The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-21-2016, 02:21 AM

Default Some Rainsong/Stonebridge comparisons

Poking around on youtube today and came across these two videos, which members of this sub might find of interest.

and a blind test, which I actually found more interesting
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 06-21-2016, 06:58 AM
Charter Member

Wish he would have compared an all-carbon-fiber RainSong OM1000N2 or RainSong WS1000N2 with the wooden guitars. The RainSong H-OM1000N2 is a composite carbon fiber/fiberglass guitar that IMHO doesn't have the crystalline ring to it as do the all-carbon-fiber RainSongs.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-21-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

I'm a carbon fiber fan, have owned several, and still own one for travel and playing out, but to my ear the Stonebridge is the better, fuller richer sounding instrument (as are my own fine wooden guitars). I'm a fingerstyle player with a soft attack and to me the difference is slightly more pronounced for that style. I found that to be true in the videos as well.

Last edited by dogdog49; 06-21-2016 at 07:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:22 AM

Not a comment about the comparison videos but about Stonebridge. In playing them at local music stores they were among the best wood guitars I ever touched. I never hear much about them, at least in my circles. If I was in the market for a high end wood guitar, a Stonebridge would be one I would fantasize about getting.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:15 AM

I'm told DB will be doing a follow up to this vide featuring the two guitars after they've been left in a hot car for a few days, then hosed down with water to cool them down. Stay tuned.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
I'm told DB will be doing a follow up to this vide featuring the two guitars after they've been left in a hot car for a few days, then hosed down with water to cool them down. Stay tuned.
That's funny! Well, maybe not to the wood purists.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:07 PM

Agreed. After he's swept up all the parts and re-glued everything back together again, a before-and-after comparison would be in order.

I've never been able to see or play a Stonebridge / Furch, but I've owned Martin and Rainsong (and others) for many years. What struck me about the videos is that while I could hear subtle differences between the guitars, I basically liked the sound of all of them. Each had strengths and weaknesses. For the blind demo, I guessed wrong in almost every case.

Normally I don't bother listening to video or audio demos over the interweb. Between my computer speakers, digital on-line compression schemes, and variation in recording techniques / equipment, most sound clips and audio clips are largely pointless for how I would actually hear and perceive the guitars in person. In this case, DB kept everything as constant as practical except for switching between the guitars selected.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:55 PM

I Almost traded my CF guitar for a wood OO a couple days ago, thinking I just prefer the organic feel of wood....Then yesterday I played a jam for four hours straight with my new Blackbird and after the first hour or so of playing realized ,,,This is a great guitar!!
I grab my wood in the case,,,,20lbs...heavy, I pick up my CF to go and it's about 4lbs. with the case.
Reason I decided not to trade was i worried my SC wood would not hold up outside in the heat,,,,no worry with this one.
The one downside I did realize though is my CF guitar for resale or trade is compared to wood terrible.
But since I decided to keep it no matter now, and now that I've played it for many hours find myself grabbing it and leaving my wood guitar in the case at home, so much more useful and so much less worry............JMO Jerry
Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

I think Earl calls it like it is. CF guitars now offer just about tonal and projection quality available. Many of them may sound different from wood, but they all sound good, they play well, and they endure. Viva la CF!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
I Almost traded my CF guitar for a wood OO a couple days ago......my CF guitar for resale or trade is compared to wood terrible..... Jerry
Jerry, IMHO it would have been a mistake to trade for anything but the most stellar of either modern or vintage 00's. Glad you came to your senses in time....

With Blackbird backed up around three months on production, I doubt that your new Lucky 13 would have lost a whole lot of value, if listed here where us CF types hang out. I tried to pounce on a used one a few months ago, but it sold to another forum member within four hours of listing. I'm pretty sure you got just about the last one on the shelf nearly anywhere when you bought from Ted recently (I was watching that one, but you beat me to it). Just one more Taylor guitar waiting to sell, and then I can order mine.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:48 PM

I hear you Earl, after 40 years of playing wood it's been a weird transition for me, first I was excited about it, then thought maybe I'd made a mistake, sold a real nice 18GE, to get it, then I decided to trade for another wood, then my wife reminded me of the reason for buying in the first place, the rv and travel, if I get another wood guitar I won't want to play it outside again,,,,DUH! I think now after spending a great deal of time with it I am going back to being excited about it.
I play around 4hrs a day to keep up with my lessons and learning tunes etc. so for two weeks now I have not touched my SC, and I have come to realize the neck on this guitar is absolutely wonderful. I shaved a few thousands off the saddle and set the action where I like it. Yesterday while playing at a jam I realized my speed has increased a bit and I had no hand fatigue after almost 4 hours of fiddle tune leads which are demanding.
So I think I'm coming full circle and falling into the CF camp be it a bumpy entrance. Leaving Thursday for another campout in a hot climate so won't need to worry about Humipacks and such anymore.......
Old 06-21-2016, 11:30 PM

There is no shame in loving wooden acoustics. The next guitar I buy will likely be wood. I have a couple good reasons for this;

1.) Like so many others I love the organic feel of wood- the textures, the tones, the character and the aging factor just can't be beat. Whether it is the breathy body of sitka over rosewood or the sweet whine of all mahogany, wood still has a place in my heart. Nothing is as intoxicating as opening a case of a fine wooden instrument.

2.) I already have a CF and I'm very happy with it. A wooden guitar would just compliment the set up if all you had were 2 guitars. If I had the money for more I would own more CF for sure- you just can't beat the benefits of it and they will only get better.

The video with the blind test just blew me away. I was right with the fingerstyle section but had the Martin HPL and the Stonebridge swapped in my mind with the strumming and the riff demo. But I could spot that RainSong in all three samples. Whether RainSong is your cup of tea or not, they sing in a league all their own, even the hybrids. They are just magical to my ears.
Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
There is no shame in loving wooden acoustics. The next guitar I buy will likely be wood. I have a couple good reasons for this;

1.) Like so many others I love the organic feel of wood- the textures, the tones, the character and the aging factor just can't be beat. Whether it is the breathy body of sitka over rosewood or the sweet whine of all mahogany, wood still has a place in my heart. Nothing is as intoxicating as opening a case of a fine wooden instrument.

2.) I already have a CF and I'm very happy with it. A wooden guitar would just compliment the set up if all you had were 2 guitars. If I had the money for more I would own more CF for sure- you just can't beat the benefits of it and they will only get better.

The video with the blind test just blew me away. I was right with the fingerstyle section but had the Martin HPL and the Stonebridge swapped in my mind with the strumming and the riff demo. But I could spot that RainSong in all three samples. Whether RainSong is your cup of tea or not, they sing in a league all their own, even the hybrids. They are just magical to my ears.
If I could add onto your thoughts steelvibe with a #3.

3.) Wood guitars sound evolves and "opens up" over time as CF is what it is....that is it's strength and weakness. Any one who has played some vintage martins can attest to this.

I tend to think of it this way..... I love the convenience of all my devices playing mp3s and ebooks but still have some special recordings in vinyl records and 1st edition books that I enjoy experiencing.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

I have room in my life for carbon fiber and wood guitars... don't always have room in the traveling conveyance for both.

Nice to have options.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber