The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-10-2002, 11:58 AM

Now THIS is a tough question.

First concert - Artful Dodger(?) and Rush warming up for Ted Nugent in January '77/Kansas City.

Surreal/Odd Event #1 - Whitford St. Holmes warming up for Blue Oyster Cult in October '81/Springfield MO. We were all huge BOC and Aerosmith fans and had 7th row seats. Obviously, no one else in the crowd had heard of Whitford St. Holmes except for us. They started to play, we started getting into it and singing along. The band recognized our recognition and acknowledged it throughout their whole show. Blue Oyster Cult was/is a very good live act and did a heck of a show.

Surreal/Odd Event #2 - Uriah Heep several years ago at the Uptown in Kansas City. Front row, banging on the stage and having a good time. Mick Box brought out a tray of beers from backstage and sat one in front of each of us.

Jaw-Drop Playing - Blizzard of Ozz in July '81 at Memorial Hall in Kansas City. Maybe 600 people showed up. We were up-front and watched Randy Rhoads do things that had us shaking our heads. Another one gone way too soon.

Recent Fun - Jimmy Eat World, Green Day and Blink-182 at Sandstone/Verizon in May '02 at Sandstone/Verizon here in KC. It was my first real show in years after having to sit through NSync, Britney Spears and such. Daughter wanted to go to this and I was more than happy to take her. Green Day was great. They worked the crowd. They had energy. They had fun. Blink-182 was horrible. Their guitar player came out with a Taylor that had some choice words scrawled in the top with what appeared to be big Sharpie markers. That desecration was the icing on the cake for a bad show from them.

For solo performances, Todd Rundgren in October '83 and a Mike Keneally clinic in May '01 were the best. If you haven't listened to any of Keneally's music, you're missing out.

Great topic. It's been fun reading it and I'm sure I'll remember something else about five minutes after hitting the "post" button.

Jim

"No don't walk that way....there's nothing there" - M. Keneally
Old 10-11-2002, 07:37 AM

Guy Clark, everytime I see him.
Old 10-11-2002, 08:08 AM

In (I think) 1986 I was going to Montreal to visit my sister. I had asked her to scout out any good concerts that might be on during my visit. She let me know that, unfortunately, there were no good concerts scheduled, only some guy named Michael Hedges at a club called Le Spectrum. It was truly an amazing show.

Paul Simon on the Rhythm of the Saints tour. I have never heard such good quality sound in our local 10,000 seat arena, and we were right in front of the stage for most of the show.

I saw the Tragically Hip in a small (200 people) club just as they released Up To Here. I saw John Hiatt at the same club.

Just down the road from that club was a pub where my coworkers and I used to go for a cold one at the end of the day. One Monday evening a blind guitarist by the name of Jeff Healey was doing a soundcheck. I went back for every show that week with no cover!

I saw Rush on the Farewell to Kings tour with Max Webster and Ian Thomas opening. Max Webster was an amazing highly underrated band!

I witnessed Kiss with Cheap Trick opening. A 14 year-old's idea of heaven!

I got to see Supertramp twice - Crime of the Century and Brother Where You Bound? The second concert they were blown off the stage by the opener, Lawrence Gowan (now with Styx).

Others include Bowie, Zappa, Dire Straits, Peter Gabriel, Springsteen, and Sting. Over the years there have been few dogs. Most notably however was Aerosmith at the height of their drug abuse - I swear they were all playing different songs at the same time!
Old 10-11-2002, 09:19 AM

I think my fav. ever was Jars of Clay/shaun groves/Jennifer Knapp.....it was total magic....man talk about a faith fire overload! wooo!

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 10-12-2002, 01:12 AM

I'm in awe of a lot of the responses here. Unfortunately, I was just a mere toddler in the early '70s, so I missed out on all the best stuff, and havent seen very many shows. Some of the shows that stand out in my mind are:

Pink Floyd at Yankee Stadium, July 1994.
Musically speaking, it was pretty mediocre. Long gone were the days of the spontaneous, experimental Floyd. This homogenized incarnation of the Floyd syncronized this event like a well oiled machine: you had dirigibles flying around oinking, animation projected onto a massive round screen, humungous lasers designed by NASA space center, pyrotechnics erupting all over the place, and electrodes on your seat to give you a jolt to let you know when to clap (just kidding). I dont know how the Bronx didn't lose power that night, but it was the most spectacular thing I've ever seen.

King Crimson at the Longacre theater, 1995?

Seeing six of the most gifted musicians I've ever heard perform as a double trio will always stand out as one of my most favorite performances. I will always remember the moment during Thrak when the band launched itself collectively into a free-form improvisation. I was six rows away from the stage and I could see that there were no visible cues from anyone. The lights grew dim, their eyes seemed to grow distant, and their hands appeared to move on auto-pilot. Very wierd, and very amazing.

YES...just this past summer at Jones Beach Theater.

I saw the Masterworks show at Radio City in 2001, but I thought this show with Rick Wakeman rejoining was even better. I heard some people ask aloud, "Yes doesn't have an opening act? That can't be right: they're much too old." Yes came onstage a little after 8pm and played till 11pm, with no more than a ten minute intermission in between. Some of the younger crowd that were expecting to hear stuff from 90125 were visibly disappointed when Yes began playing side-long epics from albums such as Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer. I secretly took great pleasure in that. Yes played the most stunningly beautiful version of Awaken I've ever heard. Nearly 20 minutes later, a woman sitting in front of me lifted her head from her hands and said to her boyfriend: "Are they still playing the same song?" It was a hypnotic, enthralling concert and a beautiful venue.
Old 10-15-2002, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jif6251

Surreal/Odd Event #1 - Whitford St. Holmes warming up for Blue Oyster Cult in October '81/Springfield MO.

How's this for weird-----I saw that same tour in Springfield, MASS. I actually have pictures somewhere...

I remember Derek St Holmes from his work with Nugent....

I actually met Brad Whitford a couple of years ago (my brother-in-law worked on his new house)-----I told him I remembered seeing him in that band and he just laughed and shook his head.

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 10-16-2002, 08:47 AM

I can't narrow it down to one but here's a small list:

1. Alison Krauss and Union Station at the Ryman in Nashville. We saw them just before we found out my wife was pregnant, (spring 2000) and then in fall 2001 as our first big outing without the baby. What a great band and great room.

2. Phil Keaggy band, 1995 in suburban Kansas City. Phil, Wade Jaynes on bass and John Sferra on drums. What a phenomenal show. I've seen Keaggy problably 12-15 times and this was my favorite. On the side a local artist named Jennifer Knapp opened the show.

3. Kings X, Detroit, 1992 on the "Kings X" tour. They came on just before 10 in a club and played for 2 1/2 hours. Phenomenal.

There are a bunch of others as well (DC Talk's supernatural tour was a great show, Nickel Creek at the Ryman in the summer of 2001) but I'll stick with these.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:19 AM

2001 Eric Clapton - Pepsi Arena Albany, NY

1997 Buddy Guy - The Egg Albany, NY

2000 Doyle Dykes - Clifton Park, NY

1983 38 Special - Saratoga Performing Arts Center Saratoga, NY

1972 Johnny Cash - RPI Field House Troy, NY

1991 - Eric Clapton - Hartford Civic Center

1985 - Blackfoot - Hulla Balloo Rensellaer, NY

Dave
Old 10-16-2002, 11:35 AM

Are there any Grateful Dead Fans here?
Only the greated JAM band ever. With Jerry Garcia
at the lead guitar helm!

This will explain everything! I am a
Deadhead! but I also love all the music that influenced
them like blugrass, country, blues, folk etc...
Old 10-16-2002, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by theotherone
Are there any Grateful Dead Fans here?
YES! Former Deadhead here...saw them quite a few times between 1970 and 1977...

but....favorite concert? Jimi. Saw him in NYC in 1967...I was a pimply faced kid...ran home and got a $10 electric guitar, plugged it into the record player and serenaded my ever-patient parents with "Hey Joe" and "The Wind Cries Mary" as loud as that sucker would go...

I'm tellin ya it ain't easy to get the same kind of screaming feedback from a 4" speaker that Hendrix got from his four Marshall stacks...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification