The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:30 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The old Audition Barry seems to have isn't really a "DAW". it's a file editor, and as best I recall, had none of this. It was a pure, simple destructive audio file editor where you do everything directly on the single track it supports. Quite useful for what it did. It's probably time to upgrade :-) Even Reaper would be a big step up. I assume Audacity supports sends and busses as well, but I've never used it.
Ah. I stand corrected. I thought he had some version of a DAW, just not a recent version. Yes, any DAW would almost certainly be a big step up.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-21-2019, 04:46 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,841
Default

OK, I made a quick and dirty demo, partly because I thought it might help Barry, partly because I realized I'd never tried this in Audition, so it was good to check out the workflow there. This isn't likely to be much help to Barry, unfortunately, but this is what everyone is trying to explain, as applied to solo guitar. Just about any DAW made in the past 10 years or so will do this, it's just a matter of where the various buttons are found. (Note that I now have about 5 minutes worth of experience doing this in Audition, so there may be shortcuts or better ways to do things in it.) But Audition 1.5 was basically the old freeware "Cool Edit", maybe 20 years old now? and was never intended to do this kind of thing.

Anyway, hope this is still useful. I was just on a tech support line with a guy who kept telling me to "push the button on the right" and I saw no button on the right. Very frustrating :-) So hopefully this will clarify what people have been telling you to do, even tho you don't have the tools to do it.

I used my stab at your example, Barry. Doesn't really sound like Stephen, but that's how it goes...

__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-21-2019, 05:54 PM
FrankHudson FrankHudson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,566
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
The old Audition Barry seems to have isn't really a "DAW". it's a file editor, and as best I recall, had none of this. It was a pure, simple destructive audio file editor where you do everything directly on the single track it supports. Quite useful for what it did. It's probably time to upgrade :-) Even Reaper would be a big step up. I assume Audacity supports sends and busses as well, but I've never used it.

I was just making a video demo to show Barry how to set this up, but now that I know he's got an ancient version, it's less useful. But I'll post it shortly, in case it clarifies what everyone is talking about. The issue I always see with online demos is that they're too complicated and don't focus on solo guitar like Barry is doing.
It's been a long time since I used Audition 1.5, but my memory says that Audition has always been product that supported two modes. One mode is as you remember, an Edit mode which was more or less a stereo "destructive edit" mode product and the other mode was a non-destructive multitrack editor similar to other DAWs.
__________________
Parlando - Where Music and Words Meet
-----------------------------------
20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6
'00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '07 Parkwood PW510
Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:42 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
It's been a long time since I used Audition 1.5, but my memory says that Audition has always been product that supported two modes. One mode is as you remember, an Edit mode which was more or less a stereo "destructive edit" mode product and the other mode was a non-destructive multitrack editor similar to other DAWs.
You could be right, that's not how I remember it, but it's been 15-20 years...

if you're right, Barry should be able to confirm. All the controls will surely be in different places, but the concepts should be the same.

I still use Audition 3.0 under windows because it had some useful features they removed in the next release, but I thought 3.0 was when they introduced all the DAW-like features. Could be mis-remembering.
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/

Last edited by Doug Young; 04-21-2019 at 06:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-21-2019, 06:54 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
OK, I made a quick and dirty demo, partly because I thought it might help Barry, partly because I realized I'd never tried this in Audition, so it was good to check out the workflow there. This isn't likely to be much help to Barry, unfortunately, but this is what everyone is trying to explain, as applied to solo guitar. Just about any DAW made in the past 10 years or so will do this, it's just a matter of where the various buttons are found. (Note that I now have about 5 minutes worth of experience doing this in Audition, so there may be shortcuts or better ways to do things in it.) But Audition 1.5 was basically the old freeware "Cool Edit", maybe 20 years old now? and was never intended to do this kind of thing.

Anyway, hope this is still useful. I was just on a tech support line with a guy who kept telling me to "push the button on the right" and I saw no button on the right. Very frustrating :-) So hopefully this will clarify what people have been telling you to do, even tho you don't have the tools to do it.

I used my stab at your example, Barry. Doesn't really sound like Stephen, but that's how it goes...

Wow, thanks Doug. I'll have to see what multi track DAW I can come up with. That was really interesting. I'd be really happy with that recording result! Thanks again!
__________________
Barry

Originals:
The Journey***Touched By Light***The Stone Path***

Covers:

Ciuil Amuigh**Star of the County Down**The Foggy Dew**

Avalon L2-320C
Larrivee OM-05
Guild D-120c
Guild D-55 {retired}
Gibson J-45
Martin D-16GT
3 solid top/lams
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:10 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,291
Default

Ok this is interesting.

I downloaded the trial version of the newest Audition and followed Doug's tutorial. I have to get the hang of adjusting the send. I have the same tools that Doug used including the reverb files.

Here's my first attempt at multitrack, etc. I'm happier than a pig in mud right now. I can use all my plugins in one daw and not have to jump around. I have too much reverb in this mix but I can just go back in and turn it down without having to do everything else all over again.

Thank you Doug!

__________________
Barry

Originals:
The Journey***Touched By Light***The Stone Path***

Covers:

Ciuil Amuigh**Star of the County Down**The Foggy Dew**

Avalon L2-320C
Larrivee OM-05
Guild D-120c
Guild D-55 {retired}
Gibson J-45
Martin D-16GT
3 solid top/lams
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:16 PM
jim1960 jim1960 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,331
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm happier than a pig in mud right now.
Now you know why we some of us were pushing you a bit.
__________________
Jim

2017 Circle Strings 00 bastogne walnut/sinker redwood
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
2002 Taylor 814ce Limited cocobolo/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce


SoundCloud link
Spotify
YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,841
Default

Sounds good Barry, lots of reverb now! :-)
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-21-2019, 08:39 PM
sdelsolray sdelsolray is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 6,326
Default

Barry mentioned he uses Audition version 1.5. That's at least 15 years old.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Now you know why we some of us were pushing you a bit.
Yes, thanks. It was certainly one of those "it's for your own good" moments, lol.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
The Journey***Touched By Light***The Stone Path***

Covers:

Ciuil Amuigh**Star of the County Down**The Foggy Dew**

Avalon L2-320C
Larrivee OM-05
Guild D-120c
Guild D-55 {retired}
Gibson J-45
Martin D-16GT
3 solid top/lams
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 PM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Sounds good Barry, lots of reverb now! :-)


Yes I'm a little twist dial challenged right now.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
The Journey***Touched By Light***The Stone Path***

Covers:

Ciuil Amuigh**Star of the County Down**The Foggy Dew**

Avalon L2-320C
Larrivee OM-05
Guild D-120c
Guild D-55 {retired}
Gibson J-45
Martin D-16GT
3 solid top/lams
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Doug Young's Avatar
Doug Young Doug Young is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Mountain View, CA
Posts: 6,841
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Barry mentioned he uses Audition version 1.5. That's at least 15 years old.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Audition

1.5 released May 2004, so almost exactly 15 years ago. From the wikipedia page, it looks like it did have some form of multi-track support. But the page says Adobe "entered the DAW market" with 2.0, whatever that means.
__________________
Doug Young
----------------
Music on Pandora
You Tube Channel
website: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com
Fingerstyle Christmas Tunes: A DADGAD Christmas
Hymns Book: Hymns for Fingerstyle Guitar
CDs: Closing Time, Laurel Mill
Pickup tests: http://www.dougyoungguitar.com/pickuptests/
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-21-2019, 10:59 PM
runamuck runamuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,526
Default

You're an excellent teacher, Doug Young.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-22-2019, 06:13 AM
TBman's Avatar
TBman TBman is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern NJ
Posts: 25,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Audition

1.5 released May 2004, so almost exactly 15 years ago. From the wikipedia page, it looks like it did have some form of multi-track support. But the page says Adobe "entered the DAW market" with 2.0, whatever that means.
The 1.5 does have some kind of multi track ability, but when I tried to get it to do what you did in the video, it just wasn't happening at all. I suspect it may have been intended just to add different instrument tracks, but I'm not sure. It felt like I was putting a square peg into a round hole so I said forget it and upgraded to the recent version.
__________________
Barry

Originals:
The Journey***Touched By Light***The Stone Path***

Covers:

Ciuil Amuigh**Star of the County Down**The Foggy Dew**

Avalon L2-320C
Larrivee OM-05
Guild D-120c
Guild D-55 {retired}
Gibson J-45
Martin D-16GT
3 solid top/lams
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-22-2019, 07:22 AM
Trevor B. Trevor B. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,077
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I used my stab at your example, Barry. Doesn't really sound like Stephen, but that's how it goes...

This is an excellent instructional video. Kudos, Doug Young! I hope Barry doesn't feel "pummelled" by all the posts encouraging this approach but the video above makes it really obvious why this is the way to go.:
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=