The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-18-2002, 03:18 PM

Default What's Your Favorite Concert Experience EVER!

Okay folks,

This one sprung in my head as I was chiming in on the Rush concert thread. My guess is that a lot of us have plenty of miles under our wheels and more than our fair share of interesting concert stories.

But, if you had to chood just ONE, what was your FAVORITE concert and WHY?

I've got to think about this a while, I'll post mine later!

PS- Don't be afraid to date yourself here...we're all friends!

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 09-18-2002, 03:32 PM

Don Ross for shure. I don't think you see many 17 year olds that enjoy Don Ross. Maybe I'm a geezer on the inside.

it was at a clinic....but a concert atmosphere. not to many people tho. he is just amazing. I got to talk to him, get a free tab book, play his 7 string guitar...I think it's a lowden (right?) it was the first time I had seen a 7 string guitar. he said he even had an eight. it wasn't like the jumping up and hollar type...best fingerpicking artist I've ever seen...probably most influential artist for me. I just sat there in awe...at one point I stood up in the middle of the performance in the middle of about 100 people just o get a look at his lightning fingers.

he also taught me a really cool thing I could do with an upside down capo...or the custom half capos that only cover the A, D, and G strings.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:36 PM

Last year I attended a Bebo Norman Concert. it was held at a very large church in S.A.

Everything was going great and the guys were jamming when all of a sudden...all the power went out.

The entire block was out for about 30 minutes.

So I'm thinking. Sorry folks, thanks for coming.

Instead Bebo grabs his guitar and sits down on the steps of the alter. Some of the guys in the band grab a bunch of candles to put around him and Bebo invites everyone to move up as close as possible.

So I'm like 2 feet in front of the guy and he starts sharing some things with us about him self and telling some strories inbetween songs. We all sang along quitely while he played. There were wll over 2000 there but everyone could here him(great acoustics in that place). About 30-45 min later all the lights come back on.

Well they came back and played about another 3 songs. But the last song Bebo said he felt more comfortable down with us and sat back down on the steps and played "Hammer Hold".

That was the best concert I've ever and probably will ever attend. Bebo's really cool. There used to be some pics online. I'll see if I can't find some.

Go SPURS Go

Last edited by worshipvertical; 09-18-2002 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:37 PM

It's hard to pick just one. The ones that occur to me first are:

Warren Zevon at The Bottom Line in NYC, 1978 (maybe '79?).

The Dave Brubeck Trio with Gerry Mulligan and Paul Desmond, plus Two Generations of Brubeck, plus New Heavenly Blue, plus the Darius Brubeck Ensemble. At Avery Fisher Hall, NYC, 1973.

Billy Joel, SUNY New Paltz, NY, 1974.

Steve Goodman (solo), SUNY New Paltz, 1975 or so.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:42 PM

Sammy Hagar, VOA tour, Rupp Arena, Lexington, KY. Man, what a show he put on back then.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:44 PM
Me

Phil Keaggy. About 20 years ago I saw him for the second time. After a while he sent the band off stage. He picked up his acoustic guitar and played some good lines. Then he punched one in to his Jamman looper. He laid down a few more lines on top, then he tapped couple of rhythms on his guitar. It was beautiful. Next he picked up his electric and kept building and subtracting tracts. It was so incredible. It had the feel of watching a master at play making incredible music.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:56 PM

This is a tossup. I'll can't decide, so I'll list them both.

1) 1979 (?) Mississippi Gulf Coast Colliseum, Biloxi: Journey. Opening act: The Babies. Oh my gosh! What an incredible concert! Largest indoor crowd in the state of MS. Bigger than the sander competition (yes, beefed-up belt sanders!). The Babies played THREE encores! They were smoking! Then Journey came out and just blew us all away. Both bands in their prime!

2) 2000. Denver. Are you ready? Small concert hall. Dave Wilcox!!!! Followed by Burlap to Cashmere!!!!! FOLLOWED BY Jars of Clay!!!!!!!!! They could have ended it 2 minutes into Wilcox's playing and I would have felt it was worth the money! By the time Burlap was over, I felt I owed more!!!! I'm so sad they broke up. Then Jars... well, in typical Jars fashion, they blew me away. Kicking 12-string playing!

Wow, I think I'm sweating again just thinking about it! Thanks for bringing me back.

--jam
Old 09-18-2002, 04:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Toss-up time, here:

1972 - Triple threat lineup: Jim Croce', Doobie Brothers, & Loggins and Messina at the Knoxville, TN Civic Coliseum. Croce' was fun. It was right around the time of "Jesus is Just Alright" and The Doobies were on the rise. They simply blew the crowd away and we spent the whole concert standing on the seats. In fact, Loggins and Messina were an anti-climax with everyone slumped in their seats. What a memory.

1978 - Doobies and special guests UFO, same venue. UFO was, hmmmm, not much. The Doobies with Jeff Baxter blew the crowd away again. I missed Tommy Johnston. What was special? First real date with the gal who became my wife! Had to get special permission to take her back to the dorm late. Times have changed...

1997 - Wishbone Ash at Jaxx, Springfield VA. I got to hear and meet a group I had listened to for twenty-five years. They were pretty darned hot that night, as well.

2000 - YES "Masterworks Tour" at Virginia Beach Pavillion (covered pavillion). The weather was horrible with pelting rain and thunderstorms, but the lightning was a beautiful backdrop to a great concert. Amazingly, Jon Anderson is still a soprano, folks.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-18-2002, 04:38 PM
Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Womack
Toss-up time, here:
1972 - Triple threat lineup: Jim Croce', Doobie Brothers, & Loggins and Messina at the Knoxville, TN Civic Coliseum. Croce' was fun. It was right around the time of "Jesus is Just Alright" and The Doobies were on the rise. They simply blew the crowd away and we spent the whole concert standing on the seats. In fact, Loggins and Messina were an anti-climax with everyone slumped in their seats. What a memory.
Bob
WOW, wish I was there!
Old 09-18-2002, 04:45 PM

Default thats HARD.....

There have been a bunch

1969 Blind Faith at Kiel Aud. in St. Louis
1977 Jethro Tull at Rupp Arena Lexington Ky
1978 Jesse Winchester Bowling Green Ky. WKU
2001 Mark Knopfler, Bham AL

yo dudes.....I seen a bunch, whoa

bukwheat
Old 09-18-2002, 05:03 PM

CSN&Y, around 1975-6 at the Capital Centre in MD. 4 & 1/2 hours of magical music that didn't end until they cut the power on them! Neil Youn was on fire that night and stole the show!!!

James
Old 09-18-2002, 05:23 PM

1985 - Queen Live in Sydney
Old 09-18-2002, 05:23 PM

The Beatles in Dallas, Texas in the year 1964. I was fourteen at the time. Me and the rest of the band were in the "nose bleed" section with binoculars trying to see what chords Lennon was playing.

I will never forget that night.

PS good to see Wishbone Ash remembered in this thread
Old 09-18-2002, 05:26 PM
meridian

Gotta be The Who premiering "Tommy" at The Fillmore East in 1969.
Old 09-18-2002, 05:42 PM

Cream at the Spectrum (1967 or 68???)

Vanilla Fudge -- Glassboro State College 1970

Who at the Electric Factory (Tommy Tour, 1970?)

Jimi Hendrix -- Spectrum --- ????

John Martyn, Free and Traffic -- New York 1971 (on my birthday)

Steely Dan (as an opener for Loudon Wainwright III) at Bijiou Cafe (50 people max seating) 1972

Fleetwood Mac ending their tour -- Santa Barbara (UCSB outdoors) 1976

Taylorstock -- 2002

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification