The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-16-2018, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

The worst cell phone use by drivers I’ve ever seen is in Marin County, CA. For example, the Whole Foods on Miller is across from parking in the median, on the south side of the street. There is a well marked crosswalk, and drivers fly by every day talking on their cell phones, oblivious to anyone standing waiting to cross. Whole Foods put out flags for pedestrian customers to wave, and the same drivers, if they noticed at all, would look at you with an annoyed “how can you be interrupting my important day” expression. Next they put an employee, also with a flag, at the crosswalk to help customers, which was also a futile effort, and they finally gave up. I agree that stiffer fines and more rigorous enforcement could make a difference, but I can’t recall ever observing anyone being stopped.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 06-17-2018, 08:47 AM

I had this happen to me when I was very young (18) and driving the first vehicle I owned (66 Ford Econoline Van). Three lanes, a left turn lane and two travel lanes, I was in the left travel lane at the threshold of an intersection going about 50 mph. A woman in the opposing direction entered the intersection to make a left turn in front of me, but stopped realizing her mistake. I could see the horror on her face. I threw the wheel into a right evasive maneuver, just missed her, but put the van through the right travel lane and into the entrance of a gas station as I was throwing the wheel into a left evasive maneuver to recover control. I entered the gas station, flew past the gas pumps, out the other entrance just beyond the pumps and recovered the van in a straight direction in the left travel lane again. There was lots of van body swaying and fish-tailing throughout. Looking in my rear view mirrors I could see the traffic in the intersection still at a stand-still as I motored away. My passenger, my best friend, did not have his lap belt fastened during the event and slammed into me and then his door as I maneuvered around the woman. He was shell-shocked, having witnessed his life before his eyes, and without looking down from his fixation on the road ahead fastened his belt while mumbling something about excellent driving. I thought it was a scream and chuckled about it making my day.

Another time occurred much later but it was a black bear bolting out in front of me at night from some roadside brush. The bear didn't make it and the car suffered $5,000.00 front end damage (insurance job - probably 50-cents had I repaired it myself - exaggeration intended).
Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Well, that's exactly my point. We need strict, draconian-like enforcement. You can't fix stupid in some cases, but you can deal with it. And obviously your defensive-driving maxim at the end should always be followed, because all it takes is 1 mishap.

Draconian style enforcement would apply to everything, not just texting and driving. No thank you, I rather deal with a few distracted drivers.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Draconian style enforcement would apply to everything, not just texting and driving. No thank you, I rather deal with a few distracted drivers.
No it wouldn't, specific statues and specific enforcement is, and always has been been, part and parcel of our social and legal system.
Somehow I don't think the mother of child killed by a texting driver would agree with such causal dismissal.
Now--- the question " is it feasible logistically ?" is however a valid question.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 06-18-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:35 PM

The other day a young lady in front of me drove way off the road, dust was flying everywhere. She swerved back onto the road. I got in the left lane to pass her and as I was passing she was still texting and looking at her phone. This type of stuff is why I don't ride motorcycles anymore.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic