The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-22-2016, 09:01 AM

Watching lacquer cure..... Ken says two to three weeks.... All good things come to those who wait.... All good things come to those who wait....

Old 04-22-2016, 09:04 AM

At least it has a friend to "hang out with" while it waiting to cure.....one is the loneliest number that I've ever heard, two can be as bad as one it's the loneliest number since the number one aha"
Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
Watching lacquer cure..... Ken says two to three weeks.... All good things come to those who wait.... All good things come to those who wait....

I get where you're coming from. I find waiting for the finish to cure the toughest part of the build. "Good things come to those who wait." is a fine and most appropriate mantra. I also like "This, too, shall pass."

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
At least it has a friend to "hang out with" while it waiting to cure.....one is the loneliest number that I've ever heard, two can be as bad as one it's the loneliest number since the number one aha"
Agreed about the friend. --- Now for "1"

One Pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small, and the ones your mother gives you don't do anything at all .... Go Ask Alice, When she's ten-feet tall...

And if you go chasing rabbits. And you know you're going to fall....

Sorry for the diversion, had to.

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 04-22-2016, 12:11 PM

Thanks Tom, OMO, and Chris- I hoped I'd get some empathic support. And diversions are a good thing while waiting for lacquer to cure!

beth
Old 04-22-2016, 12:15 PM

I can watch that lacquer cure all day... All we need now is a live feed cam!
Old 04-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I can watch that lacquer cure all day... All we need now is a live feed cam!

The OffGas Cam...

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually
Old 05-09-2016, 10:06 PM

Smile Good things do come to those who wait!

So the lacquer has cured! Ken sent an email and new pictures. He says:

"This evening I spent a couple of hours level sanding the body and the neck and have them ready for buffing. The first thing I do is remove the top layer of tape on the bridge mask, so I can get the lacquer level in the area. I start sanding with a firm sanding block and 800 grit sand paper, then switch to a more flexible pad and 1000 grit paper. I finish up with 1200 grit, which leaves the finish ready for the buffer".

Thanks for following along on this guitar's journey and checking out her "baby pictures"

Beth (for Ken)
Old 05-09-2016, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
So the lacquer has cured! Ken sent an email and new pictures. He says:

"This evening I spent a couple of hours level sanding the body and the neck and have them ready for buffing. The first thing I do is remove the top layer of tape on the bridge mask, so I can get the lacquer level in the area. I start sanding with a firm sanding block and 800 grit sand paper, then switch to a more flexible pad and 1000 grit paper. I finish up with 1200 grit, which leaves the finish ready for the buffer".

Thanks for following along on this guitar's journey and checking out her "baby pictures"

Beth (for Ken)
Beth it's so close now you must be excited! It's going to be a beaut!
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

So...
The water has broken, and labor has begun.
😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Get ready for many sleepless nights sitting up with your baby...
🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-10-2016, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood Knot View Post
So...
The water has broken, and labor has begun.
😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Get ready for many sleepless nights sitting up with your baby...
🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼🍼
C'mon man: They only say that in Alabama! Oh Wait...

JK

Chris

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Yea, Chris...good thing I'm not in Alab...ummm, wait...never mind.
😋

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzard View Post
C'mon man: They only say that in Alabama! Oh Wait...

JK

Chris

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 05-10-2016, 12:35 PM

So the guys are now talking childbirth on the build thread! Well- this is a woman's guitar

My now college sophomore didn't sleep much- so there were many sleepless nights in Southern Cal 20 years ago! And I wouldn't trade those long nights for anything! It will be good to soon have some late nights with this new baby in my life!

Ken says it will be a week or so before the guitar undergoes the buffing process and gets strung up. He has to move and resettle his buffer as it's still in his old workshop. Then it will be a few weeks before I meet her, as I'll be driving out the 2nd week of June to pick her up!

So maybe finished pictures in about a week!

beth
Old 05-15-2016, 09:40 AM

Default A Teaser....

So Ken sent me an email with the subject "Teaser." He moved the buffing machine to his new workshop and had just set it up and a friend called and needed help unloading a truck. Ken's such a nice guy- he helped and that pretty much took care of his day and his back (it seems temporarily). But he did buff out the neck and sent along a few pictures. He says he'll get the body buffed out this week and then it's time to put the guitar together.

The woods on this guitar are so striking- much more so than I realized when Ken and I were talking about it and I chose woods almost two years ago. I'm loving how it's looking. I played a number of Ken's instruments, and they all were so balanced and had a lush tone, so I'm looking forward to hearing this one. It's funny to think of playing this gorgeous guitar, because I think of myself as someone who isn't really noticed when I play. It's part of how I handle the whole playing and singing in front of folks thing. Guess my cover will be blown soon. I think it might be hard not to notice this beautiful instrument!

Thanks for following!

beth (for Ken)

Last edited by mountainguitar; 05-15-2016 at 10:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:00 PM

The back is good! I'm not as good for as many large pieces of furniture and stairs as I used to be, but I can still help!

I'll definitely have the whole guitar buffed out over the next couple of days. I mentioned to Beth earlier that I like to buff then inspect the guitar again the next day under different lighting. This is the same process I use when final sanding prior to shooting lacquer. I almost always find areas that may need some additional work, and it is easier to touch up before the bridge or tuning machines are on.

Yes, this is some very cool wood. I have had it for several years. I have seen a lot of sets of this rosewood, but none as striking as this one. I always knew it would make a gorgeous guitar, but Beth was the first customer to really connect with it. With almost any wood, it can be hard to see how it will look as a finished guitar. How we join the wood and how we accent it with the bindings and other woods all influence what we finally see. This is the fun stage where all that beauty if finally exposed.

I should make good progress this week, and we'll have some photos of the finished guitar on here soon!

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
casper guitar, custom acoustic, grand concert, manzer wedge