The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-04-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You studied with Howard Morgen? I am jealous.
I do have all of Howard Morgen's books AND the tapes that went with several of them. Most of these are now out of print and I have long since converted the tapes to MP3s, fortunately. It would have been great to have first-hand experience with him though because a book can only go so far. This is why I highly recommend Conti, because those DVDs that come with the books are just like him sitting in your living room explaining how to work with the material step by step.
Tony
Howie was a great player but an even greater teacher. He had a 7-year curriculum all planned out. He just had to figure out what level you were at to know where to plug you in. So he knew exactly what path he was taking you. And he was also a really nice guy.

I stayed with him for 3 years and unfortunately, life started getting too complicated to include lessons. It is one of the few regrets I have that I didn't stay with him.
Old 04-04-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
Howie was a great player but an even greater teacher. He had a 7-year curriculum all planned out. He just had to figure out what level you were at to know where to plug you in. So he knew exactly what path he was taking you. And he was also a really nice guy.

I stayed with him for 3 years and unfortunately, life started getting too complicated to include lessons. It is one of the few regrets I have that I didn't stay with him.
In my opinion, that is what a good teacher should. My experience, the little I had with teachers was that they didn't really have any sort of long term plan. It was more along the lines of well, let's do this today.

That is one advantage of a book or DVD...the thing has to be planned from start to finish even if it doesn't provide such a long term plan as Howard Morgen had for his students.

I would want a teacher who determined where I was on the guitar journey, where I wanted to go, and then how to get there. Maybe s/he determines I am close and it will only be a few months of doing the right things. Maybe the determination is that it will take a few years of focusing on the right things. Where do you find such a teacher? So instead, we teach ourselves, which is all too often the blind leading the blind.

Another really good chord melody path is the Steve Crowell SDM course...

https://www.chordmelodyguitarmusic.c...books-DVDS.htm

This course is probably the closest to what I just described, but it is a commitment.

Tony
Old 04-04-2021, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Friends, I have started studying the concept of chord melody and would appreciate links to any resources.
Specifically, I am forming major triads with the top three strings and replacing the top note with the appropriate scale note, to create a voicing different than the usual major chord.
Much obliged.
David
A simple search of Chordal Playing guitar on YouTube should generate results. Also my best friends this during this pandemic has been:

1. https://www.fundamental-changes.com/...tegory/guitar/

2. https://jtcguitar.com/store/package/...s-masterclass/

3. https://www.jack-gardiner.co.uk/vide...-packages.html

I really found Jack's delivery to be effective for me. I'm not affiliated with any of them. At some point the Youtube searching got really tedious for me because it's all random and I needed structure. So I bought their content and found it extremely helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write