The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2002, 01:03 PM

Toad the Wet Sprocket- 1993 Newport Music Hall Columbus, OH
My first real concert with friends. Really fun.

Mortal- 1995 The Flood Zone Richmond, VA
A "spiritual" experience. My all time favorite "rock" concert.

The Tallis Scholars- 1997 Camp Memorial Hall University of Richmond, Va
Simply amazing. Got to do a choral master class with their director too!!

U2- 2001 Nationwide Coliseum
I had waited my whole life to see U2.

614CE Quilted, Amber
Old 09-19-2002, 02:58 PM

Okay,

I think mine would have to be stumbling across a free outdoor concert by Danny Gatton while on vacation in Washington DC in the early 90's. At the time, I didn't know who he was as I settled in right up against the stage in front of him. Over the next hour, I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY!

After he finished I walked up to him on the street and said "Who ARE you and where have you been hiding?!?" I then asked him if he had a cd out to which he replied "88 Elmira Street" I thought he was giving me an address to find his music!! Of course, that was the name of his latest release...

I still have the poster I tore off of the light pole so I wouldn't forget his name...

BTW- Second place would be Van Halen's 1981 Fair Warning Tour...they were kings of the rock world and I walked out of that show feeling indestructible. How's that for a change of pace?

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 09-19-2002, 03:14 PM

Thumbs up

Great thread... number one best concert I have ever seen was my Senior year in high school. I saw a triple bill of bands at this total dive in darkest Hollywood - Primus opened, followed by the Pixies... topped by Janes Addiction

The Pixies and Primus were relatively unheard of - Jane's was just going big outside of LA. That was a night of ultra-violence - but great music... I spent the evening shimmied up onto a column, clinging on for dear life and trying not to get pulled down into the meat grinding mosh pit. I'm a wuss, and I like listening to music when I go to concerts rather than getting beat up

Second place, the Dave Matthews Band with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones opening - epic 26 minute jam with both bands on #41.

Tom
1997 815ce Custom Shop
Old 09-19-2002, 03:38 PM

1. Michael Hedges w/Michael Manring. Dinkelspiel Auditorium, Stanford University, 1989.
2. Pierre Bensusan, with Hedges and Manring as surprise opening acts. Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, 1989.
3. The Police, Oingo Boingo, and Madness. Synchronicity Tour. Aztec Bowl, SDSU, 1984.
4. Shawn Colvin. Humphrey's Concerts, San Diego, 2001.
5. Michael Hedges and Leo Kottke. Humphrey's Concerts, San Diego, 1989.

Been to lots of lousy concerts, and many that were far too loud. Most were decent.

John
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 PM

Eagles. At the Tacoma Dome in Washington State in 1994. Best concert I've ever been to, and I've been to a bunch of them.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:38 PM

I probably haven't been to more than a dozen concerts or so.. some awful (Linda Ronstadt because it was way too hot and she was way too preachy about her political views), some fun (CSN -- unfortunately no Y), but my two favorites were James Taylor a few years ago and Sarah McLachlan. Sarah's concert was for Fumbling Towards Ecstasy in a relatively small venue before that album had even gone gold. She wasn't that well known yet and it was just a great experience. I saw her since at Lilith Fair, but that was a weird experience. I never saw so many women in the same place who looked like they could beat the crap out of me...
Old 09-19-2002, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JasonA
I never saw so many women in the same place who looked like they could beat the crap out of me...

That happened to me at a Melissa Etheridge concert where the women comandeered the men's bathroom. I walked in and they said "get out of our bathroom!" I told them, "When you figure out how to use the toilet mounted on the wall, I'll leave, until then, this is still the men's room"

It was funny until I was in a compromising position with my back to them...

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 09-19-2002, 06:00 PM

Pat Metheny(7 times),Michael Lorimar,Christopher Parkening,Jimmy Buffett(3),Bob Seger(3),Vince Gill,Harry Chapin(2),Keb Mo,James Taylor,Mary Chapin Carpenter,B.B. King,Robert Cray,Billy Joel,The Police,Stevie Ray Vaughn(2),Tom Petty............
Old 09-19-2002, 06:22 PM

Jackson Browne/Linda Ronstadt back in the early '70's

An all nighter in Lawrence Kansas years ago with Earl Scruggs, Tracy Nelson & Mother Earth, Doc Watson, David Bromberg, Nitty Gritty Dirty Band and a couple others...

Yoda
Old 09-19-2002, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Dad
Queen

Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey
Summer, 1984

Freddy Mercury was in his absolute prime.
I absolutly agree that freddy was at his prime. What a voice this guy had!!! JW
Old 09-19-2002, 10:26 PM

for me im gonna have to say(i cant pick one):

Zao - Cornerstone 2002- that was amazing, it started at 12:00 am and went for about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. they are going to be braking up and it was great to see them live before thier end. (even tho the lead singer was on his back most of the time)

Living Sacrifice - Cornerstone 2002- this one started like Zao's at 12:00 am and went for about 1 1/2 hours. i love this band and it was great to see them live. they have 2 drummers(ones titled 'percusion') and its awesome to see how they work together w/ the different time signatures they have.

Five Iron Frenzie - Cornerstone 2002- this was the second time i had seen them and its always great to go to thier show. its always going to have some clean humor in it. also its a great way to skank w/ alot of ska fans(to 'skank' is to thrust ones legs out from undrneath you, and accomplish this in a rhythem(sp?)). it started w/ 5 or 7 people skanking first and at the end of the concert it grew to 30/40 people. it was great.

lastly, the Passion worship tour - year 2000 i think- this was the single best worship experience ive ever had. truly amazing. cant explain how good it was.
epiphone les paul blue ltd electric
traynor ycv80q guitar amp
Old 09-20-2002, 10:53 AM
More guitars than talent

Christian band: 2000 small theater with David Wilcox, Burlap to Cashmer and Jars of Clay. Burlap was a big surprise, they were so cool. The guitarist played an incredible mix of styles. They have splintered - singer and others, but the remaining ones are working on a CD now. The samples don't sound near as good. The guitarist is still there tho.

Christian solo: Phil Keaggy 2001 solo acoustic. Need I say more.

Secular: Cheap Trick in 1981. Rick Nielson is such a joy to listen to and watch playing his guitars. Close runner-up - Bela Fleck and the Flectones a couple months ago. Fifth time I've seen them.

01 Taylor 814ce, 05 Taylor T5 Maple, 78 Ovation 10th Anniversary, Larrivee L03-12RE

98 American strat, 06 Gibson LP Supreme, 05 Gadow Custom Single, 05 Gadow Custom Hollow, 04 Agile Goldtop, 05 Variax 600, 03 Splatter Strat, 04 Homebuilt Tele, Dillion John Lennon model, Gibson Flying V, Agile Valkyrie SG
Old 09-20-2002, 12:49 PM

Well, before yesterday it would have been someone else, but now it's Tommy Emmanuel. It was just him and his guitars. What an unbelievable player. As I stated in a different thread, if you get the chance to see him, DO IT !!!! Chet Atkins called him the greatest guitarist in the world. That is quite a compliment. After almost every song that he played, you would see people just shaking their heads. What a performer !!!!

( @ )===:::
Old 09-20-2002, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meridian
Gotta be The Who premiering "Tommy" at The Fillmore East in 1969.
Oh, man! You and my husband would have a lot to talk about. He lived in San Francisco in 1969 and spent a lot of time at Fillmore West. He was at Altamont, too.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:17 PM

It's hard to pick just one. Some of the notable ones include:

Seeing U2 play for free at a school cafeteria in early '81, just after they released their first album. I don't think Bono was even shaving yet. You could tell that night they were going to go far.

Every Elvis Costello concert I've ever been to, 1979 to present.

Late 70's, Patti Smith Group; she pulled out an acoustic guitar during an intermission and sang "You Light up my Life." THAT was surreal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification