The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2019, 10:18 AM

Another vote for the Shubb here. I've used lots of different capos and for the money (usually under $20) you just cannot beat the Shubb.

Last edited by 619TF; 11-20-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

I've got a G7th and a Shubb.

Shubb is cheaper.

I like the Shubb better. G7th seems kind of bulky and I always feel like I'm going to knock it out of whack with my fretting hand. The Shubb is a simple, elegant design. I saw Verlon Thompson using one on his TV show. If it's good enough for him......
Old 11-20-2019, 10:48 AM

There is correctly a lot of personal preference and available options in capos. I primarily use the Thalia with the larger pads which for me keep a very true tone. I also use a G7th Heritage which also works well. The Heritage is quite small and light which I believe was the OP's question.

Many more out there that work just fine.
Guild F-512
Yamaha FG-200
Old 11-20-2019, 11:04 AM

I love my Thalias Have 2. I keep one with the nylon tuning pad, the other I swtich off depending on what steel string I'm using (Taylor Grand Symphony jumbo, or SJ200)

they are heavily built tho

I have an NS and some keysers, they all do a good job but my ears tell me the Thalia keeps the tightest tuning.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:51 AM

I'm a Thalia fan and have several. I've switched all to the teflon inserts as I like the tone it produces. I understand that, to most, they might be a little heavy and might require more hand strength for placement than other types, but neither of those is an issue for me (at least now). A little pricey, but they are gorgeous.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 11-20-2019, 12:06 PM

Another vote for Planet Waves NS. Small (unobtrusive), cheap, works very well. There are a couple of iterations.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
Planet Waves NS pro. Small, discrete, works super well and can be stored on nut when not in use. Probably the best all round capo I have, and I have several.
This is my favorite...
Old 11-20-2019, 12:07 PM

I love the G7th. I had a Thalia and it didn't work very well for me with any of the different ends.

I think the Performance 3 is a solid investment. It's light and fits any guitar with the ART on it. Although I find I have to push it down pretty hard.

I also think it's awesome they have a capo to fight human trafficking: https://www.g7th.com/performance-3-s...pecial-edition
Old 11-20-2019, 12:13 PM

Having run a studio, I've acquired a lifetime supply of picks and tuners and capos of all sorts. I have no idea what brand most of these capos are. But there's one I like a lot because it has a very square end, it doesn't round off. So I can scoot it one string over and capo all the strings except for the low E and it doesn't interfere with the un-capoed string. So I can capo up two frets, say, and do a Drop-D (but a step higher) without having to retune.

Couch Standards
Old 11-20-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Having run a studio, I've acquired a lifetime supply of picks and tuners and capos of all sorts. I have no idea what brand most of these capos are. But there's one I like a lot because it has a very square end, it doesn't round off. So I can scoot it one string over and capo all the strings except for the low E and it doesn't interfere with the un-capoed string. So I can capo up two frets, say, and do a Drop-D (but a step higher) without having to retune.
Old 11-20-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I never bothered to look at them closely, just threw them in a box in case someone suddenly wanted it back a year later (which has happened). When I moved out of the studio the box wound up on a shelf. Somewhere.

Couch Standards
Old 11-20-2019, 12:40 PM

I have a number of capos - G7th Heritage, G7th Performance (original), Paige (standard, 12-string, banjo, and banjo clik), NS Lite (don’t buy!), NS Tri-Action (clamp behind the neck version), Shubb, old elastic contraptions, and the one that gets me every time is the G7th UltraLight. The design is so simple and satisfying. If you want low-profile, this is the way to go. It’s cheap. And I like Nick - I want him to have my money!
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 11-20-2019, 01:01 PM

I ordered the Elliot Elite. Should be at more door later this week.

I have both a Shubb and Kyser, and neither wowed me, hopefully the Elliot will do it. (Especially because of the price.)

Last edited by scotly50; 11-20-2019 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM

Shubb Deluxe capos are my favorites, and I also have one in every case pocket. Since they never wear out, I still have the first Shubb I ever bought - I had to replace the black silicone rubber on that one, but the capo itself still works fine.

I also have a couple of Shubb FT (Fine Tune) stirrup-style capos, and a John Pearse Ol’ Reliable, which is a beefier brass version of the stirrup style.

But 99% of the time - particularly in performance, where every second counts - I use a Shubb Deluxe or a Shubb Capo Noir. Which has the same roller wheel as the Shubb Deluxe and is equally smooth in operation. (The older, pre-roller wheel Shubbs I own are in the case pockets of the guitars that I generally don’t use onstage.)

Using a Shubb onstage isn’t quite as fast as using a Kyser capo one handed, as I’ve seen lots of Kyser capo fans doing, and you can’t store a Shubb up above the nut like I’ve seen both Kyser and stirrup-style capo users doing.

But frankly, I’ve never been satisfied with storing ANY capo up above the nut. Why? Because if you tighten the capo enough to keep it from moving around up there when you’re playing, it makes all of the strings go slightly sharp.

The other (and most important) reason that I prefer Shubb capos is that they mess up the tuning less than any other capo I’ve used. I hate having the strings go sharp when I use a capo, and that effect is minimized the most when using a Shubb.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-20-2019, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Shubb and G7 Deluxe.

The G7 is my go-to about 80% of the time, esp when onstage. But the Shubb is great when you really need to grip down on a certain fret.

Both built like a brick -- well, you know.

memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion