The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Home / P.C. Recording

I know nothing about recording to your hard drive other than there is software out there that enables you to do it.

Can someone offer up an "inexpensive" system for me to start dabbling in home recording? All I want to do is create some simple MP3's for personal use, or maybe sharing via email.

What do I need in terms of hardware and software? Other than the computer itself of course. What is the price, if it can be discussed as a "non-Taylor" item? Think "starter kit".

Thanks,
Old 10-09-2002, 09:29 AM

Mike,
I've done some recording with a borrowed 4-track gizmo that recorded to a tape cassette (Tascam 424). Then mixed it down to a standard 2 tracks.

I've also gotten a copy of Cakewalk Home Studio (~$90). It has lots of features for recording MIDI and audio. I plug my guitars into the sound card. My keyboard (Kurzweil PC2x) I plug into a MIDI interface. There are lots and lots of options for recording, mixing, dubbing, etc. etc. They have a product called Guitar Tracks Pro (~$100) that is strickly audio (no MIDI support). They both do the same thing. You can create an MP3 when you get your project the way you want it. It comes with a demo MP3 converter that burns out in 30 days unless you pay an additional $26.

I've done studio recording where a couple of engineers took care of all the details. This is my first real experiment with home recording where I am the engineer. The learning curve is steep to start with. This product comes with some tutorials that I found helpful because there are lots of places where you can get stuck (maybe they should call it QuickSand rather than Cakewalk).

But it is lots of fun. And the quality is good (referring to the sound quality not my playing ). My wife is learning the hammer dulcimer and likes to play to my guitar. I've made CD's for her to practice with that has songs in different speeds.

Between the 2 approaches I prefer recording to the PC using Cakewalk.

Steve
Old 10-09-2002, 09:30 AM

Here's a really cheap setup:

Plug directly into your sound card - use a 1/4-to-mini adapter (about $1 at Wally World)

Check out nTrack Studio for recording/mixing etc. This is shareware, demo version has unlimited time, so you can learn/demo it at your own speed. The licensed version which turns on all the bells an whistles is only $42 ($62 for the 24-bit version) - compare that with the price of Cakewalk, et. al. NTrack is some pretty good software, by the way, so don't let the fact that it's shareware fool you.
Oh, it's at www.ntrack.com

So, that's about $43 bucks. That will get you going.

--jam
Old 10-09-2002, 09:40 AM

Mike:

This may be more than you want to pay, but...

I got the Protools LE system about 6 months ago and like it alot. Cost is usually between $699-$799 (the package with bundled effects software is about $1200). Includes sound card, Digi001 breakout box and Protools software.

Breakout box is an 8 input "mixer" with headphone out, phantom power and midi-capabilities. Two of the channels are XLR/1/4", the other 6 are 1/4".

Software is 24 track with full edit/mix capabilities. Comes in MAC and Win2000XP versions - they include software for each with the package. For basic recording the software is very intuitive. I've gone a few weeks without recording and don't have to refer to operator's manuals when I begin again. I've only scratched the surface of Protools capabilities, but so far - so good. Of course, the better the PC - the better your expience will be.

My other PC recording experience is with Aardvark products (forget the manufacturers name). Paid about $500 for software, sound card and breakout box. Difficult to use, only 8 tracks, quality is poor. Required 2 software packages to run to record. Bad experience.

You usually get what you pay for.

Hope this helps and happy recording.

Rodger
Old 10-09-2002, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Home / P.C. Recording

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike G
...Can someone offer up an "inexpensive" system ...
DANGER WILL ROBINSON - DANGER!
Hey mike, that's exactly what I asked early last year. I had a keyboard, and a cheep mixer and I had a bootleg copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio. I ran everything through my SoundBlaster, using an $89 Sure SM58 (the industry standard!). Well, then I visited my friend Gutch over the summer, and, well ... well ... um ... I purchased a QSR sound module, and that was fun, for a while. Just recently I picked up Cakewalk's Sonar ($500), A decent large diaphram microphone and fancy cable, stand and pop filter ($400), then it didn't sound very good through the SoundBlaster, so I bought a delta 4/4 audio interface ($250), and now I just read a post by david_m that gave me an idea for mic placement, and now, I'm gonna buy two more microphones ($180 each).

The bottom line, my "inexpensive" hard disc recording system is now up over $2500!

Have fun, I agree with jam. That is a simple system to get you "started", but I think you will quickly go beyond "inexpensive". Funy thing is, I don't actually do much recording, but I just can't stop buying things. Oh no, is this ... RAS (Recording equipment Acquisition Syncrome)?

"And that's all I have to say about that" --Forest Gump
---------------------------------------
2003 Taylor Big Baby
TaylorsStock 810-CE-LTD
1980 Guild D46 BLD
2005 T5-S1 Honey Sunburst with maple top
Old 10-09-2002, 10:34 PM
Cocobologist

WAIT ROB -- DON'T --- ARRRRRGHHH!!!

Before you spend a dime on another microphone -- CALL ME!!! Better yet -- I will call you tomorrow afternoon on my drive back to Minneapolis (GOD, I HATE MY JOB!!!). I have less costly options available to you!!!

Dear God, please forgive me for what I have done to this man. He used to be a humble, financially responsible person. Due to my wreckless display of equipment and high credit card limits, he now buys custom guitars and expensive recording gear in pursuit of the "Perfect" system (we all know that isn't possible, right?!?). Please tell him that, unless he stops now, he will be doomed to a life of paper cuts from opening boxes, and eternal confusion from trying to understand Roland Owner's Manuals.

One more thing -- Make him lend me his new 810ce Ltd for a few weeks -- It looks really cool!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-10-2002, 05:51 AM

I have used Sounic Foundry Vegas and Cool Edit Pro. Both work extremely well, however I preffered Cool Edit Pro.

www.syntrillium.com (Cool Edit Pro)
www.sounicfoundry.com

Cheers,
Steve Z
Old 10-10-2002, 08:42 AM

I use the Sonic Foundry line of products (Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge) along with a Delta Omni I/O Box interfaced with the Delta 66 soundcard. I've got a pair of Marshall MXL-603s small diaphragm mics, a Neumann TLM103 and a Rode NT1000. I currently track and mix using Sony 7506 headphones, and monitors are on the way around Christmas. All told, that's some serious cash, without including stands, cables, etc., and as you can see, this stuff adds up in a hurry.

The one thing I don't have is a dedicated recording room. This forces me to record at quiet times of the day, and even then I sometimes have problems. I'm certainly not a pro, or even close, but my setup seems good enough that I know it's not what's holding me back.

Last edited by ihs; 10-11-2002 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-10-2002, 08:50 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutch
...and eternal confusion from trying to understand Roland Owner's Manuals.

This is hysterically funny...

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 10-10-2002, 08:01 PM

Thanks all for your replies. I have plenty to go on now.

Best,
Old 10-11-2002, 02:31 PM

I agree with Steve Z -- Cool Edit (and the new Cool Edit Pro) are excellent ways to get your feet wet uhile using standard Soound Card stuff. Once you are familiar with working with the waves and such, you can decide where you want to go -- my friend John just went the next step and built a ProTools LE system.

Me -- I'm a Cool Edit kida guy!!!

'03 714CE-LTD -- '92 K22CE -- '95 PRS
Old 10-11-2002, 04:14 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally posted by Guitar Dad

This is hysterically funny...
Hey Dad - You must own Roland gear too!! Yeah, it's real funny, until you try to figure something out on the equipment and you reach for the manual. May as well be reaching for a Ball-Peen hammer to bash your skull!!!

I had this experience with Roland Studio Pack. The VM-3100 Pro is an outstanding value for a digital mixer, but it has taken 7 months, two internet forums, a newsgroup, and the aforementioned hammer to become even somewhat proficient on it. Tell ya what, though -- Combine the Roland Studio Pack with Sonar 2.0 and you've got a KILLER Project Studio setup!!!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 10-11-2002, 05:09 PM
scegla

Yeah, it always start innocently enough. "I just want to play around a little with recording." RLWING sums it up pretty well. It's easy to start simple but then the 'upgrade creep' starts. For me, it was Cakewalk 9 then its Sonar. Then it effects packages and a better sound card. "Hey I need a mixer and a second mike. Cords (and chords), I need more cords and boom stands too!" That's me and I STILL HAVEN'T RECORDED ANYTHING!!!! ARRRGGGG!! (But it's SO much fun.)
Old 10-13-2002, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutch
and eternal confusion from trying to understand Roland Owner's Manuals.
Boy, am I glad to hear someone else say that. Now I know it wasn't just me. I had a BOSS BR-8 that was probably a wonderful machine, but the manual was written in English that had been translated from ancient Phoenecian by a dyslexic Japanese country music fan who stuttered. When I sold that machine, I almost felt guilty supplying the manual to the buyer.

Old 10-13-2002, 02:21 PM

My new mics arrived yesterday morning. Thanks to Gutch, I saved about $150 by purchasing Marshall instead of Audio-Technica. Got to try em out too. They make my BAD guitar playing sound really really good! The playing is still bad, but it's really neat to hear the guitar separation in the headphones.

"And that's all I have to say about that" --Forest Gump
---------------------------------------
2003 Taylor Big Baby
TaylorsStock 810-CE-LTD
1980 Guild D46 BLD
2005 T5-S1 Honey Sunburst with maple top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification