The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-21-2019, 02:57 PM

Default Nashville Tuning, What Scale is Best?

I put Nashville (high tuning) strings on my unplayable Ovation (see .sig) and it plays OK. This was just an experiment. I like it and it blends well with my other guitar, a Taylor. So what would be the ideal guitar for Nashville tuning? Scale, woods, etc. Money is an object, so under $1k?

Thanks in advance!
~Bob
Old 11-21-2019, 03:37 PM

Check this thread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=467236
Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
I put Nashville (high tuning) strings on my unplayable Ovation (see .sig) and it plays OK. This was just an experiment. I like it and it blends well with my other guitar, a Taylor. So what would be the ideal guitar for Nashville tuning? Scale, woods, etc. Money is an object, so under $1k?

Thanks in advance!
~Bob
I have put several guitars of mine in Nashville - high tuning and they all sounded great. I prefer the John Pearse set of strings since they have a bit beefier gauge than either D'Addarios or GHS sets. I find that you want a guitar with a responsive top. I find that the lighter the guitar is built, the more the lighter gauge strings move the top. (My experience only - there are exceptions to this no doubt).

I owned a Wechter Nashville guitar (25.5" scale) that was cedar/mahogany and it was designed from the ground up to be in high strung tuning. (You might find one used online for about $500 or so). I ended up selling it because I actually liked the sound of my 00 (also just happens to have a cedar top) a bit better with those strings.

Here is a nice rendition of "We Three Kings" beautifully played by Doug Young on his German Spruce/Cocobolo grand concert (25.4" scale) by Kathy Wingert. It sounds quite good to my ears but then it is an accomplished player with a high-end guitar.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 11-21-2019 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Added specs
Old 11-21-2019, 03:58 PM

I think I'll delete my post - Jayne's experience and advice above is way better and more detailed than anything I was going to add!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-21-2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:01 PM

I have a Taylor GS Mini in mahogany that I bought specifically for Nashville tuning, and I like it a lot. It's 23.5" scale.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:36 PM

Some great suggestions and replies! Thanks! I'm going to look into the GS Mini. It's in my price range and I was thinking about short scale.
~Bob
Old 11-21-2019, 06:48 PM

I took my brothers ancient Washburn W2I took my brother’s ancient Washburn W280 and tuned it Nashville and it turned out incredible. Turned normal to Washburn sounded very very tinny next to my Martin. So, I was really surprised by how great it sounded in the Nashville tuning. My brother loved it. Then I added the tonewood amp as a Christmas present and it knocked his socks off.
Old 11-21-2019, 06:50 PM

I took my brothers ancient Washburn W280 and tuned it Nashville and it turned out incredible. Turned normal, the Washburn sounded very very tinny next to my Martin. So, I was really surprised by how great it sounded in the Nashville tuning. My brother loved it. Then I added the tonewood amp as a Christmas present and it knocked his socks off.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think I'll delete my post - Jayne's experience and advice above is way better and more detailed than anything I was going to add!
Jayne knows her stuff, no question about it! Not only that, but she has a generous spirit, which transforms knowledge and experience into wisdom.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-22-2019, 01:11 AM

In addition to the good information already posted, you should be aware that you do NOT need great bass response from the guitar, as the lowest tone will be equivalent to the E on a standard D string (4th string).

So that dread or jumbo with booming bass may not be the best choice. I use an old Gurian which has a sweet midrange but is very light on bass.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 11-22-2019, 06:56 AM

I ordered a Taylor GS Mini-e in Walnut from Elderly so when NGD comes I'll post my first impressions. Thanks everyone!
~Bob
Old 11-22-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
I ordered a Taylor GS Mini-e in Walnut from Elderly so when NGD comes I'll post my first impressions. Thanks everyone!
~Bob
Great. I look forward to your report. I love having one of my guitars Nashville strung. It provides a nice change for my ears and gives me different melody ideas.

Best,
Jayne
Old 04-28-2020, 12:22 PM

This may be obvious to all of you, but I now buy strings for a 12 string guitar: I use the octaves for strings 3-6, and regular for 1-2. Once that is done I have a perfect set for my regularly tuned guitar. Just be sure to check string gauges as you research various string sets.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

I have set up my terz to be Nashville high tuned G-G and it sounds like a completely different (amazing) instrument. I love it.

I am currently having a one of a kind 9 string instrument made to be set up in nashville tuning A-A. It will be remarkable.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmgrrrl View Post
This may be obvious to all of you, but I now buy strings for a 12 string guitar: I use the octaves for strings 3-6, and regular for 1-2. Once that is done I have a perfect set for my regularly tuned guitar. Just be sure to check string gauges as you research various string sets.
Not a bad idea, but you'd really have to pay attention to string gauges. Most 12 string sets are really light.

In my case I wouldn't save much, because I go through a lot more 6-string sets than Nashville tuning sets.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion