The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Default Anyone Record Video/Audio on their IPad?

Does anyone have a interface solution for an iPad? I already have a small mixer and some mics. I’d like to take the stereo out from the mixer. Irig? This iPad does not have the 1/8 inch audio input it has the other power input. Looks like I have the lightning input. I’d like to keep things simple. Thanks

Last edited by arashaw; 06-17-2019 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
Does anyone have a interface solution for an iPad? I already have a small mixer and some mics. I’d like to take the stereo out from the mixer. Irig? This iPad does not have the 1/8 inch audio input it has the other power input. Looks like I have the lightning input. I’d like to keep things simple. Thanks
Hi arashaw

Presonus, Tascam, Focusrite, & Behringer, all have decent interfaces for iOS devices.

It is very easy to get good simple recordings of guitar or guitar and voice with iOS devices.

Most of the zoom series digital recorders (H1n, H2n, H4n, H5 & H6) can serve as interfaces. If your mics are XLR then record directly to the recorder. The H4-5-6 all have dual XLR inputs and can serve as the interface to the computer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 06-17-2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: keep it simple
Old 06-17-2019, 05:18 PM

JL- cool to hear you can use the zoom as an interface. I have a couple questions if you don’t mind ...

1. Will I still need some kind of special iOS cable to attach the zoom to the iPad?

2. Can I run the zoom microphones into the iPad if I don’t use my own external microphones?

3. Is it worth just getting an all-in-one zoom audio camera recorder?

4. Is there syncing of audio and video after the recording or does this happen automatically?
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
JL- cool to hear you can use the zoom as an interface. I have a couple questions if you don’t mind ...

1. Will I still need some kind of special iOS cable to attach the zoom to the iPad?

2. Can I run the zoom microphones into the iPad if I don’t use my own external microphones?

3. Is it worth just getting an all-in-one zoom audio camera recorder?

4. Is there syncing of audio and video after the recording or does this happen automatically?
Hi arashaw

I think i misunderstood your original post. If you are wanting to record to the iPad there are solutions, but to mix on the iPad has been tedious, time consuming, and frankly much harder than just using my computers.

The Zoom recorders are capable of being interfaces to computers, but I'm not aware they can interface with iOS devices. Sorry I misunderstood what you are trying to accomplish. Perhaps someone else can offer advice.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-17-2019, 09:31 PM

JL- No worries. I’m kinda thinking about the zoom Q2n..

Last edited by arashaw; 06-17-2019 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:52 AM

zoom u24 can work. but you'd need an adapter cable.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
zoom u24 can work. but you'd need an adapter cable.
Hi hazmuz

Two problems with lightning cables…

Many adapters or cables we need do not exist.

Some are not Apple certified and will not work for recording video or audio.

There is one interface which has 2 CLR inputs to lightning out, and it costs nearly $200 USD.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-18-2019, 02:27 PM

JL- Exactly what I was worried about. Proprietary and cost. Seems like the Irig is a cheap solution for iPad iOS etc. I’ve been using an iPhone/Irig/small mixer/mics and it works pretty good... just thought there might be some other interfaces w iOS.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:44 PM

hi LJ,
i personally have no experience with iOS interfaces, but looking for an interface for my godson who wants to use his iPad for recording i saw this (for a simpler model):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MabhDgbzQoY

and i thought it might work. it looks like the camera kit i think.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 AM

I just ordered a used Apogee One for Mac, iPhone and iPad from Reverb for $150. It’s a few years old now, but it has an onboard internal condenser mic, can be battery powered or corded, has one phantom powered XLR and one 1/4” jack that can record simultaneously. It has professional sound quality and can be completely mobile in battery power mode. When it’s plugged in, it charges the iPhone or iPad. You can get 30 pin, lightning, or usb-c cables for it. There are also several Apogee one models, so if you decide on this, make sure you order the one for iPad. I haven’t used it yet, but I should get it next week and can report back.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazmuz View Post
hi LJ,
i personally have no experience with iOS interfaces, but looking for an interface for my godson who wants to use his iPad for recording i saw this (for a simpler model):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=MabhDgbzQoY

and i thought it might work. it looks like the camera kit i think.
Hi h

Yes that did use a Camera Kit interface to one of those BIG USB cables for input.

And since the Zoom can be battery powered that would work.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi h

Yes that did use a Camera Kit interface to one of those BIG USB cables for input.

And since the Zoom can be battery powered that would work.

thank you for clarification. he'll be happy to hear that

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD