The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-09-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

I don't know enough about which ones will record well, though I imagine you can make most OMs record pretty well. I don't think they are particularly hard to record, based on my limited knowledge.

I think what we really need to know is a bit more about your budget and tastes. The original OM is the Martin OM, but that name has now been used to describe an enormous variety of guitars that are approximately 15 to 15.5" across the lower bout.

If you like a traditional, dry Martin sound - which, frankly, is THE place to start - I've been very impressed with the Authentic series Martins. They are, however, rather expensive.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:58 PM

Thanks very much. Some new options.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-12-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I don't know enough about which ones will record well, though I imagine you can make most OMs record pretty well. I don't think they are particularly hard to record, based on my limited knowledge.
My Larrivee OM-03R can sound a bit muddy recorded. My wife's OM-03 records better.

For live, I would always pick the Rosewood OM over the Mahogany. For recording, hog or Walnut is a bit cleaner.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 11-12-2018, 07:02 PM

I absolutely love my Larrivee OM and highly recommend you check them out. There are many trim levels to choose from in both mahogany and rosewood tone woods as well as an occasional limited run using exotic woods. Larrivee uses the best woods available and fit and finish is second to none. Frankly I think Larivvee guitars are underpriced which means it's a great deal for us as musicians.

Blues
Old 11-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmcf View Post
Be sure to try a Santa Cruz OM/PW. Great guitar, with a great voice. It should meet all you flatpicking and strumming needs. You may need to look for a good used one, as new ones are especially pricey.

There are lots of guitar choices in the OM category. Try as many as you can. It is surprising how much the tone and feel and playability can vary among OM guitars.

Good luck.
I have a Santa Cruz OM/PW, and I agree that it would be a good choice. Here is an example of me playing my Santa Cruz OM/PW with voice:

I also have a Collings OM1A deep body OM which is an excellent guitar to sing with. Here is an example of that guitar with voice:

- Glenn
Old 11-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have a Santa Cruz OM/PW, and I agree that it would be a good choice. Here is an example of me playing my Santa Cruz OM/PW with voice:

I also have a Collings OM1A deep body OM which is an excellent guitar to sing with. Here is an example of that guitar with voice:

- Glenn
You get a lovely recorded sound of your guitars. I see on your other videos that you use two short space pair of mics in an ORTIF configuration. Can you tell me what those microphones are? And how close do you mic?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
You get a lovely recorded sound of your guitars. I see on your other videos that you use two short space pair of mics in an ORTIF configuration. Can you tell me what those microphones are? And how close do you mic?
Hi Knives&Guitars,

I use Rode NT5 mics with omni capsules mounted in lieu of the original cardioid capsules. The mics are probably about 10-12 inches away from the top of the guitar. There are certainly better mics that can be used, but the Rode NT5 work very well for a modest price, about $420 US for a matched pair.

Thanks for your kind words! Sorry to sidetrack this discussion.

- Glenn
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
The Deep Body OM basically makes it into a Dread Depth so would take away some of the comfyness of an om.
Don’t believe this statement until you play one. I switched to a deep body OM Martin (which are NOT dread depth, but the way...they are part way between standard OM and dread) due to shoulder issues. Indistinguishable comfort with a standard OM in my shoulder’s opinion. The DB OM is far more comfy than the 0000/M and dreadnought. Most epic versitile Martin shape. Mine just sounds better and better.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My Larrivee OM-03R can sound a bit muddy recorded. My wife's OM-03 records better.

For live, I would always pick the Rosewood OM over the Mahogany. For recording, hog or Walnut is a bit cleaner.
Got it. I figured with modern EQs and adjustments you could deal with those issues, but I suppose it's all relative. I need to improve my recording chops!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:09 PM
Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars is offline

For the money, there is simply no beating Furch Guitars. One of my personal favs! Love the G23's but the OM's are fantastic too!
Old 11-13-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
My favourite OM of all I have played: Collings OM2H, no question. I can't say 'best' as what is great to one is not necessarily to another.
Yes definitely -how can you do better than a Collings or a Vintage style Martin, like a OM28v or a OM18v ( both out of production ) i love my OM28v but would love a Collings as well !
the only problem with the Martin is the V neck - But its a good fit for me
Old 11-13-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan @ Heartbreaker Guitars View Post
For the money, there is simply no beating Furch Guitars. One of my personal favs! Love the G23's but the OM's are fantastic too!
How do Furch hold the comparaison with let's say for axample Lowden or Bourgeois in your opinion, in terms of tone and quality? I wouldn't trade my Furch OM 32 SM for anything, but I'm just curious, as I haven't played one of those yet
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 11-14-2018, 01:48 PM

The OP here. I love hearing the suggestions and answers to my question in the thread starter. It looks like all of the top builders, Martin, Gibson, Furch, Taylor, Collings, Bourgious and more are favored as good OM's to consider. My problem is I live where I really cannot play all the models that I wish I could so I do rely on this forum for good advice. Thanks for that.

I am currently leaning towards

1.Custom Shop Martin Cocobolo OM with Adi top and braces, 45 style head stock engraving and plate, torrified, Golden Era bracing.

2. Custom Martin Guatemalan OM 45 style, grade 7 Adi top, torrified, Adi braces, 45 style rosette, Golden Era bracing.

3. A close third is a Collings European Maple 000-42 with Adi top, Adi braces, 42 style headstock and rosette with 42 style inlays around the top and neck.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo

Last edited by hotroad; 11-14-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
The OP here. I love hearing the suggestions and answers to my question in the thread starter. It looks like all of the top builders, Martin, Gibson, Furch, Taylor, Collings, Bourgious and more are favored as good OM's to consider. My problem is I live where I really cannot play all the models that I wish I could so I do rely on this forum for good advice. Thanks for that.

I am currently leaning towards

1.Custom Shop Martin Cocobolo OM with Adi top and braces, 45 style head stock engraving and plate, torrified, Golden Era bracing.

2. Custom Martin Guatemalan OM 45 style, grade 7 Adi top, torrified, Adi braces, 45 style rosette, Golden Era bracing.

3. A close third is a Collings European Maple 000-42 with Adi top, Adi braces, 42 style headstock and rosette with 42 style inlays around the top and neck.
Do not underestimate the Furch , Martin guitars will provide a dryer and darker sound, Furch will provide a slightly more modern but still with a vintage kind of tone, but their quality is just top notch
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 11-14-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Darker? Hmmm . . . I usually hear Martin OMs as quite brilliant, that being one of their strong suits. I find that modern guitars are more likely to be dark.

By the way, I take dark to mean muted treble content.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion