The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 12:28 PM

Default Confessions of a non-humidifier

I don't humidify (or de-humidify) my guitars--there I said it, and I feel good for getting it off my chest, LOL.

I leave all my guitars out on stands or wall hangers, and I'm guessing the humidity gets down fairly low in winter, with the central heating on. I'm not sure about humidity on the upper end, here in East Tennessee.

I basically don't buy expensive (non-budget) acoustics, partly based on the fact that I am not going to control humidity.

My main guitar is a The Loar LO-16. I got it used from Guitar Center, so I've no idea how it was kept before I got it, but I've had it four or five years. I check it frequently for humidity-related damage, mostly by running my fingernail along the back edge of the bridge to see if it is starting to lift. I think it is the same as when I got it, but I am a little suspicious that my fingernail can get ever-so-slightly under the bridge now, but I'm not sure.

My other acoustic that might get damaged is an Alvarez baritone (I think it's called an ABT610E) that I got as a Stupid Deal Of The Day about a year ago. It seems the same as when I got it; I don't play it much.

Other acoustics that I have that are hopefully less vulnerable to humidity are a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit resonator (laminated wood body) and a Yamaha Silent Guitar (no body!). So they could still be affected, but probably only the neck.

Strangely, the guitar that has been most affected by humidity is my G & L Tribute Tele, which developed fret sprout, which I had fixed by a tech.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has first-hand experience of keeping guitars in non-humidity-controlled environments: which guitars have fared better / worse?

I'm also interested in anecdotal data, e.g. brands that generally hold up well, or brands to generally avoid. I'm guessing that overbuilt guitars generally hold up better, and lightly built guitars generally do not.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
I don't humidify (or de-humidify) my guitars--there I said it, and I feel good for getting it off my chest, LOL.

I leave all my guitars out on stands or wall hangers, and I'm guessing the humidity gets down fairly low in winter, with the central heating on. I'm not sure about humidity on the upper end, here in East Tennessee.

I basically don't buy expensive (non-budget) acoustics, partly based on the fact that I am not going to control humidity.

My main guitar is a The Loar LO-16. I got it used from Guitar Center, so I've no idea how it was kept before I got it, but I've had it four or five years. I check it frequently for humidity-related damage, mostly by running my fingernail along the back edge of the bridge to see if it is starting to lift. I think it is the same as when I got it, but I am a little suspicious that my fingernail can get ever-so-slightly under the bridge now, but I'm not sure.

My other acoustic that might get damaged is an Alvarez baritone (I think it's called an ABT610E) that I got as a Stupid Deal Of The Day about a year ago. It seems the same as when I got it; I don't play it much.

Other acoustics that I have that are hopefully less vulnerable to humidity are a Gretsch Alligator Biscuit resonator (laminated wood body) and a Yamaha Silent Guitar (no body!). So they could still be affected, but probably only the neck.

Strangely, the guitar that has been most affected by humidity is my G & L Tribute Tele, which developed fret sprout, which I had fixed by a tech.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who has first-hand experience of keeping guitars in non-humidity-controlled environments: which guitars have fared better / worse?

I'm also interested in anecdotal data, e.g. brands that generally hold up well, or brands to generally avoid. I'm guessing that overbuilt guitars generally hold up better, and lightly built guitars generally do not.

Thank you for saying that. Neither do I
I like in the south West of the UK
We have rain - lots of rain and central heating and wood fires.
My guitars hang on the wall mostly all year round
Expensive all wood ones and cheaper laminates. Size by side.
Occasionally the tuning changes a bit but then I expect to retune every time I play.
Maybe I've been lucky but no problems over the years
Old 11-22-2019, 12:35 PM

I don't either and mine hang on the wall year-round - don't normally need to worry. I've mentioned it before in a similar thread - my house is very stable from a humidity point of view. Always between 45 & 55. Rarely ever need to retune.

Until this morning - walked into my office and it was 42%. AAAGHH PANIC STATIONS!!!

Put a wet towel over the radiator. Got back to 49% within 30 mins and it's still there now 12 hours later. Job done

Last edited by RalphH; 11-22-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:

ha! Such a bold proclamation has rarely been seen here on the AGF....
LOL!

With the (non-budget) guitars. I can understand that.. would you change your behavior if a $5,000 Gibson came home with you? would this alter your behavior? Asking for a friend..

I guess I Would consider it odd that the electric had the issue before the acoustics. then again, have you had anything checked for things like sunken top, loose braces etc? it's possible they are in play, and perhaps you're just not seeing/noticing?

My bud has a black Tak acoustic, he never noticed that his top was caving in until I asked him if he noticed it one day last winter. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I should get a humidifier huh?" he paid $225 for the guitar, I told him I wouldn't be losing a of minute sleep over it, but, ya,, maybe?

I don't humidify the electrics, I do the acoustics. I do keep em cased when not being played. I feel that I have too much money invested in these things to not take some precautions.

Guys like me only get to buy SJ200s once. It's not my only high end acoustic, or electric, but it's the one I spent more money then I ever imagined I would..
Old 11-22-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
would you change your behavior if a $5,000 Gibson came home with you? would this alter your behavior?
Yes, I would humidify it and monitor the level, there's no way I would take a chance with a guitar of that value. I used to own a Martin D15M, and I did keep it humidified with one of those in-case humidifiers, monitoring with a hygrometer. But the guitar gave me shoulder trouble, so I never played it, so I came to resent having to maintain the stupid thing, LOL. I sold the guitar when I had to move across country.

If I ever spend a lot of money on an acoustic, I'll probably go for a carbon fiber one. I'm not "sold" on either the sound or the looks of them, based on extremely limited first-hand experience, but even if I ended up viewing a carbon fiber guitar as a lesser instrument, I'd probably still rather have one than risk damaging an expensive wooden one... I haven't put a lot of thought into this, so I might change my mind over time, e.g. if I happened to play an expensive wood guitar and it really did it for me, but I've played a few expensive guitars (just the usual ones in Guitar Center and Sam Ash), and they didn't really speak to me.

Quote:
have you had anything checked for things like sunken top, loose braces etc? it's possible they are in play, and perhaps you're just not seeing/noticing?
I just do a quick visual and "feel" check whenever I pick up a guitar to play, but I don't do any close inspection.

Quote:
My bud has a black Tak acoustic, he never noticed that his top was caving in until I asked him if he noticed it one day last winter. He just shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I should get a humidifier huh?" he paid $225 for the guitar, I told him I wouldn't be losing a of minute sleep over it, but, ya,, maybe?
I'd probably be about the same. One thing I have in mind is that if I notice the bridge lifting then I'll keep the guitar tuned down a step or half step, which I'm assuming would help.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
ha! Such a bold proclamation has rarely been seen here on the AGF....
LOL!

With the (non-budget) guitars. I can understand that.. would you change your behavior if a $5,000 Gibson came home with you? would this alter your behavior? Asking for a friend..

Well the sticker price on my hummingbird is $5049... so yes, I would do exactly what I did... ie be all blase about and boast all over the forum that I don't need to humidify... until I see 42% one morning, then scream and go and get a wet towel to hang on the radiator. That'll teach me for trusting too much in my magic 'always about 50%' house)

Last edited by RalphH; 11-22-2019 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 01:49 PM

I hear humidity should be between 40% and 60%. I think that it's not the level but how consistent you can keep through out the year. And it is much easier to attempt to keep it between 40% and 60% then at one extreme or the other.

I have 2 older acoustics that have never been treated to the benefits of humidity control. They are unplayable today. They can be repaired but it would cost more then they are worth. Perfect to learn some luthier skills on.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 11-22-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:

My name is John and I'm a guitar abuser - there I've said it.

In Atlanta, during winter the humidity will swing under 20%, but only for a few hours before it heads back up over 30. I have a humidifier I turn on when I remember to, but for the 18 years I've lived here, I haven't much obsessed about it.
More than 10 years ago, I did have a Taylor 312 that developed a split in the glue join of the back. Dunno if it was the tech who got p*ssed at me, the second tech who might have done it during a re-fret, or the fact that I left it out on a stand with the sun hitting it most of the day.

In any event I keep my Larrivee/Taylor harem out 24/7 because I like having them out to pick up when I want. I don't think the swings in humidity have hurt them as I notice that all stay in really good tune within 5 cents or so when I check daily. The Taylor I've had for 3 years had some lifting of the saddle when I bought it used, but that's been stable since I've owned it. The small bodied Larrivee's are perfect.

Thanks, it feels good to get that off my chest . . .
Old 11-22-2019, 01:51 PM

I only humidify my Martin Grand J12-40E Special - everything else lives on stands in my living room.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-22-2019, 02:15 PM

I humidify all my guitars. I've never experienced humidity related damage but then I've always humidified. I learned from the experience of a friend who has a vintage Guild that had the top crack on him when he moved from Miami to Minneapolis in the winter. I leave my guitars out in the summer and some times the humidity in the house will get up to 60% but I will not leave them un-humidified in the winter in Iowa. My house gets down in the 20s at times. The most expensive guitar I have is my new Taylor 712CE with the cheapest two being 600.00 dollar Alvarezes. The Alvarezes are both all solid wood and in my opinion very fine guitars so I treat them as such regardless of price. I also have two other Taylors, a 414CE-R and a 516CE. For me they are all expensive and precious.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:55 PM

I monitor the humidity but don't control it and it has never fell below 40. I leave all my guitars out with no issues.

The most expensive guitar I have owned was a 1994 Taylor 912C that never saw a controlled environment. I did keep it primarily in it's case though,(with no humidifier), and it spent years in New York and North Carolina. When I sold it in 2017 I never had to adjust the truss rod, and the action was the same as day 1.
Old 11-22-2019, 03:10 PM

My oldest, my 10 year old 2009 Takamine (Solid spruce top, hog laminate back and sides) has never been in a case and has spent it's entire life on the guitar stand in my living room. Never an issue. Not buzzing, cracks or anything. I'm afraid if it was in the case I wouldn't play it as much.

I've only had my Martin 6 months and so far no case storage. Sits on it's stand right next to the Tak.

I guess I'm lucky in Florida, because the house usually maintains between 45%-55% RH, per my hydrometer and HVAC thermostat. The only exception is the hurricane we had last year where we were without electricity for 2 days... humidity was 80%+....
IG: @mikehasbourbonandguitars
Old 11-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
Well the sticker price on my hummingbird is $5049... so yes, I would do exactly what I did... ie be all blase about and boast all over the forum that I don't need to humidify... until I see 42% one morning, then scream and go and get a wet towel to hang on the radiator. That'll teach me for trusting too much in my magic 'always about 50%' house)

Sorry,
42% huh...
My guitars sit in stands and have been in stands for years.
The humidity in my house is generally 45-50% but it has gotten as low as 35% and as high as 60% for very short periods, as in days.
I have never humidified my guitars. They’re fine.
That’s it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-22-2019, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Hi neighbor, North East TN here.

I keep'em in cases with humidifiers this time of year. We heat with wood when it gets cold. I keep a meter in my guitar room and one in my basement shop where I work on guitars.

There's enough movement from summer to now to warrant a truss rod adjustment. And, the one that's usually on a hanger in the living room is in a case with a humidifier this time of year.

Too much money (by my numbers) to chance it. And too much time in the one I built to chance that one.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:30 PM

I didn't humidify my guitars, including an HD-28, for years. Never had a crack or other catastrophic failure and didn't worry about it. I got away with it. Then I heard about "fret sprout", and realized, yeah, those fret ends are sharp! They are much more pleasant now that the guitar is humidified.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion