The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-28-2022, 02:01 PM

Default Mesh WiFi Options

Two months ago, my ISP was due to renewal, and I was told that my 100/100 plan was no longer available (options were 50/50, 250/250, 1000/1000). Downgrading wasn't an option, and the price difference between 250 and 1000 was $10, so I went with the gigabit service. Installation completed in November, and ethernet speeds are 940/940.

However, my old wifi network needed to be replaced, so I've spent the last two months trying different wifi 6 mesh solutions with inconsistent results. Eero Pro 6 had much slower wireless speeds (100-200/100-200), and the connection degraded further in my backyard.

Orbi 850 system (similar to Eero; wifi 6, one router, two satellites). Speeds doubled, but still a fraction of my wired speed, although my download speed was much lower than the upload. Their support guaranteed I should get 700-800 anywhere in my house, so I spent the last month on the phone, email, reading online, adjusting settings, downloading beta firmware. No improvement, and after the time spent and lost, I decided to give up on the Orbi and return it (still need to get refunded for additional paid subscription services).

Asus XT8 (wifi 6; comes with two components, which can act as router or satellite; easy to add more nodes). I'm getting the same speeds out of the box, which implies that my Orbi time was wasted, and I've been able to successfully add three more nodes to provide better speed in close proximity without creating more conflicts.

I'm reasonably satisfied now, although I'm still a little baffled why my download speeds are 50% of the upload, on top of only getting 30-60% of my wired ethernet speed. I realize that wireless speeds will always be slower, but it's still annoying, especially at these price points (Orbi was $999; Asus is slightly more with 5 nodes). And it happens on almost all of my devices, so I'm convinced it's network interference (I live in suburbia), the layout of my house, router/satellite placement, or some other factors (likely a combination of these factors).

I thought I'd share, in case others are going through similar or considering upgrading to a mesh wifi solution. It's definitely not a perfect solution, but probably the best option for a large house that requires consistent wifi throughout. And if anyone is familiar with the Asus XT8 and has any ideas on how to improve the download speed to match the upload speed, I'm open to suggestions!
Old 01-28-2022, 08:20 PM

Are the client devices you are testing from 802.11ax capable? How dense is the area where you live, do you get witless interference from neighbors?
2014 Epiphone Les Paul Junior - sold
Old 01-29-2022, 01:18 AM

It's mostly a variety of Apple devices (Macs, iPhones, iPads, Watches, Apple TVs; none are more than a few years old), plus a few home devices (garage door, pool robot, SensorPush; all are 2.4Ghz devices).

It's suburbia, and I'm in the middle of my block, so I've got houses on all sides. When I click on my available wifi networks in proximity, there are a dozen showing at any given time, so I'm sure they are providing some level of interference.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:54 AM

I've been partial to Ubiquiti SOHO brand Amplifi. Ubiquiti parent company makes enterprise gear that's easy to manage. Their radio performance has been really strong, patching has been timely, and they've had band steering some other popular brands have had.

The nature of the Amplifi "mesh points" might be attractive for many. First it's just plug in the wall, but the way the antennas turn make it easy to tune signal over some alternatives. As good as that is, see my comments on WiFi 6.

If one can afford it, Cisco's Meraki is the best but some of or execs who used to have Cisco in their homes have been happy with the Amplifi.

At this point I would consider the additional cost of a WiFi 6 system and especially in locations where there's a lot of WiFi broadcasting. Some who've needed mesh in the past seem happy with single Amplifi WiFi 6.

Quite a few of our staff who thought they had ISP problems learned it was the craptacular stuff they had in their homes or provided by their ISP.

FYI, as much as I'm an enterprise network engineer, I'm fine with the simplicity of the Amplifi product. Some people want stuff with more granular options. The all important band steering and traffic shaping options are there.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:00 AM

Default very timely

I just added a mesh system 2 weeks ago. I've had a Netgear modem/router combo for about 7 years. It has been ok until about 2 years ago as I was adding new wifi devices, cameras, thermostat, more users using tablets etc. I was experiencing buffering on YT and most all Prime videos.

I really didn't want to start over as a mesh system only needs a cable hook up to a modem. So, I knew the Netgear combo would be in interference competition with the wifi generated by the new mesh. I looked at my Netgear closely and saw a small push button that disables the wifi and now becomes a modem only. The very next day while shopping at Costco I see a Google 4 pack wifi mesh kit. I went home after and did some research and the Google wifi has some excellent reviews.

Since I have a Google account and smart phone, I decided to get the 4 pack. Setup and install is very easy. Plug and play with a photo of the QR code on each unit. After placement of each "point" the system self-checks and is viewable on the Home app. My wifi worries are done.

I pay for 400 down and 10 up from Comcast. Before the mesh was configured, I was lucky to get 15/20 down anywhere in the house. I now get nearly 350 down everywhere. Some older devices only get 100 down but that is not because of the new mesh.

I can't rave enough about this new wifi. 4 pack $229.00 at the big C warehouse

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic