The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-14-2002, 07:10 AM

Default Direct Box Question?

My limited public performances have only been with the use of a small amplifier when unamplified wasn't loud enough.
It is my understanding that a "direct box" can be used to play through a PA system via a microphone cable. Is there a "best" direct box for acoustic applications? (brand name, model?)
Is any other equipment needed to play through a PA?
Is there any benefit to having an external preamp such as a Fishman Pro-Eq II or Pro-Eq Platinum in addition the the onboard blender? Would this give you the ability to "fine tune" the tone, balance, etc.?
Thanks is advance for any help and advice!

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic
Old 10-14-2002, 11:47 AM

I can't answer all of your questions, but I can tell you a little about my experience with the Raven Labs PMB-1 preamp that I recently bought. I use it between my 714 and the house mixer, and I like it very much. It allows you to control the amount of signal from your onboard blender's mic in addition to the UST. I also really like the ability to use its effects loop so that I can add just a hair of chorus through my chorus box when I want...and it has a handy "mute" switch that I can use when unplugging.
I also seriously considered the Presonus Acousti-q preamp, but the fact that it did not have the effects loop circuitry made the decision for me. I heard Paul Baloche play his Langeans through the Presonus using a Baggs Duet system and it sounded really nice. I just was not sure how much of the "sound" was attributed to the Presonus since I never tried one in the store.
Herb
Old 10-14-2002, 11:51 AM

I've played through several brands of direct boxes (I don't pay attention to what they were), and I have not noticed any difference in tone between them. I think the EQ control you have on your guitar, combined with that on the PA, is more than enough to make your Taylor sound great through the PA.
'01 Fender Strat Deluxe
'90 Alvarez 5040
'76 Yamaha FG300
How hard can music be? There's only 12 notes.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:29 PM

I am using a both Whirlwind DI, and a Rane DI -- both are unpowered and have two 1/4" ins and a single xlr out. You can go direct to the board with that, and if you want to/need to, can take the 2nd 1/4" jack and run into your amp for additional monitor (not that I've ever had trouble with a Sound Guy not giving me enough monitor... (HA!))

At any rate, a good DI should run ya about $30-40...

hth

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 10-14-2002, 12:48 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

'96 Taylor 514C
'97 Taylor 514CW
'99 Taylor K14C
'06 Taylor GSMC
'03 Gretsch Nashville Classic

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification