The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 AM

Default first diy acoustic guitar how to start ?

wow... after seeing so many beautiful acoustic guitars at the custom section i wonder is there anybody here actually started building his or her own acoustic without any learning experience ?

maybe someone without wood working experiences are there any advise on where to starr off with ? i be happy if i can build a decent sounding and looking acoustic of my own.. i bet the best kit would be dan erlewine acoustic kit offering ar stewac ?
Old 08-04-2014, 07:57 AM

hop: Everyone who builds their first guitar does so without the experience of building their first guitar...??? Most of the guitars that you see in the custom section are built by folks with a fair amount of experience. Most of them with quite a bit of experience. Just a couple of points to take out of this, a lot of things depend on the level of your hand skills, even if you don't have any woodworking skills. Also don't expect or try to build your masterpiece in your first build. Guitar building in my mind can be broken into two parts ,the carpentry and the artistic. In the carpentry one cuts and shapes the wood and puts it together so it looks like a guitar. In the artistic part one does what is required to make the guitar sound like a good guitar. Your first guitars should be about carpentry. While learning the process start thinking ahead a number of steps as to the consequences of each individual step you take. Don't try to reinvent the guitar, get a good book or plan and work to it. If you are going to use a kit may I suggest John Hall of Blues Creek Guitars. John is open to offering help through the process. Check out the Official Luthiers Forum , lots of info especially in the archives. Read, Read, Read and Read some more. Finally, see if there is someone locally who can help you. Good luck and have fun, hope it works out for you.
Tom
Old 08-04-2014, 08:16 AM

Good advice, Tom.

I'd like to reiterate that, unless one is particularly gifted, it is unrealistic to expect a first guitar to look or sound like those showcased in the Custom section, which are generally made by professional makers with decades of experience.

It is realistic to expect a first guitar to look pretty good, but for minor cosmetic flaws, and to play and sound well.

Another option for you might be to take a hands-on course with someone. There are now many hands-on courses offered, ranging from a week to 3 months or longer - nearly something for everyone. Doing so, nearly guarantees you a good outcome and reduces much of the need to read, read, read and experience trial and error and the potential frustration with which it is fraught.

Yet another options is video instruction. Robbie O'Brien's course, for example, looks particularly good.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:16 AM

thank you Tom for the nice encouraging words i shall settle for a martin kit first :-) ... till then but any essential tools i would need to purchase when starting off my first martin kit ?
Old 08-04-2014, 11:39 AM

For a first build, I'd recommend getting Cumpiano's book. Best book for a first acoustic build using mostly hand tools, there's good info about what tools you'll need. Starting with a kit is a good idea, I'll also recommend Bluescreek.
The Gore/Gilet book is better, but it's more advanced and expensive, and well worth the cost if you're serious about building.
et al
Old 08-04-2014, 12:04 PM

i may wanna start off at the most minimum for tools... as i dont know yet if its really my new hobby or cup of tea... unless i have no difficulty on my first diy... i probably do few kits and till then try to mock up on various kit parts... ? i have no workshop but a cosy home and my work area will have to be my room ... lol maybe sanding takes else where outside the open field ... ?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 PM

All good advice. Check out the Guitar makers connection, they have some really nice kits available.

And don't forget to have fun.

SA
Old 08-04-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopkinWFG View Post
i may wanna start off at the most minimum for tools... as i dont know yet if its really my new hobby or cup of tea... unless i have no difficulty on my first diy... i probably do few kits and till then try to mock up on various kit parts... ? i have no workshop but a cosy home and my work area will have to be my room ... lol maybe sanding takes else where outside the open field ... ?
Cumpiano`s methods can be done with a minimum of tools. Although the more you do by hand, the more skill necessary - skills that will help should you obtain power tools...
Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM

Default books

Cumpiano's book contains a whole lot of advice about building parts that don't need building. Bill Cory's books offer another view of the process.

Does the first attempt need to be scratchbuilt, or does a a kit satisfy the need to build?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Cumpiano's book contains a whole lot of advice about building parts that don't need building. Bill Cory's books offer another view of the process.

Does the first attempt need to be scratchbuilt, or does a a kit satisfy the need to build?
i guess i just wanna task myself few easy job upon completion before i can look at shaping form of wood plank and to even building a neck... there always a satisfying results when you see the guitar taking form and then complete..
Old 08-05-2014, 07:54 AM

Besides Stewmac and John Hall, LMI has a "kit wizard" where you can select different woods and appointments. They also offer 2 styles of kits - one easier than the other. They are called "serviced" and "unserviced" and you can see the difference on their web site.
John also runs the Kit Guitars Forum where a lot of new people get tons of help. There are many build threads, and some really nice folks.
On my first kit, I think I spent about as much on tools as I did on the kit itself. It was a Stewmac kit btw and came out pretty well considering it was my first.
Best of luck, you'll find it's a lot of fun.
Bob
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 AM

wow... you just got me back on track after thinking that i may have to buy a mould set, a side bender , some clamps and the stilts to support the voicing pattern ... its indeed a heavy investment ...

am from singapore and think all we do is to watch and get learny on clips from youtube haha...i try :-)
Old 08-08-2014, 04:08 AM

If you go through someone like John Hall you can have him do whatever steps you don't feel comfortable with. Want to bend your own sides but are intimidated by a neck? Don't yet have a rosette jig? Want to make your own kerfing? Would like to try gluing the plates together yourself?

And what if you want a serviced kit but don't want a dred or a 000? Don't want mahogany or rosewood? Someone like John has the forms to bend sides for hundreds of different guitars, and if he doesn't have it, he makes it.

My first was a mid-20's Gibson L-1 - I had the sides bent, the plates glued, and the neck made. I have now made 4 and doing more on my own each time. And still no dreds but I did build a 12 fret 000 with deep body. And I sent John my own Osage Orange to bend for my last one.

Ed
Old 08-09-2014, 08:17 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Do you want to do it all? Taste the experience full on? Or ease into it? Thats the question. I have said it before, I'll say it again:You do not build a Bass Boat, build a fishing rod.... to save money on fish.
Great advise above. You can build a guitar with a dead tree, pocket knife, a metal pipe and a camp fire. (Haven't done that method).
However, tooling up can really cost you. Thats where John Hall and some others come in. They can cut out so many needed tools. John is incredible at walking you through the steps you need help with.
BTW I do know some serious pro's that still use a heated rod or pipe to bend the sides.
Its about the journey, its not about the destination.
If it is about the destination buy a $400 guitar and play. Build one and you get hooked.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Do you want to do it all? Taste the experience full on? Or ease into it? Thats the question. I have said it before, I'll say it again:You do not build a Bass Boat, build a fishing rod.... to save money on fish.
Great advise above. You can build a guitar with a dead tree, pocket knife, a metal pipe and a camp fire. (Haven't done that method).
However, tooling up can really cost you. Thats where John Hall and some others come in. They can cut out so many needed tools. John is incredible at walking you through the steps you need help with.
BTW I do know some serious pro's that still use a heated rod or pipe to bend the sides.
Its about the journey, its not about the destination.
If it is about the destination buy a $400 guitar and play. Build one and you get hooked.
yup I will eventually get a kit off and learn how to assemble it soon after getting a yamaha LJ6 I got quite a hang of it ... soon as I get it I will continue to post for guidance here ... Thanks a lot for your help ☺but I still not sure of the most basic tools I would need to assemble a day dreadnought kit ?

Last edited by hopkinWFG; 08-09-2014 at 10:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair