The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM

Default LS Redwood

Can someone answer a few questions about LS redwood, which I understand is from a redwood tree struck by a lightning:
- is it supposed to sound better and why?
- what exactly is the Carter estate LS redwood?
- does it look differently? (pics)

and maybe also:
- What has the word 'lucky' to do with it if sth is struck by a lightning

Thanks

Karl
Old 06-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

It's all just a bunch of hype....

JUST KIDDING, many others know more than me and I'll let them give you the low down, but I can say it's some of the prettiest wood I have ever seen PERIOD... Many hand builders have made the statement that it sounds amazing....
Old 06-30-2009, 02:08 PM

I don't really know the story behind it (but would like to see it).

I am currently having a guitar built with LS redwood by Tim McKnight.

I listend to the "tap tone" of this redwood, and compared it to TA and TB (both are also Carter Estate redwoods, I believe), and some other "run of the mill" redwood.

The sustain was simply incredible on the LS, and the tone was very "deep", as well.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:11 PM

BTW, here's a thread on my current build with LS redwood:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=145817
Old 06-30-2009, 02:13 PM

Here's "the story" (or at least one version of it ) that I found on Google:

http://guitarbench.com/index.php/200...strike-guitar/

Quote:
Last year I was extremely fortunate and excited to obtain a stash of high grade Lucky Strike redwood tops from the Carters’ stash. This was an extremely rare find as the wood is highly sought after. Harvested from a naturally storm downed redwood in California, these tops are reknown for their tonal excellence and aesthetic properties.

Craig and Alica Carter, a remarkable husband and wife team were reknown for salvaging naturally fallen redwood trees. Often they would salvage logs from inhospitable terrain and private land to resaw into some of the finest redwood sets ever seen in the lutherie community. ‘Lucky Strike’ is the name Craig gave to a log he thought of as almost, if not truly perfect for guitar tops.

Craig found the Lucky Strike log in north-facing easement in a redwood forest. It fell over a small depression, suspending a segment of the log, allowing it to naturally ‘air dry’. In Autumn of 1993, Craig started to salvage a portion approximately 60 feet long, 3 feet in diameter and the final harvesting was completed by Alicia carter and neighbours in 1997. Craig cut soundboards from the segments as early as 1994.

Hank Mauel, luthier and friend of the Carters says: “Soundboards from this log have been made into fine steel string (including arch top) and classical guitars. Smaller billets have produced mandolins, as well. Stiffness to weight ratio is said to be excellent; grain pattern and coloration generally even, very straight, with lots of “silk.” Sound characteristics combine the warmth of cedar with the clarity and color of spruce with an added “sparkle”. This log set very high standards for redwood soundboards – ones almost impossible to match. Craig cut into over 100 downed logs before he found one – the LS — that met his exacting standards.”

Almost every LS topped guitar I have played has exhibited astounding EQ and efficiency. The trebles in every model are spetacular with a liquid-silver like property.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

This particular wood is said to be astoundingly heavy as well. This helps account for some of its positive properties such as long sustain and brilliant treble, but makes it something of a challenge to get some other desirable properties, rich midrange and a loose bass response are foremost in my mind.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:01 PM

Barre None the LS redwood tops are the best I have ever seen. If the best redwood tops are a "10" these are at least a "13".

They are just so musical. When you touch them they burst with sound they are so alive.

I measure all of my redwood and I have not noticed them to be more dense than other redwood, but they are very stiff.

I have lots of redwood from a number of sources, other Carter trees, sinker, ... all of it. LS is truly in a class by itself.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Poling View Post
Barre None the LS redwood tops are the best I have ever seen. If the best redwood tops are a "10" these are at least a "13".
I wonder how much variation there is within the tree?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:13 PM

That is hard to say. I have 13 sets of it left (down from 20 sets), and they are all very similar. Most are master grade sets with a couple of AAA in the mix. They are all very similar, but I can't speculate how the rest of the tree was.

However, I would wager a steak dinner I could pick these 13 out of the pile blind folded. They are just really special.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

While I did meet Craig years ago when he was selling this material at an NCAL meeting in my shop, I had no interest in Redwood at that time and I don't think I've ever handled the LS material. My information about its weight comes from other experienced builders in my area who offered it up when I tried to buy one of these tops for a commission earlier this year. I went with another Redwood instead. It is very interesting to hear a qualified contrary opinion. There's always next time!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 PM

Brock, if I will ever make it to Ohio I am easily going to risk the steak dinner (just because the bet is not high enough to scare me, but I do believe you, of course).

So if this is truly outstanding the way it's described here, why do people spend thousands on back and sides rather than investing $$$ - $$$$ in an LS top? (Assuming that the top makes 80% of the tone?)

And do I really understand correctly, it is just ONE log?

Anyone have a picture of an LS top?

Brock, is the picture on your website with "the tree" b&s an LS top?

Karl
Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Anyone have a picture of an LS top?l
LOTS of pictures here:

http://www.neonlightsimaging.com/McK...redwood_Build/
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:

Karl
Here's a few pictures of my LS Redwood/Brazilian Doerr...

...and I think it sounds better than it looks!

Vic
Old 06-30-2009, 07:46 PM

That's an amazing guitar, Vic. Congratulations.

So does anyone know how many guitar sets Carter made out of this log?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Brock, if I will ever make it to Ohio I am easily going to risk the steak dinner (just because the bet is not high enough to scare me, but I do believe you, of course).

So if this is truly outstanding the way it's described here, why do people spend thousands on back and sides rather than investing $$$ - $$$$ in an LS top? (Assuming that the top makes 80% of the tone?)

And do I really understand correctly, it is just ONE log?

Brock, is the picture on your website with "the tree" b&s an LS top?

Karl
Yes, that is an LS top on that guitar.

The LS is just one log.

Part of the cost of the LS upgrade is the fact that it is incredible tonewood, and part of the cost is the scarcity. It is impossible to get more sets, as builders we simply can't replace anything we use from our stash.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion