The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
The intent was clarified a few posts into the thread. I see so many basic standard pieces played identically by many people on youtube. I really don't care if someone does it. I was just curious as to why. Many replied with a lot of good reasons that I had not thought of. Some got torked off and thought it was a veiled criticism.

I am not sure anyone can ask a question here without someone thinking it is condescending.
Not really a fair point IMO. This place is full of questions about almost every aspect of guitar playing and building, and almost none of the questions asked are condescending, rather they are questions from people searching for useful knowledge from experts. Those questions are answered in an amazing manner, making this a great place to find knowledge.

I think when an advanced player asks a question about why other (and presumably less skilled) players do something the way they do, it's going to be hard to see that as a genuine search for knowledge.

It's hard to see how an experienced player can't figure out why people do covers and post them to YouTube. Every musician I've ever known has done covers, particularly early in their careers, and shared them with others. That's all there is to it.

I don't know who got "torqued off" but I'm simply responding to you directly about how I felt your question came off. Just speaking plainly, and not trying to be rude, but am being direct.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgadi View Post
I don't know who got "torqued off" but I'm simply responding to you directly about how I felt your question came off. Just speaking plainly, and not trying to be rude, but am being direct.
If you read the entire thread, you will know what was intended. I have no need to be condescending to anyone.

Best Regards -
Christian
Old 12-23-2009, 05:16 PM

This calls for-

Old 02-24-2010, 03:40 PM

There is nothing I like better than to hear a really good cover of a song I know well. Lots of good cover artists on you tube. Wish I was good to do a cover of a song and put it on you tube.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:33 PM

As for why people post themselves doing covers on youtube, I think it's for the same reason people play covers when they're sitting around a campfire-- it's just a larger potential audience.
As for why people post themselves doing covers without any significant originality added in, that's a mystery to me, too. I figure it comes from that feeling of stepping into your hero's shoes for a few minutes, more than walking around in your own. We all have a little bit of that, and it is a very attractive feeling. When I was kid, I used to pretend I was a Beatle when I was alone in my room (okay, I still do).

BTW, I didn't think your question came off condescending at all.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM

Youtube is awesome. The opportunity to learn is incredible. Think of it as a mini recital. JJ Cale wrote 2 of Clapton's greatest hits. Clapton and Cream also covered a bunch of the old bluesmen's songs as has every big artist. The truth is one guy might only have 3 or 4 hits in a lifetime. JJ Cale once said "I am a songwriter, I have a bunch of songs no one wants to hear". Christian do you have any videos posted?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:35 AM

I assume that this forum, like a few others on the net, is supposed to be about acoustic guitar playing in all it's forms and permutations.
This old thread is pretty interesting. Like many threads is morphed back and forth from you tube to artistic considerations of guitar playing.

As for the youtube thing, well, I'm on a dial-up internet connection so I cannot view videos. I have seen them on other folks computers, however.
Seems like a great thing. It may be overused, but what the hey. It's nice having it available. A great promotional tool. The societal implications go far beyond this thread, I'm thinking.

As far as the artistic considerations of guitar playing, I don't think the playing of 'covers' is in any way inferior to playing 'originals'. There are many aspects included in playing any instrument. Freddie Green, Count Basie's great guitarist probably didn't write many tunes, but his contribution to music is great. How about George Harrison? Chet Atkins? Both composed tunes, but their main contribution was playing other people's compostitions.
Is composition the highest form of musical expression? Does one have to consider playing an instrument 'art'? What about the craft involved when playing as a hired player in a band/orchestra or as a studio musician?
Is it this just a guitar thing? Or a rock/pop thing? Jazz players don't seem to have a problem playing standards (aren't they 'covers'?) and the afore-mentioned classical players play almost nothing but 'covers', barring new compositions that they play note-for-note. If one approaches 'Stairway To Heaven' like a jazz musician would - perhaps reharmonizing the piece or playing an alternate melody over the existing changes - would that constitute an artistic approach, or would the musician be castigated for having the gall? Especially if the piece were uploaded to youtube?

I wonder if trumpet players or oboists or drummers are plagued with the stigma of not concentrating on 'original music' if they play something that they didn't compose. Are guitarists special in this regard? Is the skillful playing of an established piece of music in any way inferior to creating a new compostion? I guess in the view of composers the answer would be yes.
Composition - okay, okay, songwriting - has become mighty popular since the rise of the Beatles and Bob Dylan. Seems like many folks who play a guitar view themselves as composers.
Watching youtube or attending jams and gigs by 'original' bands will certainly emphasize the difficulty of composing a good piece of music.

Rev George
Old 03-21-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:

I can understand wanting to get original material out to be seen on the internet, but covers?
Depends upon what you mean by "cover". If you think there is no artistry involved in coming up with a fresh arrangement of a known song, you've much to learn.

No offense intended.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losov View Post
Depends upon what you mean by "cover". If you think there is no artistry involved in coming up with a fresh arrangement of a known song, you've much to learn.

No offense intended.
Someone decided to unearth this old thread?...I don't have any issues with new arrangments. You've much to read (this thread). No offense intended.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSonic View Post
Youtube is awesome. The opportunity to learn is incredible.....Christian do you have any videos posted?
Yet another good reason posted on this thread. If someone is putting a dead copy of a piece on youtube with the intent to help another learn it, I can't argue with that.

To answer your question, no I do not have anything posted on youtube. Any need I may have had to be "seen" is in the past, but, after reading some of the posts on this thread, I may re-evaluate the issue. My wife has put some audio files of my original stuff on the internet from time to time, but I usually have gotten her to remove them. Not sure if there is anything out there now, and better yet, I don't care!

Regards,
Christian
Old 03-22-2010, 12:59 PM

Christian Reno,

I think guitarists are one of two personality-types. One is the entertainer personality-type. This is someone who is motivated to learn songs immediately, and someone who wants others to hear them play. They get a sense of accomplishment from their efforts. But they are primarily motivated to play for others.

The other is the meditation personality-type. This is someone who is drawn to a guitar for its therapeutic qualities. Its a mysterious wooden instrument, capable of expressing unlimited moods, sounds, and songs. This person is more likely to play to entertain himself/herself. And it may not really be best described as entertainment. It might be closer to "self-expression."

I've always thought there are famous musicians and artists who fit both of these descriptions. People can strike it big from either camp. However, I think there are more writers, songwriters, original acts, who come from the second camp. Keep in mind, these don't have to necessarily be "performers." They may be behind-the-scenes songwriters you've never heard of.

As to the YouTube question, my answer to you would be the "majority" of people you've described come from camp 1. Their primary motivation is to entertain others, or to tell the world, "I can do this song."

Without casting judgment, this is fine by me. Either one is fine by me. But I think we should not assume that every person who plays a guitar is motivated to please others. He/she may be content pleasing only themselves. Or, their true happiness may come in the form of creating new songs that someone else actually performs.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
...He/she may be content pleasing only themselves....
Yes, there are a few left. I never intended to judge motives either. I was very interested in hearing them though, and I got to hear a bunch. Your post was very thoughtful.

Thanks - Christian
Old 03-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLSPRIG View Post
Christian Reno,

I think guitarists are one of two personality-types. One is the entertainer personality-type. This is someone who is motivated to learn songs immediately, and someone who wants others to hear them play. They get a sense of accomplishment from their efforts. But they are primarily motivated to play for others.

The other is the meditation personality-type. This is someone who is drawn to a guitar for its therapeutic qualities. Its a mysterious wooden instrument, capable of expressing unlimited moods, sounds, and songs. This person is more likely to play to entertain himself/herself. And it may not really be best described as entertainment. It might be closer to "self-expression."

I've always thought there are famous musicians and artists who fit both of these descriptions. People can strike it big from either camp. However, I think there are more writers, songwriters, original acts, who come from the second camp. Keep in mind, these don't have to necessarily be "performers." They may be behind-the-scenes songwriters you've never heard of.

As to the YouTube question, my answer to you would be the "majority" of people you've described come from camp 1. Their primary motivation is to entertain others, or to tell the world, "I can do this song."

Without casting judgment, this is fine by me. Either one is fine by me. But I think we should not assume that every person who plays a guitar is motivated to please others. He/she may be content pleasing only themselves. Or, their true happiness may come in the form of creating new songs that someone else actually performs.
Great post.

I have not posted on Youtube, but I really enjoy taking songs that most people would never think could be delivered on solo acoustic guitar and coming up with cool arrangements for them. I find this challenging and inspiring.
I like writing songs too, and i'm not bad at it, but I think there is room for both.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:14 AM

I like to play fiddle tunes on my mandolin. A lot of them are somewhat similar. I have a laptop with a web cam and I make a stupid video of me playing the tunes I'm working on. That way, I can go to my YouTube channel, call up a tune, re-aquaint myself with the sound and return to practice.

We can't all learn to read music. . .

Want to see something funny: ffattdad on youtube!

f-d
Old 03-25-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
You've much to read (this thread).
Nah, not gonna read the whole thread, I was only responding to the original post. Didn't notice the date. But I do realize I didn't answer your question, so I will.

In my case, if you look at my channel you'll see it's it's currently devoid of any covers. But you'll also see that I have disabled comments and "star ratings". I'm just not interested in that whole YouTube thing of everyone telling each other they're awesome (when they clearly aren't) and trying to amass high view counts. I can't clear the view counter, so every now and then I take the vids down to reset the counters. So why are they there at all? Several reasons.

I use YT as an adjunct to the CD packages I give to club owners/managers. I reference the channel so they can see me actually performing the songs and so they can be aware that I am, in fact, an old guy and not some young hunk. If that's what they're looking for they can keep looking. I also use it to keep in touch with old friends and band mates from back in the day when we played Skynard in roadhouses, to show them what I'm up to now.

Lastly, it occurred to me that there are many people here giving opinions and advice. Having a couple of videos accessible provides a frame of reference for any advice/opinions I might share so the reader can decide if I know what I'm talking about or not.

So, FWIW, those are my reasons.

Oh! Why covers? They're really more interesting than my originals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD