The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-21-2020, 04:50 AM

I'm afraid our guitar is still very much lost and the insurance process is being started..
Hopefully one day someone will notice the very distinctive features of our 'space, time & energy' guitar guitar and hopefully know and remember that she is still only part of the way through her journey home to the UK...
Old 01-21-2020, 05:10 AM
Charter Member

Although I'm just an observer, after having three guitars shipped to me from the USA to the UK without issues (apart from a dealer ship who foolishly tried to mislead HMRC making the import cost to me more expensive).

Your situation is not like shipping some standard high volume instrument - this is a one of a kind and I eagerly opened this thread hoping to read good news.
The luthier obviously put his heart and soul and much labour int creating this guitar, and the buyer trusted him to make him a once n a lifetime instrument.

I can only hope that it is currently sitting under or beside a shelf and has been missed and a stock check or whatever will reveal it and send it on its way.

This world is full of so many appalling things going on and this is "just" a guitar, but I really feel for both of you and hope that somehow this errrant creation finally reaches its destination is good condition.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:33 AM

Sorry to hear .. I wouldn't have any hair left by now. Will say this, however - my own policy as a purchaser is to never economize shipping for guitars costing 4 or 5 large .. nationally, or internationally. Only priority next day delivery, regardless of the extra cost. I just had a vintage wartime Martin overnited from PA to CT. Just sayin ....
Old 03-07-2020, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
Well said, Tom. I have a strong intuitional feeling that that is what's going on here. I'm mentally picturing someone walking into a room adjacent to the US Customs office in Memphis, seeing a large box there with no shipping label, and calling it to the managers attention... And three hours later, I get get a phone call from FedEx saying the package is located, positively identified, and on its way to A.J. And then it arrives without further incident.

SO BET IT!

Thank you so much, everybody, for for all your input, encouragement, and good wishes in A.J.'s (and my) behalf.
Okay, I'm bringing this thread back to the Custom Shop. It's been over three months since I shipped this guitar to Alex in the UK. On January 27, I filed an insurance claim for the lost guitar. Since then, I have been informed by the robot at the FedEx help line that the resolution was still pending. I was all set to wander through the labyrinth until I found a live human on the line, and then threaten legal action.

Then, yesterday afternoon, I received a phone call from from a FedEx representative. She informed me that the package had been found, intact! She said that the packet of shipping and Customs documents had been removed from the box, and apparently gone missing. So, there the unmarked package sat, for three long months. The rep then asked whether I wanted it shipped back to me, or forwarded on to Alex. Of course I said, "Please
complete the delivery as intended!!!"

So apparently all is well, and the guitar will be delivered, and will be in Alex's ever-patient hands next week!!!
I sent Alex a text and an email with the happy news. He is delighted with this sudden turn of fortune. As I wrote to Alex last night, "...it appears that the guitar's journey through different octaves of the Multiverse has made a nice round circle back into our slim little slice of time and space..."

All this time, I still had a strong gut feeling that the guitar would eventually re-surface. And it happened almost exactly as I prognosticated at the header of this post. Except that the "three hours" turned into three months...

Given all the frustration, dead ends, and miscommunication, I am still holding my breath until the guitar arrives, in perfect condition, and Alex reports back that all is well. I will update this again, as soon as this is an accomplished fact. THEN, we will have a happy ending to this saga, and hopefully a happy beginning to Alex's ownership of the Time/Space Eclipse OM guitar. I hope it measures up to his best hopes and expectations.

I am sincerely grateful to everyone who has visited this thread and wished us well, and provided tons of wise advice, and not a little commiseration. I really believe that all that concentrated mental energy and prayers has caused this unfolding outcome. Thank you my friends!
Old 03-07-2020, 05:46 PM
Charter Member

Holy cow. What great news!!

Now let's hope it arrives in great condition, then it's happy dance time
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-07-2020, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Smile YES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Hooray and woohoo!!!

Fingers crossed...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-07-2020, 06:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post

Yes, thanks for that Eatswodo. I'm still nervous as heck, and will be until the guitar is in Alex's possession, and he is rockin' the Casbah with it. There seems to be a spiritual element to this whole story, a huge affirmation, which will make the happy dance you mentioned even happier. The guitar will arrive looking exactly like the pictures below. SO BE IT!

Old 03-07-2020, 06:10 PM
Musical minimalist

Crossing my fingers for both of you that it survived the possible elements it was in - hopefully toward the friendly end of the spectrum.

I had a feeling it would show up when you least expected it.

Here's to a happy ending....

Old 03-07-2020, 06:13 PM

What fantastic news Steve, I am so happy for you!!! I am sure it will be fine, it has just been sitting there in a controlled environment so really that part should be great.

Congrats again, good things happen to good people.
Old 03-07-2020, 06:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Great news Steve, I’m glad to hear it!

Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 03-07-2020, 06:52 PM

So happy to learn this news!!! Yea!!!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-07-2020, 06:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

Huge sigh of relief from your neighbor to the west.
I'm happy for you Steve!

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 03-07-2020, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Rock and roll, great news!
Old 03-07-2020, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Default That post of yours

..brought a wiiiiide smile to my face. And a deep sense of relieve.
Happy for you and your customer Steve, and for the guitar.. what a loss it would have been.
Old 03-07-2020, 07:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
What fantastic news Steve, I am so happy for you!!! I am sure it will be fine, it has just been sitting there in a controlled environment so really that part should be great.

Congrats again, good things happen to good people.
Talk about good people, you wouldn't believe how patient and gracious Alex has been through this whole ordeal. I'm actually happy to be able to say that my main concern at this point is, I just hope it's a good enough guitar to be worthy of being owned by such a good guy.

I'm still unclear whether the guitar turned up in Memphis or in the UK. But whatever the case, it was definitely not sitting in the back of a truck in freezing weather. I'm focusing on it being in pristine condition.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop