The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-11-2018, 04:55 PM

Default Gear Bags

Hey guys,
Just wondering what everyone is using to carry all of their gear to gigs etc.
I'm looking for something fairly compact, even back pack sized to carry my cables, cd's, strap, pedals and general paraphernalia. If it has straps attached to handle mic stands and guitar stands as well, even better.
Show me what you got!
Thanks in advance.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 11-11-2018, 05:20 PM

Targus laptop backpack holds all my cables, mics, mic clips, adapters, spare batteries, power cords, stand lights and clips.

A medium duty keyboard gigbag with wheels holds my mic stand, speaker stand, music stand, acoustic pedalboard bag, and briefcase which holds my mixer.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:32 PM

One of my buds (Who I help set up now and then) uses something like this. Heavy duty, and there are other configurations.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-15...5N12/203601161
Old 11-11-2018, 06:12 PM

For several years I carried most of my needs in a cheap briefcase that you can pick up at many places. It held my multi-effects pedal, a DI, cables, personal vocal mic, penlight, set lists, lyric sheets, magic markers, outlet tester, picks, capos, spare strings, 6 in 1 screwdriver, needle nose pliers with string cutters, and all the other stuff you find yourself needing at gigs.

It was the quickest, easiest, and most inexpensive thing I could find, and the pockets inside the lid held the penlight and extra reading glasses that were instantly accessible (and most welcomed...) on a dark stage.

I had a couple over several years of use and I don't think I paid over $30, picking them up when I found a bargain price.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-11-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 08:53 PM

For small simple gigs I use a bucket. I put my cords, effects, guitar stand, water bottle, and accessories box in there. When I get to the small casual gig, I just dump it all out and turn the bucket upside down to put my Shertler David amp on for a little height. I have some fancey gear bags but for small gigs this works great.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-11-2018, 09:14 PM

We use a backpack and it holds a lot of stuff. Tool have are heavy duty and can hold a lot of heavy stuff. Both good tools.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Ive been using this gig bag from Mesa Boogie for several years. Well made and has several compartments, adjustable dividers, handles and a padded shoulder strap. Winner.

https://store.mesaboogie.com/product...cessories.html

Last edited by The Growler; 11-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 PM

No gear "bags". They don't hold up for heavy-duty use. I use Road, Anvil or Gator-type cases for transporting equipment so it doesn't get damaged.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM

My electronics are carried in padded boxes that I made for them, using very thin plywood or left-over paneling with 1/2" closed-cell insulation on the inside. Everything else, the stuff I take with me when I don't need sound reinforcement, goes in to a day pack, one with multiple pockets to separate things and make them easier to find.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 AM

I was on tour about 20 years ago using a small canvas bag. It ripped and we stopped at a thrift store where I picked up a tiny samsonite suitcase. Probably 12"x10"x10". Been using it ever since. I figure if I can't fit something in it then I probably don't need it.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

Some of my gear is in road cases. All my pedals are on Pedaltrain boards with cases. The rest is in duffle bags or Gator bags. I'm pretty obsessive about gear. I'd like to get a Gator large G-Club backpack. Not cheap but I would get enough use to justify the price
Old 11-12-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

I’ve used this style of bag for years and love them. Plenty of compartments that make sense. The first one I had was branded Mesa Boogie and lasted over 20 years of fairly heavy gigging. The newer generation like this Access is slightly smaller (which I don’t like), and is made from heavier nylon. I don’t think the hardware is quite as good as I’ve had an interior zipper fail. Great bags though. I now have two (one branded Taylor) that hold contents for guitar vs steel guitar gear—I just have to remember to grab the right one lol.

https://www.accessbagsandcases.com/p...fx1-carry-bag/
Old 11-12-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
No gear "bags". They don't hold up for heavy-duty use. I use Road, Anvil or Gator-type cases for transporting equipment so it doesn't get damaged.

Me too. I did this for years when playing in a full rock band and needed the protection. Now that I'm 100% acoustic gigs, I'm still using heavy cases. Works great for me. One case holds my pedal board (I built the board to fit the case), one holds all my cables and my little A&E mixer. And I use that case on it's side as my mixer stand also.

The only "bag" I use is a long bag designed for stands which holds my mic stand and guitar stand. Makes for easier grab and go transport.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 11-12-2018, 03:23 PM

I feel the OP is looking for a portable rig that allows for a 1-trip haul-in. I know I'd be interested in that as well. I typically haul in 2 guitars in hard cases, two mics, pedalboard, mixer, 2 mic stands, a music stand, a guitar stand, a DXR10 powered speaker, a speaker stand, cables, a 3 ring binder with chord charts, and drinks.

Last edited by YamahaGuy; 11-12-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I feel the OP is looking for a portable rig that allows for a 1-trip haul-in.
Thank you every one for your contributions so far, it has been most helpful.
As YamahaGuy mentioned I am looking for a portable bag, nothing too rigid as this is only for occasional use.
I've got my eye on a number of bags, since which have been mentioned here already, but particularly this one which is currently out of stock
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U0N5IY0...v_ov_lig_dp_it

And this one as well
http://lugville.com/shop/lugville-musicians-gear-bag/

Please keep the options coming though, this had been enlightening!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion