The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Making your own guitar

My dad has some fantastic woodworking skills and is always on the lookout for a new project and a guitar might just be the kind of project I would like him to take on. It may or may not be due to the fact that I’m the only one in the family who plays guitar.

While not familiar with the theories of a guitar construction he is more than capable of following instruction and working with blueprints.
I’ve done a little research to see there are acoustic guitar making books (complete with blueprints) and a few instructional videos out there. Has anyone ever gone through the process of building a guitar using these instructional books/videos? Any recommendations? I’d like to hear your feedback on the process before I see if he’s interested.
1964 Suzuki #7
Parkwood PW-410 (Sitka Spruce/Australian Blackwood)
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM

It is a daunting task. There are lots of specialized skills to develop. Various sources sell kits in various stages of preassembly.... from a bundle of sticks and a bag of hardware to a preassembled neck that attaches to a preassembled body. My opinion is that it isn't a one time project. But, if you can talk him into it, I bet you'll end up with something you'll keep forever.

Ed
Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed422 View Post
It is a daunting task. There are lots of specialized skills to develop. Various sources sell kits in various stages of preassembly.... from a bundle of sticks and a bag of hardware to a preassembled neck that attaches to a preassembled body. My opinion is that it isn't a one time project. But, if you can talk him into it, I bet you'll end up with something you'll keep forever.

Ed
I've just started dabbling in woodworking and in my travels came across a woodworking supply chain called Woodcraft. They have all kinds of classes to teach different wood skills.

The store near us is offering a Guitar Building class. That might be another way to learn the craft and end up with a new guitar...
Old 03-27-2012, 05:05 PM

There are different kinds of wood-working skills. If your dad works with hand-tools (planes, chisels, scrapers, etc), then he should have no problem.

Of course, making a good-sounding guitar is a little trickier than simply making a guitar.

Personally, I decided to go with a hands-on class. There are just too many niggling little details, too many specialized jigs, and too many things that can wrong for me to have had any success with a book or video.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-29-2012, 04:01 AM

my first was terrifyling.

now I can knock them together in my sleep.

well, you know what I mean!!

the most daunting thing for me was the fret spacing.

my first 20 or so used either preslotted fretboards from stewmac or were fretless basses.

now I mark out and cut my own fret slots to all sorts of scale lengths and even fans.

a good woodworker should have few difficulties in making a guitar.

ask questions here and read a LOT. there are a load of good books, but Cumpiano's guitarmaking history and technology should be a first buy and kinkead should be your second (IMHO) they have different techniques for some processes, but they are both right.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
blueprint, building, plans, video