The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 01:41 AM

Default Gibson horrible nuts???

I spent 90 min. trying out acoustics the other day. Of the ten guitars i tested I had to tune 9. Gibson j-35 and j45 had horrible "pings" comming from the nut. And this was a problem with both the G and b string on both guitars, a j15 had none of this.
None of the other guitars I tried had this and I tried several cheaper guitars: a few seagull sws, Eastmans, a cort luce 900, a richwood parlor, a taylor mini and a 12n academy. I also spent time with a 322 12 fret. (the seagull would have followed me home if it wasn't for the extreme baseball bat neck).

But Gibson and there nuts really let me down. Am I to picky? This is an easy fix for me (that played for a long time), but if i was fairly new to guitars and bought any of them I would have a guitar that went out of tune as soon as I touched the G or B string. Maybe this isn't a problem and a free setup is part of buying a Gibson.
Do you think this is acceptable when guitars costing 1/6 don't have this problem?

I watch reviews on the tube and everybody complementing Gibsons Montana plant and say that there quility is great nowdays, and I do believe them.

And not to forget. Recently I read that 50% of all fender guitars are sold online (no explanation if that was cheap squiers or custom shop). I myself live in rural sweden and my selection is rather slim. I have to buy a lot of my stuff online...

What is your thought of this?
Old 02-11-2019, 02:18 AM

The selection of Gibson acoustic guitars at my local shop is extremely slim right now but previously there was a more representative sample and I honestly had my heart set on purchasing one for my first American made all solid wood instrument but I always found them out of tune and some were difficult to tune, whether it be a binding nut or otherwise. There is a J-35 there now that has been in the showroom for almost two years and now offered at a significant discount that will not stay in tune. I don’t know if it’s the nut, the tuners (they look diminutive) or something more serious. I love Gibson but I haven’t had much luck.

You’re not alone.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 AM

Just wanted to add: on my last visit to the shop I found a new J-15 that checked all the right boxes for fit, finish, sound, and it was in tune! I’m set up with Martins now but otherwise I would have brought it home.

When they’re good, it’s a home run.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:51 AM

When I purchased my J-15 one string would not stay in tune, play a bend and it’s pitch was flat afterward. I replaced the strings and never had a problem with tune afterwards. Either the ball end of the string was not pulled up against the bridge plate when strings were installed or the string was unraveling at the ball end. BTW, the strings had colored ends so I presume the store replaced the OEM Gibson Masterbuilt strings.
Epiphone DR500mce
Epiphone Texan (old)
Plus an assortment of bass and electric guitars
Old 02-11-2019, 06:27 AM

My 2017 J45 stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever owned and the nut is perfect.
I don't know what to tell you.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 02-11-2019 at 06:41 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takamineGD93 View Post
There was nothing wrong with the nuts in all acoustic Gibsons I played in the shops, I also own Gibson J-45 Standard with black nut, no problem at all. I also have one Seagull and one Martin, to compare.

Try to move to another shop and play their Gibsons!
Old 02-11-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
I spent 90 min. trying out acoustics the other day. Of the ten guitars i tested I had to tune 9. Gibson j-35 and j45 had horrible "pings" comming from the nut. And this was a problem with both the G and b string on both guitars, a j15 had none of this.
None of the other guitars I tried had this and I tried several cheaper guitars: a few seagull sws, Eastmans, a cort luce 900, a richwood parlor, a taylor mini and a 12n academy. I also spent time with a 322 12 fret. (the seagull would have followed me home if it wasn't for the extreme baseball bat neck).

But Gibson and there nuts really let me down. Am I to picky? This is an easy fix for me (that played for a long time), but if i was fairly new to guitars and bought any of them I would have a guitar that went out of tune as soon as I touched the G or B string. Maybe this isn't a problem and a free setup is part of buying a Gibson.
Do you think this is acceptable when guitars costing 1/6 don't have this problem?

I watch reviews on the tube and everybody complementing Gibsons Montana plant and say that there quility is great nowdays, and I do believe them.

And not to forget. Recently I read that 50% of all fender guitars are sold online (no explanation if that was cheap squiers or custom shop). I myself live in rural sweden and my selection is rather slim. I have to buy a lot of my stuff online...

Maybe you need to seek the very high quality traditional shops that also sell online? A small local shop and the world-famous Dave's shops are near me. Both point out that attention they give to each instrument before it goes out the door makes a big difference.

Prices have climbed since I bought my Santa Cruz but your story also makes a good argument for pretty much all the Collings and Santa Cruz I've touched. Even if it's a model or design that's not of interest, they all seem to have that special super responsive nature and musical precision.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
…Do you think this is acceptable when guitars costing 1/6 don't have this problem?
Hi tGD93
Out of the box guitars are usually set up in the middle of possible directions one could take the setup. And they are strung with 'average' weight strings.

I'm not sure I've ever had a new (to me) guitar which did not go in for a setup, at which point the nut slot width/depth will be properly adjusted, intonation set, and the action adjusted to my playing style with new strings in the weight I prefer (while tuned to dropped D).

If the nut slots are a little tight for the strings out of the box, the tech can file them properly, and it's not going to require a new nut because it's too loose/sloppy.

Which is better? A guitar-on-the-wall of the shop which is setup perfectly for my style, or a guitar with average setup which leaves room for the tech to adjust it without changing parts?

It's a wash for me and no cause for concern.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Ive bought about a dozen Gibson acoustics. Only one had a nut issue. That's not bad in my book. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Maybe you need to seek the very high quality traditional shops that also sell online? A small local shop and the world-famous Dave's shops are near me. Both point out that attention they give to each instrument before it goes out the door makes a big difference.

Prices have climbed since I bought my Santa Cruz but your story also makes a good argument for pretty much all the Collings and Santa Cruz I've touched. Even if it's a model or design that's not of interest, they all seem to have that special super responsive nature and musical precision.
That's all well and good if you can afford those guitars. In my mind, they had better be flawless.
You are also very fortunate to have access to a shop with people that care. Do they sell new Gibson's?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM

This nut issue is just another bad topic about Gibsons I read these recent years. My local dealer sell almost any brand except Gibson...

But it is true that many brands will send guitars with a little higher action I need and I have to lower the action : It is not a real issue.

My other concern is that stores would not always make a correct set up...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I spent 90 min. trying out acoustics the other day. Of the ten guitars i tested I had to tune 9.

I've played literally thousands of guitars at shops and can count on one hand the number that were perfectly in tune. I would never expect a guitar hanging on a wall in a store to be perfectly in tune. They'd need an employee or two spending all day everyday just tuning. Temperature, people playing them, normal string stretching etc.... just happens.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:17 AM

My luthier told me a while back that tuning problems and tuning macine problems are 9 times out of 10 caused by issues with the nut.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That's all well and good if you can afford those guitars. In my mind, they had better be flawless.
You are also very fortunate to have access to a shop with people that care. Do they sell new Gibson's?
Yes, Dave's now has three stores in the region and there are others. Some of the Gibson & Martins are quite expensive. A dealer that doesn't have Gibsons does give every guitar some time between arrival and going up for sale. They're not as low cost as chains sell them from warehouses but they play well. I would pay that difference ahead of time vs take the risk of a guitar that might not be super even after it's had a setup.

It was years ago but my Santa Cruz was absolutely competitive with similar Martins as an example. It hung with Marquis series that I believe were like Modern Deluxe. It (my Santa Cruz) was more but not ridiculously more than what I think was a nice Gibson deluxe J-45.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
My 2017 J45 stays in tune better than any guitar I've ever owned and the nut is perfect.
I don't know what to tell you.
Same with my 2016 and 1952 for that matter. I haven't found QC issues with any of the new Gibsons that I've played in stores either.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion