The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 03:01 PM

Sounds fantastic but doesn't sound like a J45 to me. Always thought Eastman's had their own particular tone.
Old 05-25-2019, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Godfather: The pleasure is all mine. I fell for this song hook-line-and-sinker the first time I saw Goodman perform it and have pursued mastering it like madman for more than three decades. I've practiced that last run well over 10,000 times through the years and STILL can't get it right most times. Ah me.

BTW, I had never heard of Eastman till about five years ago, when I joined this forum. It turned out a good buddy of mine was selling a really clean used one. Wow wow wow. A good Eastman is, in my book, as good as any Taylor, Martin or Collings out there. I'm still Jonesing for a genuine Gibson J-45, although I can't a new one sounding or feeling any better than the Eastie. My dream is to purchase a genuine Banner J-45 (1942-1945) for myself as a retirement gift.

Thanks again for the kind words. I'm humbled that this vid has touched so many years. A song filled with such aching compassion and understanding.

scott memmer
If its a J-45 you desire, and you have the means, don't wait. We never know what tomorrow will bring, or if there will be a tomorrow for that matter.

I heard Steve Goodman play The Dutchman back in the mid 70’s. I wept. Still today, I have to fight back the tears. Your rendition is one of the best I have ever heard. I wished I had the talent (and time) to even begin to learn it.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 05-25-2019, 10:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
If its a J-45 you desire, and you have the means, don't wait. We never know what tomorrow will bring, or if there will be a tomorrow for that matter.

I heard Steve Goodman play The Dutchman back in the mid 70’s. I wept. Still today, I have to fight back the tears. Your rendition is one of the best I have ever heard. I wished I had the talent (and time) to even begin to learn it.
No offense to anyone, especially fellow Goodman fans, but this is my fave below. Although it's on YT, this is audio track only. As far as I know, the video for this has never been shown.

Perhaps the reason I love this version so much, besides being performed live by Michael Smith himself, is because it is so slowed down and mournful. In this case the mood is correct. This is the live version Michael performed at the end of the tribute concert for Steve at McCormick Place, after Steve died.

If you've never heard this live performance, it's a classic. John Prine kinda hosts, but it also has Bromberg, Bonnie Raitt, Arlo, Richie Havens, The Dirt Band, John Hartford, Jethro, and other greats. I seem to recall it may have been nominated for a Grammy.

https://www.amazon.com/Tribute-Steve.../dp/B000000DLZ

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 05-25-2019 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 AM

That guitar sounds great. I can see why the original owner regrets selling it. I don't see many Eastman guitars at jams, but I definitely see and hear quite a few Eastman mandolins and they sound good. I've flirted with the idea of getting one someday.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
That guitar sounds great. I can see why the original owner regrets selling it. I don't see many Eastman guitars at jams, but I definitely see and hear quite a few Eastman mandolins and they sound good. I've flirted with the idea of getting one someday.
If you get a good one, you'll likely hang onto it for a while. Mine is a keeper for life.

sm
Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 PM

Scott, I’ve listened to your video, and your Eastman E10SS, numerous times and it never fails to move me. Bravo!

I’m up to three Eastmans as of today, as I just brought home one of the new E10SS models with the ebony bridge and fingerboard, as well as what appears to be a Tortoloid (Mario Proulx?) pickguard and some nice cosmetic details around the rosette and stuff. I had gone looking to try an E10SS a while ago and ended up bringing home an E10D in February, which also sounds great. It’s louder and boomier than the SS, which I enjoy for certain songs and situations. My third Eastman is an E6OM that I tried on a whim while shopping for electric guitars. It blew me away how good it sounded, so I went back the next day and grabbed it. I also used to own an E10OM, but I traded it off for a Strat which I ended up selling, anyway. In hindsight, I’d rather have the Eastman. Overall, I have been very pleased with “the Eastman sound”.

After getting my E10D, I figured I’d be ok without the E10SS and I was contemplating a 000-18, so had been out trying them at a couple of stores here in Toronto. When I went into the 12th Fret, which carries lots of amazing high end stuff, there was a new batch of Eastman guitars, including the E10SS I bought today. I figured I’d check it out, even though I was looking at 000-18s. Well, the 000-18 didn’t convince me, but the Eastman wouldn’t get out of my head, even after three visits, so today it came home.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

jdto, you're not alone. I've assembled a small army of Eastman guitars over the last 2-3 years. One member calls it my "virtual store," ha! I love their sound, and their build quality has become really good (and more consistent) over the last 4-5 years. And each of your guitars has its own voice (dread, slope, and OM).
Old 05-30-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
jdto, you're not alone. I've assembled a small army of Eastman guitars over the last 2-3 years. One member calls it my "virtual store," ha! I love their sound, and their build quality has become really good (and more consistent) over the last 4-5 years. And each of your guitars has its own voice (dread, slope, and OM).
They really seem to keep getting better, don't they? My collection seems to have gravitated toward the mahogany versions, no matter which body shape I get, although there is an E40D there that sounds really great. It's also beautiful. I don't have any rosewood guitars yet...
Old 06-02-2019, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
They really seem to keep getting better, don't they? My collection seems to have gravitated toward the mahogany versions, no matter which body shape I get, although there is an E40D there that sounds really great. It's also beautiful. I don't have any rosewood guitars yet...
Vida, as you know, I acquired an Eastie OM-40 last year. Wow wow wow.

That being said, I was at an acoustic jam last night, and I keep returning again again to my E-10SS. It's just so dang VERSATILE. It's a monster fingerstyle guitar, with phenomenal pop and snap when you need it; then turn right around and play it straight with a flatpick and it also shines. Just amazing.

I love love love my HD-28 and could never imagine parting with it, but it mostly sits at home these days. The Eastman really stomps it when it comes to fingerstyle.

I should also mention that I bought a very nice Blueridge BR-160 over the holidays. It's a good guitar, but not, IMHO, in the same league as the Eastman.

scott memmer
Old 06-02-2019, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I knew about the E40OM (mine just turned 2yo, and it's amazing!). And if I recall correctly, you got a crazy good deal on the BR. If I remember correctly, I looked for the same deal, but the inventory was gone (not that I needed another guitar). And now you've got me inspired... heading to the music room to play my E10SS/v. Cheers!
Old 06-11-2019, 10:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Yes, I knew about the E40OM (mine just turned 2yo, and it's amazing!). And if I recall correctly, you got a crazy good deal on the BR. If I remember correctly, I looked for the same deal, but the inventory was gone (not that I needed another guitar). And now you've got me inspired... heading to the music room to play my E10SS/v. Cheers!
Yes, PV, at the time the MAP pricing was $1599. And it was the 160A, with the Adi top. Amazon had it for a tick over $900, with free freight, and it came in the box with this gorgeous leather gig bag. Then I noticed there was a tiny imperfection in the neck joint, so I sent them a JPG and they knocked another $100 off.

What I don't understand is why Blueridge did this. A smart vendor only does this when they are discontinuing an older model, but it looks like it's still in the line. This creates an artificially low price point, so they can no longer get the $1599. If this is what they did, it's a very short-term way of doing business and not very bright. The only thing I can think is they were desperate for year-end numbers.

scott memmer
Old 06-11-2019, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Some weird things happen with Amazon pricing. I once got a Seagull all-mahogany dread for $197... placed the order, and hit refresh, and the price jumped to $599. No explanation, but happy to land the deal.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Some weird things happen with Amazon pricing. I once got a Seagull all-mahogany dread for $197... placed the order, and hit refresh, and the price jumped to $599. No explanation, but happy to land the deal.
You're right, Vida. However, in this case, this must have been an official price drop from Blueridge for the holidays or something. It was on a LOT of websites for the same price as Amazon, or a few bucks more.

But yeah, Amazon is such a huge company. I think sometimes their buyers just make mistakes, but to their credit they seem to always stand by their pricing errors.

A couple years back I got a hunk of brand-new DuPont Vespel from them that we use to make our brown picks (same material as Blue Chip), and they had that sucker for half of wholesale. It HAD to be a mistake because DuPont does not give ANYONE a discount, unless you're name is Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

That's an incredible deal on that Seagull. They do nice work. Do you still have it?

Always great talking to you, my friend,

scott
Old 06-11-2019, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Nope. Sold it locally for a reasonable profit.... it was no risk on the purchase, and it showed me that I prefer something smaller than a dread for a Mahogany top. I remember hearing about your BR deal and jumping on it, but it was too late.

Yep, always good to chat with you too.

Brian (aka Pura Vida)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Default Eastman production problems

Hi,
In your post you mentioned that Eastman has overcome their earlier production problems... I'm considering buying a used Eastman AJ815 (a small jumbo) which is a discontinued model. It does have a problem with the neck which has a dip near where the neck meets the body, but it sounds absolutely gorgeous. It has a solid spruce top and solid maple back and sides with an arched back which gives it more volume. I have it on layaway now, and I don't know what year it was made. I'm wondering if it was made during the time they were having production problems. I had the action lowered a little just using the truss rod and it seems very playable just as it is. But anyway, could you tell me when their production improved?
Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion