The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-20-2019, 05:58 AM

Default Recording Acoustic for Backing Tracks

Greetings

I have a Yamaha C40 and am trying to contact local musicians for jams. In the mean time is there a good way to record myself playing rhythm and playing scales over the top aside for my android phone which has a basic audio camera?

Any advice would be appreciated
Old 04-20-2019, 11:46 AM

You might visit the "RECORD" section here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...splay.php?f=43

There are many ways to record but in order to offer advice we would need a lot more information about you, your gear, your experience, and your budget.

To begin, in addition to your phone do you have a computer or tablet?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 AM

Hi Fran

Just using a Yamaha c40 minimum budget, want to record acoustic with some type of microphone or looping ability to play lead over rhythm.

Have a Lenovo laptop albeit zero experience recording. Not a computer noob fortunately so able to work with software.

Hope that helps will check the link also.

Last edited by Raining Notes; 04-30-2019 at 05:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Hi Fran

Just using a Yamaha c40 minimum budget, want to record acoustic with some type of microphone or looping ability to play lead over rhythm.

Have a Lenovo laptop albeit zero experience recording. Not a computer noob fortunately so able to work with software.

Hope that helps will check the link also.
If you want to record a backing track then play over it you have many simple low cost solutions.

If you want to record what you play over the backing track things get a bit more complicated/expensive.

Assuming you want to overdub you need either a mic, stand, cable, audio interface and software for your computer or a multi-track recorder with built-in mic.

Or you can probably add an external mic and multi-track software to your phone, probably the least expensive way to go.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 05-02-2019, 06:50 AM

Check out Zoom hand held recorders.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raining Notes View Post
Greetings

I have a Yamaha C40 and am trying to contact local musicians for jams. In the mean time is there a good way to record myself playing rhythm and playing scales over the top aside for my android phone which has a basic audio camera?

Any advice would be appreciated
To clarify the "aside for my phone" means "something other than your phone ?

So yes besides being able to use use your phone your laptop would be a reasonable method also .
And as mentioned a stand alone audio recorder like the Zoom is an option also (with some additional gear)

Both the phone and laptop have built in mics and speakers so in theory you could use just them.... BUT both the on board mics and speakers are very minimal sound quality wise.

If your wanting to go beyond that level your are going to some need more equipment and definitely a budget .

In general basic recording 101 terms, you need to get the analog signal off your guitar into a recording medium (usually digital now days)
And you need a way to get digital recorded file back out to analog so you can hear it, to play over...

A mic: either analog or digital. If digital it can be USB direct to computer or direct to phone

If analog you will need some kind of interface to convert the signal to digital for use in the computer

If your want to go beyond the speaker output capability of the phone or computer you will need a way convert the digital signal back to analog again and interface ( usually same one as above ) and some kind of amplification and speakers

There are a number of options and many products to accomplish this......

So the best thing for you to do is decide on what kind of budget range you are willing to commit to this end . And list any recording or sound equipment you currently have (if any) ...... then ask for suggestions

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 05-02-2019, 10:23 AM

I don't know exactly what your budget or expectations are or what equipment you might have on hand, but when I read your post the first thing that came to mind was a looper pedal. For what you mention, even the least expensive could probably serve your needs.

You'd need a pickup or mic for your guitar. The inexpensive (and decent sounding) iRig Acoustic Stage clip in microphone would work. So would a soundhole pickup. And if your guitar has a pickup already, so much the better.

You need the looper pedal.

You need something to amplify what comes out and through the looper and maybe an adapter to hook up from the 1/4 out plug on the looper to that amplification/speaker. Some loopers, or pedals that include looping as a feature, will drive headphones, which would be another option.

What would the advantage of this setup? Well let's say that your briefly stated question means that you want to practice a little chord playing and then practice a little melody/lead playing on top of it in the same practice session. You want to exercise both skills, and you don't want a lot "overhead" in getting to that. You might even want to be interactive in your practice session, as in "Gee that sounded interesting, now what if I use this chord substitution or change something else in the cadence, what would I play over that?" With a looper pedal this sort of thing is natural. You simply record another loop and try your "lead", and the same applies if you don't get the chords right the first time, you just dump it and try again. Having a footswitch makes it's easier to be your own "recording engineer" when you're creating the backing loop on the fly too.

Of course, I may completely misunderstand what you're aiming for too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

Last edited by FrankHudson; 05-03-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2019, 07:40 PM

I use a looper for practice. I have a Ditto Mic looper. I can record a verse or chorus or both and practice soloing over it. I also record a piano with my phone, play and record the recorded piano through the mic and looper and then practice soloing over the piano loop as well.

The nice thing about a looper is that it keeps repeating the recorded part over and over and over again without having to rewind and hit play. It's worth the coin.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Great

Appreciate the input everyone will look into these suggestions

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD