The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-13-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Martin OMC-18E vs. 16, 28 and 35 series

First time posting, looking for some insight. Shopping for a new acoustic, I recently played an OMC-18E at a local shop and really liked it. Great playability and a nice full and warm sound, more than I expected from the OM size. I'd seen an OMC-16E online and was curious about that model but there aren't any locally for me to audition. Same goes for the 28 and 35 series so I'm left trying to compare via yt clips.

Trying to compare online and referencing what I heard in person with the 18 I'd describe it as warmer and a little darker, with a deeper bass response than the 16. The 16 to my ears is a bit quieter with more pronounced midrange, almost a little boxy sounding but still pleasant. The 28 and 35 very similar to each other, sound brighter than the 18 but with less pronounced midrange and more top end vs. the 16 while retaining the fuller bass of the 18.

I'd appreciate any input on what others have heard between these series, especially if you have hands on experience with the OMC models. Thanks!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 PM

I recently picked up a 2017 OMC35e in trade. It is a wonderful instrument that to me has a lot of midrange but is light on the low end. When played fingerstyle the guitar really shines - very balanced and responsive. As a strummer....not so much. If pushed, it will get muddy- that may just be OM’s in general...I don’t know. I also like the aesthetics of the three piece back and I am a confessed rosewood freak!!

I will say this however. The Fishman electronics are horrible and sound hollow. I put in a K&K mini setup... A world of difference. Good luck with your search!!

Mark
Old 11-13-2018, 10:45 PM

I don't think the 16 will keep up with the others.

I've played a number of them, and allowing for exceptions being possible, they were a bit thin.

I would think if you acquire a 16, it would most likely be a stepping stone on your way to an 18, 28 or 35.

Btw, just to clarify, all of the 16's I played were Rosewood like the 28's and 35's,
while 18's are Mahogany.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:19 AM

I have an OMC16e (American cherry wood),
While amplified, onboard electronics are wonderful,
Tone is great and have had many compliments,
Overall, from that aspect, I am satisfied, it was,
after all, purchased for performing on stage.

However,
Unplugged, it is only adequate and is surpassed by
my Gibson LC1 Cascade.

If the OMC 16 is considered a stepping stone to
another guitar it will be to the GPC for me as the
Additional depth of this model creates the unplugged
tone I like.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the replies - keep them coming!

Thin is another way to describe what I hear from the 16 compared to the 18 too. I definitely perceive the 18 to be fuller and warmer. I have been mostly relying on Maury's Music videos, and it's the 16 with cherry back and sides. It definitely sounds a little thin by comparison but not terrible. Interesting comment about the 16 being a potential stepping stone; I don't want to make that purchase as I'd view it as a mistake.

I really wish I could get my hands on one but there just aren't any around. I might be able to find a 28 but it will be comparing at different stores, which while better than comparing yt videos isn't nearly as useful as comparing side by side. Such is the challenge with almost any guitar purchase these days - very limited options available for in person demos.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:11 PM

Where do you live?
I am in Chicago area
Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I had an OMC-18E for a year. Truly a wonderful guitar. I got seduced by dreads and once I started hearing the bigger deeper richer Martins (D-18, D-41, Outlaw 17 etc) I found it hard to go back to the OMC-18E. Even amplified, the smaller voice of the OMC-18E left me wanting. (for MY needs) Honestly a great guitar for those who love OM's.

I did compare the OMC-18 to the 16 series and always felt the OMC-18 was richer and more complete.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseland67 View Post
Where do you live?
I am in Chicago area
Unfortunately miles away - in the PNW outside of Seattle.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbox View Post
I don't think the 16 will keep up with the others.

I've played a number of them, and allowing for exceptions being possible, they were a bit thin.

I would think if you acquire a 16, it would most likely be a stepping stone on your way to an 18, 28 or 35.

Btw, just to clarify, all of the 16's I played were Rosewood like the 28's and 35's,
while 18's are Mahogany.
I just went back to reread this thread as there are a couple of very good deals available now on 16e models, the new one with cherry back and sides.

This post in particular struck me as interesting. I figured it to be mostly the wood making the difference, i.e. the 16 being a little thinner sounding but noticed you say here woodbox that the 16s you played were also rosewood.

There isn't much in the specs listed on Martin's site to indicate construction differences so now I'm wondering what exactly it is that would make a rosewood 16e sound thinner than a rosewood 18e, or for that matter different to a rosewood 28e or 35e.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:15 PM

The 18 series is much superior to the 16 tone-wise IMO. I think your analogy is dead on. 18 will be deeper sounding in the bass for sure. The trebles might actually sound a little thinner on the 18 because of the more scalloped bracing so keep that in mind.

The 2018 re-imagined OMC-28e is also spectacular. They did the 1/4" scalloped bracing on this model now, where as the pre-2018 28 and 35 series did not have scalloped bracing (even though the Martin website mistakenly says it does). So the 2016-2017 OMC-28 and 35 will sound like a straight braced guitar. Strong projection but not as much bass.

Also with the new 2018 series guitars you can get the Ambertone or Sunburst finish and with the LR Baggs Anthem instead of the Fishman Aura VT Enhance. I have the Aura Enhance, ES1, ES2, and Fishman F1 Analog systems and it's the best of these 4. However the Anthem is very highly regarded as one of the best pickups you can buy.

EDIT: I should note that apparently the OCM-16e also has 1/4" scalloped bracing. So I suppose the major difference then is the neck-joint and body woods. I also played a GPC-16e today and quite liked that guitar!

Last edited by ii Cybershot ii; 11-22-2018 at 07:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion