The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-03-2019, 07:13 AM

Default Threaded Rod Gobar Deck

I made this Gobar deck a few years ago and it has again proven to be a very good design. I was going to buy a traditional Gobar deck but thought that the flexible rods would be very hit or miss. I probably spent less than $300 on everything, minus the Sjobergs bench of course. It is completely adjustable for height and the rods when cut for specific applications can be adjusted within 1 1/2" with the threaded ends.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:42 AM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I have one built with threaded rod, but not as nice as yours and it still works with fibreglass rods rather than threaded rods to apply clamping pressure. That looks like it would be a very nice setup to use!
Old 03-03-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
Very cool! Thanks for sharing. I have one built with threaded rod, but not as nice as yours and it still works with fibreglass rods rather than threaded rods to apply clamping pressure. That looks like it would be a very nice setup to use!
In a pinch I make custom size rods out of dowels. I should get some fiberglass rods to have on hand. I tested the pressure I can get with these threaded rods and it is quite a bit.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

It’s very nice looking. Can you describe how you adjust the tension on each rod?
Old 03-09-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
It’s very nice looking. Can you describe how you adjust the tension on each rod?
The ends of each rod has a threaded rod coupler on it. You can turn those and get up to an inch and a 1/2 of varying length. It works great
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Very nice work. I may copy idea, as I want a better set up myself. I am using fiberglass rod the kind Lowes would sell to mark your driveway for plowing... they can be a bit slippery to use and I would hate to gouge a back or top.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:47 AM

That's a great set up. I'm still using clamps but have been giving thought to a go bar deck.
Old 03-10-2019, 12:02 PM

Great looking shop! Ingenuity is the mother of invention. Congratulations, you’re taking that to another level. I have a Golf Shop and have had to “invent” many tools to make my work better and easier.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Very impressive! Of course, a big difference between threaded steel and bent fiberglass (or wood) rods is the threaded rods develop variable pressure dependant on how hard you clamp them with the screw adjustment, and the bent rods develop a fairly consistent pressure regardless (within reason) of how bent they are. There is no reason you can't be fairly consistent with clamping technique, and you have the advantage of going choosing to go fairly hard if needed, or quite light if that is appropriate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair