The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Do they have to be mutually exclusive? I do both. I practice when I have time and just play a song or two when I don't.
I never suggested that anything was mutually exclusive. A few people suggested (both in this thread and others) that they (or others) wouldn't play as frequently if their instruments were stored in their cases. I suggested that, for me, this is silly. I am a fairly disciplined person. I make time for practice daily. Practice for me includes any of the following: drilling technique, learning new material, composing (both lead ideas and full songs), reviewing old material, practice with my band, jamming/noodling, etc. So whether the instrument is in a case, hanging on a wall, on a floor stand or wherever, it doesn't impact how often my instruments get utilized. Do I sometimes just sit and pick a guitar for a few minutes? Of course. Does having my guitars stored in their cases impact any of this? Not at all.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyard View Post
I never suggested that anything was mutually exclusive. A few people suggested (both in this thread and others) that they (or others) wouldn't play as frequently if their instruments were stored in their cases. I suggested that, for me, this is silly. I am a fairly disciplined person. I make time for practice daily. Practice for me includes any of the following: drilling technique, learning new material, composing (both lead ideas and full songs), reviewing old material, practice with my band, jamming/noodling, etc. So whether the instrument is in a case, hanging on a wall, on a floor stand or wherever, it doesn't impact how often my instruments get utilized. Do I sometimes just sit and pick a guitar for a few minutes? Of course. Does having my guitars stored in their cases impact any of this? Not at all.
Good to hear. I'm a wall hanger myself and while I'm disciplined enough to set up actual practice time, I know that I won't do the "grab a guitar and play one song" thing if it's in a case but would if it's on the wall. So what seems silly to you is a benefit to me.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

We can differ on any topic... some of us hang guitars on walls and some of us do not. But we have to remain respectful of the opinions of others. Thank you.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Every guitar store has hundreds of guitars hanging on them. The only risk is when they are not installed correctly and this one out of 3 million or more that had a defect.
The hanger falling isn’t the only thing that can cause damage to a guitar hanging on the wall. I’m sure you weren’t suggesting that at all.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-19-2018, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Hey guys,,,,There is no right or wrong to this. The decision to hang guitars or not, is a basically a subjective one .
If you believe it encourages you to play more then that is great, a totally personal psychological subjective belief, but great none the less .

Is it arguably a bit more convenient time wise ? sure by about 8 to 10 seconds to lay it down, unbuckle the case and take it out,,,, then another 10 to 15 seconds to put it back ( I just timed it at fairly leisurely pace ) but certainly not anywhere near the suggested 2 1/2 minutes.

Does it encourage more playing ( for any given individual it is certainly possible ) as as universal not so much.

For me living in a very dry climate at elevation, it would not be advisable without installing at least a single room humidifier.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Hey guys,,,,There is no right or wrong to this. The decision to hang guitars or not, is a basically a subjective one .
If you believe it encourages you to play more then that is great, a totally personal psychological subjective belief, but great none the less .
B
Is it arguably a bit more convenient time wise ? sure by about 8 to 10 seconds to lay it down, unbuckle the case and take it out,,,, then another 10 to 15 seconds to put it back ( I just timed it at fairly leisurely pace ) but certainly not anywhere near the suggested 2 1/2 minutes.

Does it encourage more playing ( for any given individual it is certainly possible ) as as universal not so much.

For me living in a very dry climate it would not be advisable without installing at least a single room humidifier.

Assuming you keep your cases where you play. I play in the living room and my bedroom and it would not be practical to keep cases there. But I do have guitars hanging in each.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM

I don't have space to store cases near where I play so any instrument that gets regular play is hanging on the wall. My little home studio has to function as lesson room, amateur recording studio (though amateur is relative to the size mostly, we have done CDs here), waiting room, and the family TV room (when I'm not working). Most of my hangers are home made but I do have three Hercules hangers that were a gift. None have failed, though a tornado did lift a guitar out of one and loosened another.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Assuming you keep your cases where you play. I play in the living room and my bedroom and it would not be practical to keep cases there. But I do have guitars hanging in each.
Yes I also keep my guitars where I play. But objectively it is no more or less "practical" to keep a guitar in a case in the living room or bedroom, than to hang it on the wall.
Now it could certainly be a subjective personal aesthetic perspective as to preference for one way or the other, but again that's subjective not objective reasoning.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 06-19-2018, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooh View Post
I don't have space to store cases near where I play so any instrument that gets regular play is hanging on the wall. My little home studio has to function as lesson room, amateur recording studio (though amateur is relative to the size mostly, we have done CDs here), waiting room, and the family TV room (when I'm not working). Most of my hangers are home made but I do have three Hercules hangers that were a gift. None have failed, though a tornado did lift a guitar out of one and loosened another.
Well it is funny how we all, sometimes sight what we assume are practical objective reasons but when we step back and truly objectively examine them, we sometimes find they are not as accurate as we think .
Consider that multiple guitars hanging on a wall actually take up a good bit more linear wall space, than the same number in case's stacked tightly against each other, on the same wall ......just sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-19-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpl man View Post
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I don't hang my guitars, but am a huge fan of these toggle style drywall anchors. I've used them to hang several heavy items with great success.
Fastenal carries these and they are heavy duty. I’ve mounted two large TVs using these. The added benefit is you can unscrew these and you don’t need a new toggle type bolt. The threads are mounted into the Sheetrock and can be used over and over. Still mounting to a stud is probably best.
The op’s problem was that the hanger itself broke.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
The hanger falling isn’t the only thing that can cause damage to a guitar hanging on the wall. I’m sure you weren’t suggesting that at all.
Other than being careless, what other things are you suggesting?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well it is funny how we all, sometimes sight what we assume are practical objective reasons but when we step back and truly objectively examine them, we sometimes find they are not as accurate as we think .
Consider that multiple guitars hanging on a wall actually take up a good bit more linear wall space, than the same number in case's stacked tightly against each other, on the same wall ......just sayin'
But regardless of the practical or true objectivity, accuracy, actuality of the data/evidence different people will still have different preferences.

Again, there is no single 'right' way that everyone can be argued into compliance with.

This is a preference thing.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Skipping all the controversery, I just like guitars on the walls. I'll be adding a few more. Not only do they solve a space problem for me; I just like them "hanging around," if you will.

More hangers!

scott memmer
Old 06-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
But regardless of the practical or true objectivity, accuracy, actuality of the data/evidence different people will still have different preferences.

Again, there is no single 'right' way that everyone can be argued into compliance with.

This is a preference thing.
Totally a preference thing..... And Exactly what I said in my first and second post. "personal aesthetic perspective as to preference" and "Hey guys,,,,There is no right or wrong to this."
The post you quoted was a response pointing out the "space" thing , is also largely a subjective preference thing.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 06-19-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Skipping all the controversery, I just like guitars on the walls. I'll be adding a few more. Not only do they solve a space problem for me; I just like them "hanging around," if you will.

More hangers!

scott memmer
I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Aside from the humidity, I'm just scared the big one (or even the medium one) will hit the San Andreas or Hayward faults soon. I don't want to even think about the possible result to hanging guitars!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion