The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-03-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
Next two bars...

1 3 4 1 2 3 4 &?

These are from a Tom Feldman lesson on Robert Johnson’s Kind Hearted Woman. It’s the verse that starts “ain’t but one thing... makes Mr. Johnson drink...”

I’m not sure they’re actually written properly but I am not good with much past straight eights. Also he doesn’t always play the beats after the first one especially when he’s going slow and teaching.
I think trying to count out such blues phrases is counterproductive, much better if you can obtain a clear recording , a modern cover if necessary, and then play along to get the sound of the timing in your head.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyrondack View Post
I think trying to count out such blues phrases is counterproductive, much better if you can obtain a clear recording , a modern cover if necessary, and then play along to get the sound of the timing in your head.
For me both are helpful. I sometimes (often) have to get the analytical part of my brain out of the way before I can really concentrate on getting the feel.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
In the academic/classical world, that's true. In the big band/jazz/session player world, it's sort of turned on its head. 4/4 is swung unless the players are instructed otherwise. And trust me on this, session players (not counting classical) would much rather see a chart in 4 with "swung" at the top than that 12/8 thing in the first post. If you gave it to them written in 12 it'd be a needless timewaster and they'd assume you don't know what you're doing.
Hi Brent
The original question was posed due to a chart.

Your explanation is fine, but it doesn't answer the original question.

And 12/8 is not limited to the classical or academic world. Lots of 'BIG' sounding rock ballads were done in 12/8.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-03-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Brent
The original question was posed due to a chart.

Your explanation is fine, but it doesn't answer the original question.

And 12/8 is not limited to the classical or academic world. Lots of 'BIG' sounding rock ballads were done in 12/8.

Okay. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 04-03-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
For me both are helpful. I sometimes (often) have to get the analytical part of my brain out of the way before I can really concentrate on getting the feel.
Sure combining both ways is very helpfull at times, I often miss hear phrases and the dots can provide an extra check . I 'm learning to play blues in a more jazzy style from the active melody site , the soundslice tool is great for hearing the phrases and seeing the notation at the same time, best way to learn that I've come across.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write