The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-14-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
I share Chriscom's concerns. The 41 lbs is a show-stopper for me. The Pro8 is
the only Pro model I would consider. I also have the L1m2 and would
sacrifice a little power to save some trips up and down stairs. I
read/saw the Pro8 is more like an L1S replacement than the L1 Compact.
The Compact did not cut it for my needs.

After viewing the comments and video links in this thread, I am convinced the
Pro8 has more features and sounds fuller. Is this translating into
noticeably more power and coverage than the L1 Compact?

Thanks.
I too would sacrifice a "little" power to save trips.. The pro 16 roller bag is the answer. The entire system fits in the roller bag. I'd love to A/B the pro 16 and L1M2. They are currently standing side by side at my GC. I gotta say, the 16 looks and feels like a cheap toy next to the L1... Not very good marketing to have them next to each other. The sales guy tipped the 16 forward to check something out and everyone ran to catch rhe column (it didn't fall, but the fact everyone thought it would was telling...it swayed in the wind the entire time people were checking it out.) I realize I'm talking out if both sides of my mouth...I sold my L1M2 because of weight and trips and here bose made something that sounds great, is much lighter... Yep...grabbing my guitar and heading over at some point today to give the 16 and ev 30m a try...I can live with column if it performs...
Old 02-14-2021, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
I too would sacrifice a "little" power to save trips.. The pro 16 roller bag is the answer. The entire system fits in the roller bag. I'd love to A/B the pro 16 and L1M2. They are currently standing side by side at my GC. I gotta say, the 16 looks and feels like a cheap toy next to the L1... Not very good marketing to have them next to each other. The sales guy tipped the 16 forward to check something out and everyone ran to catch rhe column (it didn't fall, but the fact everyone thought it would was telling...it swayed in the wind the entire time people were checking it out.) I realize I'm talking out if both sides of my mouth...I sold my L1M2 because of weight and trips and here bose made something that sounds great, is much lighter... Yep...grabbing my guitar and heading over at some point today to give the 16 and ev 30m a try...I can live with column if it performs...
Nice introductory and this is the one I'm really interested in hearing more about. I may eventually buy a Pro8, but the 16 is the one I'd really like to get if the positive reports are good enough. Maybe you could start a thread about the comparison because I'm sure I'm not the only L1 MII owner to want a replacement for it.
Friedman DS40, Marshall 6101, 401, RedPlate Phoenix, Splawn Street Rod, Budda SD18
Old 02-15-2021, 05:53 PM

The 16 sounds truly amazing! I must admit...the OP's review of the 8 sounded so impressive that I thought there must have been some other eq/effects/room mic involved. I just put my Om28/full Anthem through the unit at GC and...perfect. I never think "perfect"...at best I always think "good enough...I'll mess with it when I get home..(kind of like most acoustic pickups). I used the basic tonematch guitar setting.. Really, really impressed..

I have to be honest...I was not as impressed when I put some tunes on via Bluetooth on my phone....sounded thin...didn't play with any Bluetooth settings and played some Tyler Childers...probably a better option to test the Bluetooth out there.. (S1 pro sounds great with Bluetooth tunes) I have to return with my own mic and hear some vox before I can make a decision on a purchase...but guitar passed the test admirably..
Old 02-15-2021, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willymartin View Post
The 16 sounds truly amazing! I must admit...the OP's review of the 8 sounded so impressive that I thought there must have been some other eq/effects/room mic involved. I just put my Om28/full Anthem through the unit at GC and...perfect. I never think "perfect"...at best I always think "good enough...I'll mess with it when I get home..(kind of like most acoustic pickups). I used the basic tonematch guitar setting.. Really, really impressed..

I have to be honest...I was not as impressed when I put some tunes on via Bluetooth on my phone....sounded thin...didn't play with any Bluetooth settings and played some Tyler Childers...probably a better option to test the Bluetooth out there.. (S1 pro sounds great with Bluetooth tunes) I have to return with my own mic and hear some vox before I can make a decision on a purchase...but guitar passed the test admirably..
That's awesome you got a chance to review and hear it with your own guitar. Are you talking about the Pro8 or Pro16?

I have only played a little background music from Spotify via Bluetooth to the Bose. I was impressed. Keep in mind you can also set the Bose to "Music" mode. There is a small push button on back to select either: "Off/Live/Music/Speech" Modes.

Keep us posted.
Martin D-18 (2015)
Former: Martin D-41 (2018 Reimagined)
Fender CS '51 Nocaster Heavy Relic
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
PRS 594 Semi Hollow Wood Library
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 02-15-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
That's awesome you got a chance to review and hear it with your own guitar. Are you talking about the Pro8 or Pro16?

I have only played a little background music from Spotify via Bluetooth to the Bose. I was impressed. Keep in mind you can also set the Bose to "Music" mode. There is a small push button on back to select either: "Off/Live/Music/Speech" Modes.

Keep us posted.
It was the 16...I know you reviewed the 8... The 8 would cover a lot of my gigs but I actually need at least the 16 when the band gets rolling post covid..

I knew about the music mode and should have taken the time to test that before I picked on the sound...I'll give that another try next trip.

Thank you Groberts for your review...extremely helpful!
Old 02-16-2021, 08:29 AM

The Pro 16 has 2x 1-star reviews on Sweetwater.com out of 5. I’d urge you to read them. This is not a skewed sample size either, check youtube/other music retailer reviews, same thing.

Quote:
Rattle rattle buzz-not good.
February 7, 2021
Customer,
Music Background: Professional gigging musician
All the new features Bose has packed into their new units is irrelevant when the quality of sound has been greatly compromised by poor design. I wonder if any of the engineers at Bose are musicians in the real world and tested these in a real world situations. If they did and let this slip by, shame on them. If there is some corporate exec that signed off on this to save a couple dollars, please fire them immediately, as I have lost faith in your expensive products once again.

I am stuck with another Bose since I missed my 45 day return window. Covid hasn't helped as I would have noticed an extreme sound quality issue had I been able to play out more with the L1subpar16.

Sweetwater sent out another L1subpar16 in attempts to address, what I have determined to be a major design flaw, something that is incorporated into the hundreds, if not thousands, of systems already manufactured. Sweetwater has lost money shipping me a replacement L1subpar16 and return shipping for the old L1subpar16.

Forget about low end. Forget about have a full sounding solo acoustic or electric guitar. Forget about adding a bass player, or kick pedal, or anything that requires a full range of low end sound.

Who cares about a racetrack sub design when the unit as a whole is affected. Also, I don't see any ergonomic benefit they advertise. This sub is basically as big and heavy as my model II sub. Plus they don't include a protective slip cover for the sub this time around-very unprofessional. This unit does not deserve pro in the title.

The worst of it-

The array, oh the horrible array. What have you done Bose? Quality of build has been greatly diminished with this new design.

I used my already purchased sub and left the new one in the box to save any of my already wasted time. I put my original line array on and got to the problem areas. Then I swapped and put the newly shipped out array on. Same issues.

The one piece 16 driver array is half the weight of one of the 12 driver arrays of my L1 Model II.

The L1subpar16 array has a very shallow connection to the sub, The array extension is a light, hollow piece of plastic that causes the array to lean forward. Feels cheap and looks sloppy. I've never used it a at gig.

There is buzzing and rattling in the L1subpar16 array that does not happen on my L1 Model II. The rattling is dominant in the speakers that are head level. I did squat down and could hear some in the lower array, but not as much as at the top of the array. So I really get to notice the nastiness at standing playing level. One cannot simply enjoy playing music without the distraction.

Volume on unit was set about 11 o'clock. So who knows what would happen trying to use higher volume levels. Forget about bigger gigs.

Tried all the eq'd switch presets on the Bose on channel 1 and even turned bass all the way down on the channel.

I even tried using the flimsy extension to see if it added any decoupling from the sub to make any difference-nope.
Quote:
I sent it back. Extremely disappointed
January 17, 2021
Dustin Allen, Florida
Music Background: Worship Leader / Songwriter 20+ years
Didn't have a good experience with the L1 Pro 16. The line array spacer was made of very poor material that made the entire line array rock back and forth. One wrong person leaning a little on it and it would break easily. The Speakers have a high pitched hiss (even when nothing is plugged in) and it gets louder as you turn up the volume. There is only one reverb setting on the app and it's not a very good reverb. I sent mine back as did many others I've talked with. I did a 4 part video on YT that shows all of this. Extremely dissatisfied. However the old L1 systems are great. Hopefully we can get back to those sometime soon
These units were rushed. How do we know this? They have compromised wobbly connections/components, can develop a rattle, and some even have a permanent high hiss.

If I had to have a stick PA, hands down the EV Evolve 30M or EV Evolve 50M are a much more reliable choice. Or the Fishman SA for portability. But by all means, keep drinking that $1800 Bose koolaid.

Last edited by Teleplucker; 02-16-2021 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Rule #1
Old 02-16-2021, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
The Pro 16 has 2x 1-star reviews on Sweetwater.com out of 5. Iíd urge you to read them. This is not a skewed sample size either, check youtube/other music retailer reviews, same thing.

These units were rushed.
This is really looking like there are some properly working units and also a lot of problem ones being shipped, otherwise there could not be such positive reviews of the same product, especially by people who have noted some of their own disatisfactions along with the fact that they still love the sound of the new systems.

I'll be holding off getting anything from this new line until things get straightened out, but when there's still more than half of the reviews I've seen out there are positive, it seems that you're throwing sour grapes because you're unhappy with your bad experience and not being any more even handed than you're suggesting others who like them are.
Friedman DS40, Marshall 6101, 401, RedPlate Phoenix, Splawn Street Rod, Budda SD18
Old 02-16-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpino View Post
The Pro 16 has 2x 1-star reviews on Sweetwater.com out of 5. I’d urge you to read them. This is not a skewed sample size either, check youtube/other music retailer reviews, same thing.

These units were rushed. How do we know this? They have compromised wobbly connections/components, can develop a rattle, and some even have a permanent high hiss.

If I had to have a stick PA, hands down the EV Evolve 30M or EV Evolve 50M are a much more reliable choice. Or the Fishman SA for portability. But by all means, keep drinking that $1800 Bose koolaid.
May I suggest you start your own thread (respectfully) about the struggles you have experienced so others will see that and chime in. Especially if it's with the Bose L1 Pro16. They may have a different set of challenges than the L1 Pro8, which is really the point of this thread.

I have had a good experience so far with the Pro8 I have. I really do believe your experience and input is valid and deserves its own thread. It will be easier for others to identify with and comment on.

I hope mine stays reliable. I gigged it yesterday at a winery outdoors on a very windy day. The connection of the tower remained solid.
Martin D-18 (2015)
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 02-16-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

Great idea Groberts! For those who might find it useful, I started a Pro16 thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=607310
Old 02-17-2021, 01:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Great idea Groberts! For those who might find it useful, I started a Pro16 thread
Thanks for doing that Chris. Bose L1 Pro16
Old 02-17-2021, 05:39 AM
Charter Member

Here is a question for the Pro8 users and applies mostly when using a mixer
in the Bose world.

The original L1 series mainly used TRS rather than XLR to couple devices.
The S1 added combo jacks that used both, but I usually find that the XLRs
are too hot and prefer TRS.

The Pro8 now has an XLR DI out. Has it moved to a more traditional
setup like QSC, Yamaha...where I can run XLR out of my Mackie mixer
to the Pro8 without it being too hot, and DI out XLR from the Pro8 to
a Yamaha DBR10 or QSC K8.2 without having gain problems?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:54 PM

My experience with the Pro 8 has been nothing but positive. Mainly using it in my music room (since I'm not gigging right now).

I use it almost every day... Love the amplified sound of my guitars. Plus my vocals are silky smooth with mic straight in and using a little verb and tonematch.

This is a huge upgrade from the L1 Compact. I never once thought about returning it. It's a keeper!
Old 01-25-2022, 06:32 PM

Hey wanted to bump this up. I have a chance to obtain a L1PRO8 for a good deal. Is the honeymoon still on? I have a borrowed L1 compact that works well with acoustic events. Love that quick set up. Are we still feeling it's a big upgrade?
Old 01-25-2022, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman21 View Post
Hey wanted to bump this up. I have a chance to obtain a L1PRO8 for a good deal. Is the honeymoon still on? I have a borrowed L1 compact that works well with acoustic events. Love that quick set up. Are we still feeling it's a big upgrade?
For me the answer is yes big upgrade. I bought a second L1 Pro8. The pair is mind blowing. I donít bring the second one if I donít need it
However. But amazing with my duo and band.
Martin D-18 (2015)
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-26-2022, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I purchased a Pro8 a couple of months ago and have no regrets. I have used
it solo and in a Duo. I liked it so much that I got a T4S to have to the TM
single interface....I almost always use a mixer ; since I am a sitter.

The Pro8 performs well enough that I do not miss using my L1m2 (which I
I still have). To me, the Pro8 is a huge improvement over the L1 Compact.
The Pro8 sounds so much better than the S1 to me, that I cannot see
much reason to use the S1 unless I am outside in an iffy environment or
need battery power. I will leave my signature on the post so you can see
my associated gear.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack 2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC 2001 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele/Angel
Bose L1 mod2, Bose Pro8, Bose S1 Pro, QSC K8.2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification