The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2002, 11:36 AM

Default What is the best way to record on a budget?

Specifically what should I buy to have a simple setup to record guitar tracks and vocals. I already have a computer and looking to spend less than $500 on other stuff I need.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:55 AM

Hi nnvan,

Answering your question begs another - what quality are you looking for? Even a semi-quality setup will more than likely set you back more than $500.

For starters, assess your soundcard. If it's a Soundblaster, or one that came with your computer, you'll probably be disappointed with it. Most standard recording soundcards run in the neighborhood of $200 and above. I personally use the Delta 66 w/Omni box that goes for $400, and have no complaints. The advantage to this box is that you also gain two preamps, which brings me to the next portion of your signal chain.

Depending on, once again, the quality you're looking for, it's recommended to mic your guitar for recordings. This brings up the question of what mic to use. A pair of Marshall MXL 603s' do an excellent job on acoustic guitar, and in a pinch, you could use them for vocals too. A large diaphragm mic would be much better for vocals, and you have a lot of choices here, ranging from $100 to thousands. A pair of MXL's will set you back about $160. These mics also need a preamp (1 for each mic). The Omni box comes with two clean, quiet preamps, but there are others out there if you find a different soundcard you'd prefer. The M-Audio Audio Buddy has two preamp channels which are also clean and quiet, and it goes for around $80.

Additionally, you'll need software with which to record. So far, we're up to roughly $560 between the soundcard and mics, so that doesn't leave a whole lot for software. One program that gets very good reviews is N-Track. It's a shareware program, but the shareware version greatly limits what you can do. The $42 full version unlocks everything, and does a nice job. I've toyed with N-Track, but currently use Vegas Audio, which goes for $200+. It's just like anything - the more you spend on software the better it will be, but check around and make sure it'll do what you want.

Really, it all comes down to the quality you'd like to attain. Feel free to ask any more questions you have and I or someone else will be glad to answer. Also, you may want to check out the forum below. Those guys really know their stuff when it comes to recording. Good luck!

www.homerecording.com/bbs

Last edited by ihs; 10-11-2002 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-11-2002, 02:50 PM

nnvan; The point that was just made was a good one. What results are you looking for? I started out with, beleive it or not, two cassette decks and two tapes. That was long ago. these days I have a digital hard disk recorder with 256 virtual tracks, on board effects, including compression and other engineering goodies, It's a pretty full-range porta-studio, about the size of a laptop. and the latest version lets you import and export .wav files. Ive seen several members on this board that I know of from the forum behind the product I'm speaking of, and I know they would tell you the same thing. This machine is it>>>go to tascam.com and get on the forum there for the 788...check it out....I'm not selling the unit,,,,I just think it's the best peice of recording gear out there

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 10-12-2002, 12:20 PM

Default stand alone vs. computer

hey nnvan

...if you get a tascam portastudio or a similar product, you don't necessarily need a computer. It sounds like you are expecting to use the computer though.. but from what i understand, you have two basic choices:

1) get a portable stand-alone analog or digital 4-8 track recorder (like the tascam portastudio) (anywhere from $350-$1000+) to record guitar and vocals.
PROS: you can take it anywhere and it's portable. You can take it to a rehearsal and record stuff. etc, it's easier in terms of user interface (knobs and sliders and such are literally hands on) in comparison to using computer software (learning the program and using the mouse to control sliders, etc.)
CONS: you may be limited to being able to only record 1-2 sounds sources at one time and limited to a certain amount of tracks (4-10). lack of sound editing, etc., and if you care about sound quality, you will need to invest in a good preamp for your mic and a compressor for vocals. (another $200-$400+)

2) get a quality soundcard for your computer (anywhere from $250-$500+) that has mic inputs and line inputs and use tracking software such as Cold Fusion Studio/Cakewalk Audio (another $150-$300+)
PROS: much more versatility and options to edit and manipulate the tracks you record. You can record up to 32-64 tracks total, depending on software as opposed to a stand alone's limited amount of tracks.
CONS: may be a bigger learning curve than a portable unit to learn the ins and outs of the recording suite software. it's not as portable, depending on if you find a good program that can do input compression and preamplification, you may need to get a preamp and compressor too.

Hehe. .so that's my 27cents... when it comes down to it, if you want something simple, get a portable analog stand alone unit, plus some basic mics (Shure 57/58) and cables and you should be around $500.. if you are into heavy, multilayered, multi effects recording, go for a soundcard and computer software. Usually starting with a stand alone unit is the best bet, and when you are ready for more options and recording crazyness you can go for the "computer as a studio" option. Hope that helps ya out.

-Bunnygirl

ps. a good bulliten board for home recording is at the homerecording.com BB: http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/
the 'newbie' topic in 'general discussions' section is especially helpful, i go there all the time. Good luck!
614CE (regret selling this one big-time)
Old 10-13-2002, 06:52 AM

Budget recording in my experience translates to about $2k. Seriously, if you're going the computer route, you need to really dedicate that computer to sound recording. That means you're extremely finicky about what software, patches, updates, etc.. go on it. It means no internet browsing, no email, no cute screen savers, no M$ office products. Personally, I chose boxed solution dedicated to recording (Tascam 788) and haven't regretted it one bit.

Rick
Old 10-13-2002, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

I agree with RDuke. I considered the computer route, but instead I chose the stand alone system with a Yamaha MD-8 recorder, Hafler amp, Tannoy monitors and a Teac cd recorder. Given the "joy of eBay' the whole setup cost me about $1000

I specifically wanted that digital 8 track recorder because the mixer section is built in... with literal knobs, not a little LED screen My ear isn't good enough to wait more than a couple seconds to hear the difference between the knobs twiddled one way, then the next way. With my previous recorder, I had to go into an LED screen, go to a graphic of one knob, turn it, listen, go to the next knob graphic, turn it... and in the end, it would take me 30-40 seconds to change the settings. With the knobs, I can turn two at a time and hear something immediately. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

The difference I noticed was that entry level equipment like casette tape machines seem to have little mixer sections. Genuine studios have panels with the knobs, not computer operators working at screens so much, though they do exist. I felt the Yamaha MD-8 was a throwback, but more like working in a studio and for my simple mind, better than having way too many things to do through one set of buttons and a screen like the computer.

Old 10-13-2002, 10:51 AM

I've got a 788 portastudio, Logic Audio, Cakewalk 9, Power Tracks pro, and Sound Forge 5. What I actually use is the 788 and run the stereo mixes through the S/PDIF out to Sound Forge for 24 bit waveform editing. It works great but that's a lot more than your $500 budget.

Lets see, a couple of inexpensive all purpose condensers (Oktava 012's or SP B-1's), a stereo preamp (Presonus blue tube or the like), Power Tracks pro from PG music (cheap but powerfull) through Soundblaster live. That should leave you with enough left over for a couple of pizzas while you watch the Power Tracks tutorial.
Old 10-15-2002, 02:00 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I met a guy this weekend who is going to hook me up with some recording software. I'm going to use the mixer at church and now I just need to figure out a good interface between the mixer and the computer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification