The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-10-2014, 07:50 AM

Books have been written, you tube videos can be a boon, but there is no replacement for direct instruction from a master.

A kit with detailed plans will help you with your first build. Unless you have a mature understanding of how the structure (strength) of the guitar and structure as relates to sound projection and harmonic balance, then I would strongly recommend you stick as close to the plans as possible.

In future builds, if you want to stretch out in different ways with an altered design, it can be invaluable to study a variety of successful designs and consider their soundboard structure as a whole, and try to understand how the structure relates to the sound of the instrument. (Hands on with the guitar is best.)

If you are not close to a master builder who can offer you lessons, you may even be able to hire someone to give you lessons or coaching sessions via internet video-phone.

I have seen several first guitars and guitars built by infrequent builders that could easily have had many rough edges (fret-work, neck-body joinery, bridge-soundboard joinery, etc) improved by direct instruction by a master.

If you must do it all on your own, make certain to gather a critical mass of information on the various processes and design reasoning before beginning your project.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 08-10-2014, 08:10 AM

I have built four with a lot of help from John Hall and the many forums and the internet. I had woodworking experience so my first took about 50 hours to assemble, then another 50 to put a French Polish finish on. A year and half later, that first guitar still impresses the heck out of me - sounds great, easy to play - the equal of most guitars I have played - and a totally random experience.

Much encouraged, I built another with a bit more bling on it, but this one hasn't got the character of the first. My third was more bling yet and it is truly fantastic. Fourth is not so great yet.

So #1 and #3 are the same body shape - maybe I was meant to build that guitar for the rest of my life!

Moral of the story - this is LOADS of fun but you will have to build a lot of guitars before you can do predictable things, and that's what makes a luthier, IMHO.

Ed
Old 08-10-2014, 12:04 PM

Default first project

We don't know where the OP is located. I think Mr. Milburn's advice is absolutely right. If he's in a position to make his way to upstate New York and spend a week or so working under oversight in a luthier's shop for his first project, he can get his first guitar built without an investment in tools. Awfully economical in time and cash, all things considered, and it's a week or so in a working shop with experts in a beautiful part of the country. Lifetime of good memories. I did just that and I encourage it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair