Center locations and everything on their website is on back order as well. I also did a search on Craigslist in a 300-mile radius and found nothing used for sale. Reverb doesn’t have much either. I checked Sweetwater, and most of their T5Z models are also on back order as well (only have 1 in stock right now).

I love my T5Z, use it for gigs 6 days a week so I was looking into getting one for a backup. But for a guitar that’s mostly criticized (on forums/YouTube/etc), it’s interesting that there aren’t very many available for purchase. Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?
__________________
AGF rules say I must tell you that I'm a KoAloha Ukulele sponsored artist.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-26-2021, 01:41 AM
Taylor Ham Taylor Ham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 489
Default Why are most of the Taylor T5Z’s on back order right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used). For example, my friend works at the Guitar Center closest to the Taylor factory in El Cajon, CA and they only had one demo for sale (in black so I didn’t want it). But, he also said they’re completely sold out at the 3 nearest Guitar Center locations and everything on their website is on back order as well. I also did a search on Craigslist in a 300-mile radius and found nothing used for sale. Reverb doesn’t have much either. I checked Sweetwater, and most of their T5Z models are also on back order as well (only have 1 in stock right now).



I love my T5Z, use it for gigs 6 days a week so I was looking into getting one for a backup. But for a guitar that’s mostly criticized (on forums/YouTube/etc), it’s interesting that there aren’t very many available for purchase. Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?


The T5z uses a thick chunk of mahogany that is then hollowed out for the back and sides. It could be tough getting the appropriate sized pieces because of the supply chain issues/ they could be sitting in a container just off shore.

Or, Taylor's getting ready to mix it up again.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-26-2021, 01:45 AM
joeguam joeguam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Ham View Post
The T5z uses a thick chunk of mahogany that is then hollowed out for the back and sides. It could be tough getting the appropriate sized pieces because of the supply chain issues/ they could be sitting in a container just off shore.

Or, Taylor's getting ready to mix it up again.
That's interesting, I thought Taylor had a century supply of Sapele on hand, haha. But you're right, it could definitely be a supply issue.
__________________
AGF rules say I must tell you that I'm a KoAloha Ukulele sponsored artist.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Mak2525 Mak2525 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,058
Default

Just a guess on my part, but I would say it's due to the electronics supply chain issues, more so than wood availability. Also, the T5Z models are a very small part of Taylor's overall sales, so they may be focusing more manpower on getting the best selling model inventory levels up first?
__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:33 AM
Dru Edwards Dru Edwards is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 42,626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak2525 View Post
Just a guess on my part, but I would say it's due to the electronics supply chain issues, more so than wood availability. Also, the T5Z models are a very small part of Taylor's overall sales, so they may be focusing more manpower on getting the best selling model inventory levels up first?
That would be my thought as well. A lot of companies in all industries have focused on producing their core, popular products.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2021, 08:49 AM
dnf777's Avatar
dnf777 dnf777 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,383
Default

I wonder if theres not a surge in interest of hybrids now, sparked by Fender’s latest offering at a new price point? Seems like the hybrids are a natural fit for much of the classic rock/folk/country repertoires, and gigging seems to be at recent highs (at least for now). Im wondering if an acoustic hybrid Les Paul style Gibson is in the works?
__________________
Dave F
*************
Martins
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-26-2021, 03:13 PM
joeguam joeguam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
I wonder if theres not a surge in interest of hybrids now, sparked by Fender’s latest offering at a new price point? Seems like the hybrids are a natural fit for much of the classic rock/folk/country repertoires, and gigging seems to be at recent highs (at least for now). Im wondering if an acoustic hybrid Les Paul style Gibson is in the works?
I believe the T5Z is the “Les Paul Hybrid” (as you described) considering the HH format and body shape. A few online reviewers/demos also say very similar things with regards to tone but let’s see if Gibson takes a shot in the hybrid direction. PRS already has the hollowbody piezo II with the amazing electric tones, but personally I like the acoustic tone of the T5z better. Great to have options (I think?).
__________________
AGF rules say I must tell you that I'm a KoAloha Ukulele sponsored artist.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-26-2021, 11:35 PM
gmel555 gmel555 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Lower Slower Delaware
Posts: 2,074
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
I recently scoured online looking for a Taylor T5Z and have found very few for sale (both new or used)......Is this just a result of the tough times we’re in? Or some other reason? What gives?
There's ~ 50 new Classics ($1999) and Classic Deluxes ($2199) in total on reverb right now. Something like 23 Classics ad 27 Classic Deluxes. Maybe the big box stores aren't the best barometer...? (PS: I have one and think it's a great guitar for certain applications. I use it for amplified acoustic guitar needs in a full classic rock band (much better feedback resistance -IMHO- than amplified regular acoustics in that environment) and also as a rhythm electric without needing to switch guitars on stage. Light weight and compact body, I use it with a TC Electronic "Body-Rez" Pedal that nicely enhances the acoustic tone. It's perfect for me in that application.)

Last edited by gmel555; 12-26-2021 at 11:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-27-2021, 07:15 AM
jonfields45 jonfields45 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Allentown, PA
Posts: 4,166
Default

We're coming up on winter NAMM and Fender is pushing 20% off on US Acoustasonics. Maybe inventory is being cleared and the T5z and American Acoustasonic are about to be updated? Here's my wish list:

Neck pickup for the Acoustasonic.

ES-2 plus standard sized and mounted magnetic pickups for the T5z.
__________________
jf45ir Free DIY Acoustic Guitar IR Generator
.wav file, 30 seconds, pickup left, mic right, open position strumming best...send to direct email below
I'll send you 100/0, 75/25, 60/40, 50/50, 40/60, and 25/75 IR/Bypass IRs
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-27-2021, 11:57 AM
vcs700s vcs700s is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 147
Default

Gruhn has a new Taylor T5z right now.

Check it out under “new arrivals.”

https://guitars.com/
__________________
Thanks, Vic

Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender Player Telecaster
Fender Squier Affinity Telecaster
Fender Champion 40 Amp
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-27-2021, 01:03 PM
12barBill 12barBill is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs700s View Post
Gruhn has a new Taylor T5z right now.

Check it out under “new arrivals.”

https://guitars.com/

This one:
https://guitars.com/inventory/ex1475...ssic-sassafras
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-28-2021, 01:10 AM
joeguam joeguam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
We're coming up on winter NAMM and Fender is pushing 20% off on US Acoustasonics. Maybe inventory is being cleared and the T5z and American Acoustasonic are about to be updated? Here's my wish list:

Neck pickup for the Acoustasonic.

ES-2 plus standard sized and mounted magnetic pickups for the T5z.
No neck pickup was the deal breaker for me. To each their own, and this was my own (reason for not buying one). Haha.
__________________
AGF rules say I must tell you that I'm a KoAloha Ukulele sponsored artist.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-28-2021, 01:13 AM
joeguam joeguam is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,752
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcs700s View Post
Gruhn has a new Taylor T5z right now.

Check it out under “new arrivals.”

https://guitars.com/
That's pretty cool, but for me, that wood isn't what I'd spend $2200 on. I know someone out there absolutely loves sassafras so that would be perfect for them. Thanks for posting about Gruhn's, never heard of them before, now they're in my bookmarks.
__________________
AGF rules say I must tell you that I'm a KoAloha Ukulele sponsored artist.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-28-2021, 03:09 PM
dnf777's Avatar
dnf777 dnf777 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NW Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,383
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
That's pretty cool, but for me, that wood isn't what I'd spend $2200 on. I know someone out there absolutely loves sassafras so that would be perfect for them. Thanks for posting about Gruhn's, never heard of them before, now they're in my bookmarks.
Gruhns is a nice little used guitar shop.
__________________
Dave F
*************
Martins
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Rudy4 Rudy4 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,627
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Gruhns is a nice little used guitar shop.
Gruhns is an institution.
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=